Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

T Rick

Practically Family

I was bidding like crazy on that one, and I was the second-to-last bidder. The winning bid hiked it up $70 + in the last 5 seconds, leaving me absolutely infuriated!

I will never win.
Sure you will! Just have to keep on trying. But keep in mind, how many want THAT particular hat in a larger size, I'm also surprised it didn't go higher. But I suspect the winning bidder's top bid was well North of $200, and I'll bet he was tickled it came in under that mark.

I'd suggest you bid just a wee bit later (probably would not have affected the winning bid, I'd imagine it was either preplanned or pre placed with a snipe service). Bid just a bit later, and if you really, really want it, raise your bid a bit (letting that one go wasn't so bad, check the size tag, it was a much later model, therefore less desireable and should be less expensive- but the name sells at this point- you'd do better to bide your time and strike hard when just the right hat comes along).

Yup. I was surprised that didn't bust the 200 mark.
Me too, but like I said, check the size tag. Then again, also like I said, I'll bet the winner had a lot of room left in his max bid.

Last edited:

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
PB Straw Indy

I finally scored one on eBay, from one of our number here at TFL! Gotta hella deal on what looks to be a great hat and I am as pleased as PUNCH!

IJPBstraw3.jpg

I have coveted one of these for some time & am excited & grateful! RBH looks great in his. I hope my long search for a "go-to" Summer lid is finished.

IJ_PBstraw.jpg

IJPBstraw3.jpg

IJPBstraw4.jpg

Sweat needs a little Lexol, but I think I am good to go!

T Rick

Practically Family
Rick, great looking Milan! What size is it (and how'd I miss it?? :D). Glad you found one. I need to do the same, have been going in too many different directions.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks!

Rick, great looking Milan! What size is it (and how'd I miss it?? :D). Glad you found one. I need to do the same, have been going in too many different directions.

It was described as a "loose 7 3/8". And yeah, I think it got past allot of folks, not just you. I never expected to win. :D

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family

Jeff,

I was watching that second hat and lost track of the time. When I came back you had it-LOL. Good 7 5/8 hats are hard to find on the Bay. Enjoy it. Both hats look great and were a good buy.

Terry "The Hat"

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
just bought this. I have NO idea what it is, or why I impulsively clicked. It's somewhat troubling, actually. It was listed as a derby.
Anyway, I hope to post more pics when it arrives, but does anyone know anything about this maker, or what kind of a hat this is? (I posted a similar question in the ask a question thread)
kgrhqiokpse3t1knecubof8.jpg

kgrhqiokjye4eh220fbof80.jpg

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
just bought this. I have NO idea what it is, or why I impulsively clicked. It's somewhat troubling, actually. It was listed as a derby.
Anyway, I hope to post more pics when it arrives, but does anyone know anything about this maker, or what kind of a hat this is? (I posted a similar question in the ask a question thread)

Eilerman Clothing Stores in Newport and Covington, Kentucky

Search these terms and you will find a few tidbits on the man and the company he founded.

T Rick

Practically Family
Jeff,

I was watching that second hat and lost track of the time. When I came back you had it-LOL. Good 7 5/8 hats are hard to find on the Bay. Enjoy it. Both hats look great and were a good buy.

Terry "The Hat"
Two words. A-u-c-t-i-o-n S-n-i-p-e-r.

You're welcome. ;)

fmw

One Too Many
The only way to determine the manufacturer is to find something under the sweat band. Maybe something will be there when it arrives. I have a very nice homburg that is a mystery manufacturer something like your new hat.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
LOL. I hope he wasn't wearing this lid at the time of said incident...
Thanks, all.
Apparently the Eilerman guy started this clothing company in about 1915, perhaps in or near the city of Lima, and apparently has descendants that are also trying to find out more info. that's all I got so far.

fmw

One Too Many
Hey, that is right across the river from where I was born!
Covington is the same town that Cincinnati Mayor Jerry Springer got caught using a city check to pay a prostitute in the 70s. (Yes that Jerry Springer)

I'll be darned. I didn't know prostitutes took checks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart