Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If it's any consolation, Randooch, here's my Penny's Marathon, 2 sizes too small lol:

PennyMarathon5.jpg

Last edited:

HatsEnough

Banned
That's mighty stylish, Neo! It's quite a look.

Randooch, that is almost how my top hat came. The box ruined. Unfortunately I was not as lucky as you as my hat was also destroyed with the hat.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
If it's any consolation, Randooch, here's my Penny's Marathon, 2 sizes too small lol:

PennyMarathon5.jpg

Hmmm. Maybe you could install a looong chin strap, keep that baby in place on a windy day.

HE: yeah, I remember you had recent and similar grief, but then alluded to a possible plan for the ruined hat . . .

T Rick

Practically Family
Well, I guess I really was lucky on eBay then. But I was really miffed when the vintage bargain Adam showed up in a box too small for it anyway, with the box yet further crushed. Was almost a smooth open crown in the auction photos, but on arrival it looked like this (sorry for the blurry second photo, but it does show the condition the hat arrived in best).

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Fortunately, it is a tough hat, and I was able to steam it and smooth it back to open crown without too much difficulty. No other pics yet, as I've not gotten the bash quite how i like it yet. Hat is sort of an olive brown, with a maroon ribbon, and is unlined with an Adam tip sticker. At 7 1/8 (my size), it's a bit tight so at the smaller end of that size's range. But still quite wearable as is.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Check out these pictures of this morning's arrival. Another brainiac with a tape gun and a roll o' paper:

Luckily it's just a beater western I got to fix up for my wife, who decided she needs a work hat. :) Before and after pics to come in the Western thread.

Dang, Randooch, that just gave me flashbacks! A few years ago I won this:

Stetson3wayhatboxebayphoto.jpg

And received this:

CrushedStetson3-wayhatbox5.jpg

It wasn't the seller's fault. The box it arrived in wasn't damaged. Turned out that DHL had destroyed the box it was in along with the contents, so they'd grabbed a Frito-Lay box out of the breakroom and stuck the destroyed hatbox (which had a hat in it, by the way... but not one worth anything) inside it and delivered it to me as if nothing had happened. :mad:

The seller refunded my money and went after DHL for payment.

Glad to hear the hat is restorable!

Cheers,
Tom

HatsEnough

Banned
HE: yeah, I remember you had recent and similar grief, but then alluded to a possible plan for the ruined hat . . .

Yeah, I got it looking passable, even with the rips. I got that sheet foam rubber stuff and glued it up inside the hat. Fortunately the brim wasn't destroyed. Only the top hat body was smashed down so using the foam sheeting I was able to reform it back to about 95% of its proper shape. Only a few folds now, though the rips are still obvious on close viewing.

But the inside was cashed. The original paper liner destroyed, the crown stamp and leather sweatband separated from the hat... a real mess.

Anyway, it doesn't look to awful, but it is still not in the shape it was when it left the seller's hands.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Well, I guess I really was lucky on eBay then. But I was really miffed when the vintage bargain Adam showed up in a box too small for it anyway, with the box yet further crushed. Was almost a smooth open crown in the auction photos, but on arrival it looked like this (sorry for the blurry second photo, but it does show the condition the hat arrived in best).

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Fortunately, it is a tough hat, and I was able to steam it and smooth it back to open crown without too much difficulty. No other pics yet, as I've not gotten the bash quite how i like it yet. Hat is sort of an olive brown, with a maroon ribbon, and is unlined with an Adam tip sticker. At 7 1/8 (my size), it's a bit tight so at the smaller end of that size's range. But still quite wearable as is.

yowch. Intact, though? It still looks like a great set of colors and has a nice cav edge, no?

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
The box it arrived in wasn't damaged. Turned out that DHL had destroyed the box it was in along with the contents, so they'd grabbed a Frito-Lay box out of the breakroom and stuck the destroyed hatbox (which had a hat in it, by the way... but not one worth anything) inside it and delivered it to me as if nothing had happened. :mad:

Very strange story. I've never heard of anything like that before.

HatsEnough

Banned
Very strange story. I've never heard of anything like that before.

I can just imagine what the delivery scene looked like.

The DHL truck drives up but parks three houses down.

The driver gets out holding the box behind him.

He starts casually walking toward the house it was supposed to be delivered to and he's looking around and whistling as he walks.

He gets to the proper address, suddenly breaks into a run, throws the box at the front stoop, runs away, then repeats the casual walking and whistling.

Jumps in the truck and speeds away leaving a patch of rubber.

"What?" he says.

Kkaderly

One of the Regulars
Finally one that fits!!!! This one is supper light and is in NOS condition ... No issues with shipping tha fully!!! Hate to see crushed boxes at the door!!

Picked this up on a quick buy it now! I think it was on for 15min!

4fa88a0e.jpg

eac7e9fb.jpg

0c932f0f.jpg

easportsracer13

Familiar Face
Ive got a Defeat for you all. I picked up this "suppossed" Fur Felt Stetson that was missing its liner. Well i got it today and I can tell you off the bat, its not a Fur hat, its wool, and I doubt its a Stetson. The hatband is made of cheap poly stuff with plastic buckles. Ive requested a refund.

26a98e25.jpg

4a184fcd.jpg

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Awesome snag there, Kkaderly :eusa_clap.

EASports, sorry to hear about that Defeat. I hope the seller will do the honorable thing. More often than not, these sellers have absolutely no idea about what they're selling. Good luck!

Finally one that fits!!!! This one is supper light and is in NOS condition ... No issues with shipping tha fully!!! Hate to see crushed boxes at the door!!

Picked this up on a quick buy it now! I think it was on for 15min!

4fa88a0e.jpg

Handsome profile on that mid-ribbon Stetson... good hunting there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL