Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

T Rick

Practically Family
Hey, enjoy it! I got excited even spotting it on eBay, and I didn't even bid. I thought it completely original too, though I'm far from an expert. Probably not at all common, because they were obviously quite expensive in their time. I suspect when you compare prices of other vintage hats now to what they went for back in the day, you actually got quite a bargain on this one. Do you think that story would work on your wife? ;)

MDphoto

One of the Regulars
Hey, enjoy it! I got excited even spotting it on eBay, and I didn't even bid. I thought it completely original too, though I'm far from an expert. Probably not at all common, because they were obviously quite expensive in their time. I suspect when you compare prices of other vintage hats now to what they went for back in the day, you actually got quite a bargain on this one. Do you think that story would work on your wife? ;)

Think it would just easier to hide it. Let it blend into the collection. Lol

HatsEnough

Banned
LOL.

Yeah, It would be easier just to try and hide it.

As to what you were saying on prices, TRick, I agree. I think we are paying a fraction of what the original prices adjusted for inflation would be in many cases. Thinking of how a Stetson 100 went for $100 in 1950 and a like Stetson today is over $1,000, the fact that vintage ones rarely get over $400 today on the bay tells me that we are paying no where near the original prices.

The only exception is the hats that are trending. Like Whippets, or Playboys.

I mean, a Whippet was a $10 hat in the old days. A modern Whippet is going for just under $200. A vintage one seems to fluctuate from between $150 to $300 (except sometimes those size 7 and under often don't even hit the $150 mark).

Anyway, I think if I paid what I paid for that 7X, it is way under the adjusted for inflation price that the original buyer did back in the day.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I'm not sure how to feel about this:

Just walked into an antique shop that I frequent, and the clerk had 4 new hats, mint condition, all 7 3/8 (a little too big for me, but I would have considered padding them nonetheless), and she hadn't even priced them yet. Among these hats were a tan/pecan Stetson 4X OR, a soft stingy black Kevin McAndrew 5X velour, a tweed London Fog and a cheap looking straw Resistol cowboy hat.

I asked what she wanted for them, and the reply was "hold on a minute-- let me check ebay." A few minutes later, $55 each for the OR and McAndrew.

Ouch! So much for getting a good deal out of a small midwest shop anymore (at least according to my own wallet)! I probably would've done it for the OR, if it were my size, but I'm used to getting bargain basement prices from these places. Oh, well.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was bidding like crazy on that one, and I was the second-to-last bidder. The winning bid hiked it up $70 + in the last 5 seconds, leaving me absolutely infuriated!

I will never win.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
If you want a hat with that name on it, in that size, I think you'll have to get really lucky to score one for under $200. On the plus side, they seem to be coming up somewhat frequently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart