Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

T Rick

Practically Family
I admire the guts on whoever submitted a less than 50% offer on http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180700441406&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT and had it accepted. Nice going!

Well, my "standard" initial offer for any item with a best offer and a BIN is generally just slightly North of 50%. I figure they're fishing, why shouldn't I? If it's not auto-rejected (maybe 10% of the time), it sometimes sells (maybe 30% of the time), or gets a counter offer (another 30%). The other 40% it's rejected, but I can still make a higher one. A few weeks back, I did place an offer on {a certain hat whose description I thought better of posting here} (BIN was $295 IIRC). That one was well below 50%, and was flat out rejected. It's been relisted at a lower amount now (BIN still too high, and I need a break for my budget).

T Rick

Practically Family
Well, if this ribbon-less Strat went to anyone here, sorry about the $12.50 I cost you. I really shouldn't even be bidding, but I felt it was worthwhile trying to "steal" it. Except for one bidder, it would have worked!

Second place, I was beat by $1 (plus whatever additional room he had in his bid, which I'll bet was substantial).

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Could you post some snaps? I had a go but I supected it would head uphill and it was not my real size.

001iwy.jpg

002ewe.jpg

003yjp.jpg

As you can see, it's not as rilico described.
"That golden Leghorn straw is still limber and supple, with no hint of drying out—no breaks, splits, or holes." It's my fault for buying from him, it won't happen again.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Ouch. I didn't spot that in the auction photos, but I wasn't planning to bid, so I wasn't looking closely. Looking back at them, I can see that break in photo 10 and a little in 6. Still, if he had said that condition was as photographed, that would be a different story. The fact that he said there weren't any breaks or holes puts him squarely in the wrong on this one.

It's not what you bargained for, but I'd still wear it.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Great ebay victory.
Fortunately, it's not my ebay defeat,
so I don't have an ebay gripe
about this ebay item of interest.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
001iwy.jpg

002ewe.jpg

003yjp.jpg

As you can see, it's not as rilico described.
"That golden Leghorn straw is still limber and supple, with no hint of drying out—no breaks, splits, or holes." It's my fault for buying from him, it won't happen again.

That is a misrep that would cause him to lose an eBay protest. IMO he should be making amends with you at that price. Rilico is not usually a straw man and has a good rep...not th way to keep it IMO.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
That is a misrep that would cause him to lose an eBay protest. IMO he should be making amends with you at that price. Rilico is not usually a straw man and has a good rep...not th way to keep it IMO.

His response, "I certainly must have overlooked that. Does the hole look like a manufacturing defect, or a break in the straw? I still believe that the hat is in amazing condition for a straw hat eighty years old. Regards, Richard"

- rilico

MDphoto

One of the Regulars
So, who got that OR style Champ Auctioneer? I didn't bid on it (although I wanted too), but I'm curious to read/hear more about it.

Simon Collins

New in Town
I bid on it....but some one pipped me at the post while I was anguishing over whether I could afford it...

......oh sorry guys I guess I should introduce myself.....I'm the newbie here. Simon Collins is the name, Art's the game, and an Aussie to boot...hello everyone!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo