Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

frussell

One Too Many
eBay is an interesting place. I won a brown vintage Stetson "Rancher" that had OR-similar specs, in my huge size 7 7/8. When it arrived, it had some pretty significant moth damage. I went round and round with the seller, who ended up doing the right thing and refunding my purchase price, minus all shipping to and from my house. Would have been fine, except I notice the hat is re-listed, and the seller is once again failing to mention the moth damage, even though he admitted it was there when I returned it. Hopefully, one of my large-headed brethren from the Lounge will not end up with this one. Frank.
Photo from the auction:
KGrHqRh4E3OFUlTuBOJFiRNpGQ0_3.jpg

easportsracer13

Familiar Face
I got two hats today from the Bay. One is a Vintage Dobbs. Not sure on the quality because it looks like the sweatband had been replaced at one time. The felt is very soft though. Its a weird sort of Chocolate Coal color. Sometimes its like a graphite color and other times its a dark brown color. Got it for a little over $30. Fits like a glove.

9e3276c1.jpg

7bee5c17.jpg

e00a2115.jpg

8a537d1a.jpg

11fc11be.jpg

c87b9199.jpg

easportsracer13

Familiar Face
The other one I got is this beautiful Stetson from Canada. $70. I really dont know what to say, Ill let the photos speak for themselves. Come Fall/Winter, Ill be wearing the hell out of this hat
0f1314b2.jpg

e4e90e84.jpg

2b544be2.jpg

cbaf1ee9.jpg

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Now that's just mean, Randoochie.

He got back to me, but didn't post my question on the listing:

"Dear randoochie,

Hello,
Yes itdoes have several moth bite if you look at the picture with the PIN you can see the main bite. Thanks for the question... I hope it answers your question.. LARRYG"

I'm assuming you encountered more serious mothing than what he refers to in picture #5 . . .

Last edited:

frussell

One Too Many
I counted no less than seven moth bites. Now put your stick down and quit poking that poor man. At least he responded honestly. Too bad, it was kind of a cool hat, and it fit. Stiff as a plank though. Frank

Omne

Familiar Face
Well, the $6.50 hat got here and it looked just like the picture:

Hat.jpg

One other problem was that while it was marked 7 3/8 it had shrunk quite a bit and it perched on top of my head. I'm guessing no more than a 7 1/8 at this point.

Soooo.... fired up the Jiffy J-4000 and had at it. Stretched it, shaped it some and generally mucked around with no idea of what I was doing.

Anyway, here's what it ended up looking like:

006.jpg

005.jpg

010-1.jpg

The shadow above the ribbon doesn't show without a flash. The crown came out pretty smooth all around. The ribbon is still a little large at the top but overall it looks pretty good. It's actually more brown colored in real life, closer to the liner photo.

I'll keep playing with it as time goes on. All in all a pretty good use of $6.50.... :)

One other thing, there was a label inside that looked like this:

011.jpg

016.jpg

Anyone seen this before? When was it used and by whom?

Last edited:

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, the J.C. Penny's Marathon came in today. As I had feared, the seller obviously had no idea what they were talking about lol. The hat perches atop my head the same way the Stetson homburg I'm selling does, and I'll bet it's a 7 1/8 as well. I'll take some pics and add some commentary tomorrow, but you can expect to see another classifieds link in my signature in a short while. It's a great hat and all, but I am no collector. If I can't wear it, it's gone.

On a brighter note, the vintage Resistol 4X western arrived as well, it fits, and it's FANTASTIC! I love the stiff, smooth felt on this hat, and the plump sweatband (a pleasant brown, not the modern black) makes wearing it quite comfortable. Add in the perfect 3.5'' brim (I used some steam to flatten the curl a bit after I took this picture; it's nice and modest now) and a tall, untapered Cattleman/Fort Worth crease, and I've got myself a keeper :D.

VintageResistol.jpg

Last edited:

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Neo, that's the best I've seen that crease look on someone. Must be your strong jaw!

Check out these pictures of this morning's arrival. Another brainiac with a tape gun and a roll o' paper:
DSCF1055.jpg

DSCF1056.jpg

DSCF1057.jpg

Luckily it's just a beater western I got to fix up for my wife, who decided she needs a work hat. :) Before and after pics to come in the Western thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay