Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

T Rick

Practically Family
I almost bid on that one, too, TRick. But, I decided against it because it is the same color as the other Playboy I have. If it was a different color I would have been fighting you for it!

Worked out well then. Planning to go after this one with a bit of gusto is part of why I refrained from bidding on your 7X Clear Beaver the other day. Only so much room in the budget.

I initially had a pretty lofty snipe set for this one. Reduced it in the final hour, thinking it was not my "dream" color (green- I am assuming this one is a steel blue/gray, though it's not certain with computers!) and that it was after all, rather a lot like my Champ Featherweight (or vice versa). As it turns out, I "over bid" on this one substantially anyway. No way I thought it would end up under $100 (had I thought so, I probably would have snagged that pristine OR Twenty Five from the day before!).

T Rick

Practically Family

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
wow! that's lots of stetson.
The mysterious impulse buy I made last week arrived today. It is definitely a derby, not a stingy homburg. the crown had simply been dented in. It's a nice little hat, actually. lightweight fur felt, nice d'orsay curl, grosgrain ribbon. it needed a good cleaning, and i may have to work a little to get the old smokey smell out of it, but it's not horrible.
I'll post pics-probably get to that tomorrow.

the strange thing is that it has a kind of canvas cloth sweatband, along the lines of what i've seen on Baileys, but not as plump-- only it's reeded! I've never seen that before. I believe it's original, judging from thedry black deterioration dust around the inner portion of the sweatband. The general dimensions, binding, lining, and hat construction is reminiscent of my 1960s Dobbs derby: pretty compact but not rigidly stiff, with a satin liner and plastic liner-tip-protector, dealie.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Great bowler, Josh! Will you have to stretch it much?
Here's the Eilerman's Hat, with a detail of the reeded cloth sweatband.
sderby001.jpg

sderby003.jpg

sderby006.jpg

sderby009.jpg

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
Who bought the Taupe Whippet for $331? Anyone...............Anyone? LOL, if I pay that much for a Whippet or Playboy on Ebay I don't think I'd have the guts to tell you guys about, let alone my wife!

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Will you have to stretch it much?
Is it possible to stretch a bowler? I thought they were a bit stiff and shellacked for that?

Well, you can't really stretch a bowler. They are way too stiff for stretching and if you stretch these old bowlers, they just seem to crack. Some of the later semi-stiff or flexible bowlers that came out in the 50's and 60's may be possible to stretch due to the lack of so much shellac. Even though I am a size 7, my head measures exactly 21 7/8, so a small 7. Sometimes these old 6 7/8's run a little big and fit perfectly and if not, then I will just have to wear the hat like most people did back then.....3/4 of the way up their forehead. :)

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Who bought the Taupe Whippet for $331? Anyone...............Anyone? LOL, if I pay that much for a Whippet or Playboy on Ebay I don't think I'd have the guts to tell you guys about, let alone my wife!

I've said it time and time again.....I just....dont....get...it. These Whippets are going for so much when in actuality they were just regular 50's Stetson hats. Nothing out of the ordinary or special. They were a fairly cheap hat back then and even though the proportions are nice, other manufactures made hats that look identical to Whippets which can be had for a fraction of the price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou