Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

MDphoto

One of the Regulars
Just lost this auction in the last 2 seconds: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...28&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&autorefresh=true

I hesitated, trying to figure out if I really wanted it or not lol. Got beat by a dollar for my hesitation. Oh well. Was surprised, though, that a Whippet was being listed as a western/cowboy hat lol lol lol!

I was watching that one too. The eBay app for the iPad wouldn't let me see all the pics in the auction and of course the Whippet pic (if there was one) wouldn't show up. I just could not tell what type of condition it was in.

HatsEnough

Banned
Thanks, DJH. If it had exceeded $100 like Whippets usually do I would have dropped out. Surprisingly, no bidders after my $90 bid. By Fall I think I might sell my 1950s era Whippet its a bit big for me at a roomy 7-1/8, anyway.

I recently picked up this old (1915) calendar. This German company (Felix Weissbach, Glauchau) was the worlds largest brand of crushable hat fabric.

5958455852_cb5d3a2182_b.jpg

5957896115_c1b6182ae2_b.jpg

5957896157_936421f9ee_b.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
This morning I had my only bidder back out of a wool derby bid hours before the auction ended because they decided they didn't really want it anymore. I'm new at this: was I wrong to allow the cancellation?

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sharp Shootin'

Which of you jokers got here seconds before I did? D@mn your' eyes! :eusa_doh:
I ain't the fastest draw around anymore! Well done looks a real beaut'! :eusa_clap

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
You did the right thing.

Thanks, zetwal. I hope it was right by business standards, and not just by anti-wool sentiments! :p
Ok, another silly embarrassing question for you experienced ebay sellers: what would be considered an average or reasonable turnaround time between invoice sent and payment received?

that's a beautiful bound brown Dobbs, btw.

Last edited:

T Rick

Practically Family
This morning I had my only bidder back out of a wool derby bid hours before the auction ended because they decided they didn't really want it anymore. I'm new at this: was I wrong to allow the cancellation?
Forcing an unwanting Buyer to go through with a sale (even though you had a right to) would simply lead to an unhappy Customer, which is bad for business. In the end, even if you have to re-list, you made the right call.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I tied the high bid for your milan, Josh. I'm surprised it didn't go for more.

Well I want to thank everyone for their bid! I'm happy with the price it went for, but to be real honest, I am kind of shocked it didn't go a bit higher as well. Ive only seen a couple of these 50's open road milans, and especially in a 7 1/2, trends would show that similar hats went for a bit more. Like I said, I'm very happy with all the positive response I got for this sale. I know if this thing said "Whippet," the final auction price would have been doubled. :eek:
Again, THANK YOU to everyone who bid on the hat!

The ebay price range for desirable vintage hats in very good condition that are well advertised and photographed is mostly in the $100 - $200 range. The occasional hat drifts higher. My guess is the knowledge base provided by the Lounge and a relatively small number of bidders are responsible for the highest bid prices on many auctions.

Exotic panamas are few and far between on ebay. Given the price one would have to pay for a new fine weave montecristi from the premier sources, the ebay auctions for high quality vintage are probably among the best hat values out there. The customers for new fino fino finos don't seem to be bidding up these vintage thousand dollar hats... yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters