Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
The fact that it wasn't listed as Stetson related made me the only happy, lucky bidder!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160625944540&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

I spotted that one, but the seller's note that it had a "sterling" sticker on it made me suspect that it's a repro.

Fig. 1 at the bottom of the seller's description looks hauntingly familiar . . .

I found it on NYPL's digital images a while ago. Type in "hat" and you'll find a lot of great stuff.

Congrats to the buyer who got the Vita-Felt, 7 3/8 for even less than the low asking price.

vita2.jpg

vita1.jpg

Last edited:

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I spotted that one, but the seller's note that it had a "sterling" sticker on it made me suspect that it's a repro.

It actually has "sterling" engraved in the back... Is that also a sign of it being a repro?
check it out (auction pictures) I'll have it here tomorrow. Looks old...

KGrHqQOKosE33oOzvgBOLJdB9Q0_3.jpg

KGrHqNk8E4lpg0ktGBOLJZrfm8g0_3.jpg

Last edited:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
It actually has "sterling" engraved in the back... Is that also a sign of it being a repro?
check it out (auction pictures) I'll have it here tomorrow. Looks old...

Just to be clear, I suspect that it's a repro, but I don't know that it is a repro. Here's the site with the sterling repros. They also look old, but I don't think they're marked as sterling.

None of the pins I've seen, and I've had around 12 go through my hands now, have had any sort of marking. As far as I know, none of those posted in the Strat thread have the marking.

None of that means that yours is a repro, it just made me curious enough to stay out of the bidding.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
So...I got this hat on ebay for a nice price. The pictures showed a nice hat, and I'm sure it was nice when the pics were taken. Take a look:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...8&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123#ht_621wt_1152

But when I took the hat out of the box last night, the seller had pushed it down into a box too small for it, and it did this to the brim:

from the back:
DSCN3242.jpg

DSCN3241.jpg

from the front:
DSCN3240.jpg

DSCN3236.jpg

Maybe it'd be okay if I had a square head, but I don't.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
But when I took the hat out of the box last night, the seller had pushed it down into a box too small for it, and it did this to the brim:

Something I would recommend is adding a message with your paypal payment thanking the seller in advance for careful packaging and shipping. It sends that little reminder that care is noticed and appreciated. May be luck (and maybe I should knock on wood) but I have received very few carelessly packaged hats since I started adding this message.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Something I would recommend is adding a message with your paypal payment thanking the seller in advance for careful packaging and shipping. It sends that little reminder that care is noticed and appreciated.

That's good advice. And more generally, a great many ebay issues can resolved (or avoided all together) with good communication.

T Rick

Practically Family
So...I got this hat on ebay for a nice price. The pictures showed a nice hat, and I'm sure it was nice when the pics were taken. Take a look:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...8&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123#ht_621wt_1152

from the back:
DSCN3242.jpg

DSCN3241.jpg

from the front:
DSCN3240.jpg

DSCN3236.jpg

Maybe it'd be okay if I had a square head, but I don't.
Oh that's just maddening. I had that happen once with a hat, but not as severe. Once with a 60 or more year old razor display case (the original glass was shattered due to poor packing). And once when a collectible ceramic shaving mug from 50 or more years ago was placed in an envelope! (Mostly dust exited the package, hardly any pieces large enough to recognize).

It is simply a result of the Seller trying to cheap out on shipping, using too small a box to cut down on costs (that and their ignorance on hats figuring the brim can be more easily reshaped than it can). Not saying it's a total disaster to reshape, but it certainly takes time and effort, and where I come from, time = money.

I'd send the Seller the pics and ask what they propose as a solution. They may offer a return/refund (which I'm sure you don't want), but they may apologize and offer a partial refund for your trouble. And they will also learn from the experience (and I am certain they will offer something, as they no doubt have every desire to protect their 100% positive feedback). The status of that 100% would in my mind, rest on their attitude in the response (not that I'd hold them up over it- if I was otherwise satisfied, and they were at least somewhat contrite over this regardless of any offer, I'd probably still give them the positive, but certainly would like them to think about this for the future).

Last edited:

HatsEnough

Banned
Oh that's just maddening. I had that happen once with a hat, but not as severe. Once with a 60 or more year old razor display case (the original glass was shattered due to poor packing). And once when a collectible ceramic shaving mug from 50 or more years ago was placed in an envelope! (Mostly dust exited the package, hardly any pieces large enough to recognize).

On Monday I got a Knox Octagonal hat box come to me via the Post Office. The seller sent it just wrapped in brown paper instead of putting it in a box. No surprise that it got to me smashed. The bottom smashed and blown out. Imagine, putting an empty cardboard box in the mail just wrapped in paper and expecting it to get to its destination unmolested!! Frikking idiots.

So, I email them and they say, "Oh, please don't give us a negative review. We try so hard."

F-U and your "trying"! Morons.

I sure gave them a negative and they deserved it.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Just to be clear, I suspect that it's a repro, but I don't know that it is a repro. Here's the site with the sterling repros. They also look old, but I don't think they're marked as sterling.

None of the pins I've seen, and I've had around 12 go through my hands now, have had any sort of marking. As far as I know, none of those posted in the Strat thread have the marking.

None of that means that yours is a repro, it just made me curious enough to stay out of the bidding.

Thanks, lefty. Judging from the auction pictures, my pin has the red coloring that matches the ones you've sold. The repros from the site dont seem to have that detail. Either way, repro or not, I think it looks pretty nice. Is there any way to detect for sure whether or not it may be a copy once I have it?

On Monday I got a Knox Octagonal hat box come to me via the Post Office. The seller sent it just wrapped in brown paper instead of putting it in a box. No surprise that it got to me smashed. The bottom smashed and blown out. Imagine, putting an empty cardboard box in the mail just wrapped in paper and expecting it to get to its destination unmolested!! Frikking idiots.

So, I email them and they say, "Oh, please don't give us a negative review. We try so hard."

F-U and your "trying"! Morons.

I sure gave them a negative and they deserved it.

Well I guess that's one way to tackle it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou