Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
carter said:
4ade_1.JPG

I like that one, Carter. Neat lid -- a pugaree is really going to make for a great look. Be sure to show us the finished product! ;)

Cheers,
JtL

Slim Portly

One Too Many
randooch said:
Slim, I'd say that's a good reason to buy another! :)
lol

I'm afraid that I need to start cutting back on my spending very soon. I have given myself until the new year to be as free as I wish with my spending, so I may be able to sneak in one or two more in the next couple of weeks.

carter

I'll Lock Up
THanks, JTL. I hope it looks good with the dimensions posted. If not, a brim trim may be in order.
Have you posted anything on that Australian OR yet? I decided not to bid on it. Too small. Did someone here win it?

dhermann1, That's a neat hat. The Pilbara would be an excellent candidate for a puggaree if he doesn't like the thin leather ribbon.
6f56_1.JPG

Feraud, Prices on eaby certainly seem lower. I think it may be a combination of more items being offered and fewer buyers than usual. I do believe the current economic crunch is contributing to this. It's an astute buyer's market.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Feraud said:
Does it look like the price of vintage fedoras on Ebay have dropped over the last few months? I am wondering if the economy has hit this segment of the market.
I was wondering the same thing myself. I have seen some amazing hats go for a pittance, and the difference between the high "Buy It Now" prices of merchants and the low final bids accepted by individual sellers seems to be growing larger and larger. Another contribution to this may be the fact that, due to the worsening economy, people are willing to part with more family heirlooms than before, thus creating a glut of older hats. I swear that there are more old Homburgs, derbys, and top hats than ever before.

Wil Tam

Practically Family
Borsalino!

For a Whopping 26 clams!!

Not really into black Fedoras .. but I couldn't resist the way low starting bid of $9.99 for a Borso! I nabbed it in the last 30 seconds with a max bid of $50.00!

I can't wait to get it .. I'll post pics when it arrives.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Remember this one?
Check out the ad, said to be from 1946. I wish the auction photo had been bigger.
stetson1946plasticfelt.jpg

Dinerman said:
I would have gone for this one, but at 7-5/8, it's too big for me. Someone got a heck of a deal though, at a $10 sale price.

I'm posting it here because I have a question. Anyone seen a stetson plastic Felt before? It looks like an old one- '40s or '50s, but I can't say I've ever seen one.

54be_1.jpg

55f6_1.jpg

56ca_1.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
Hope it was very well-ventilated

I'm surprised the copy doesn't read, The New Tweed Felt That Makes Heads Burn.

The woman's expression appears to be more quizzical than admiring.

HATCO

Vendor
If anyone has any of these hats I would be very interested to see them.

Lefty said:
Remember this one?
Check out the ad, said to be from 1946. I wish the auction photo had been bigger.
stetson1946plasticfelt.jpg

Wil Tam

Practically Family
Indigo Blue!

I told myself to lay off eBay for a while because I get a little impulsive.... but I couldn't help myself since this deal was too good to pass up, I can't wait to get it! Buy It Now!
d1b3_1_sbl.JPG

HATCO said:
If anyone has any of these hats I would be very interested to see them.

The ad is somewhat decpetive in the sense that it is not a tweed felt at all but a felt that has stitching that goes in concentric circles all the way around the hat.
My son's is not one pice but several that have been stitched together but not at all like a modern tweed. His is exactly like Dinerman's picture except in the color of the ad. He loves it way too much. He wears it everywhere. :eusa_doh: :p :D

carter

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
The ad is somewhat decpetive in the sense that it is not a tweed felt at all but a felt that has stitching that goes in concentric circles all the way around the hat.
My son's is not one pice but several that have been stitched together but not at all like a modern tweed. His is exactly like Dinerman's picture except in the color of the ad. He loves it way too much. He wears it everywhere. :eusa_doh: :p :D
JP, Can we see some pictures of your son's hat? I'm curious regarding almost everything about a plastic hat. It sounds like a novelty item from the Howdy Doody Show. [huh]

MattJH

One Too Many
ARGH.

At this point, I am genuinely convinced that I will never, ever get my hands on a vintage 7 5/8 or 7 3/4 Borsalino.

Seriously.

Whenever I see one, I try, but no matter what my bid is, it never seems to be enough.

Seriously.

That must be the 15th vintage Borsalino in my size that I didn't get.

ARGH.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Could have been a GREAT hat pin!

I thought I was in the running on this great pin. Ended up not being close at all. Sold for $45.01.

WWII Era Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress Lapel Pin 10K Gold
3053.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
DJ, if you're not willing to go to at least $100, I think you're going to continue to have a hard time. At this point, I'm buying maybe one hat every 6 months, but when I do see "the one", I'm willing to go after it. We don't have the luxury of size 7 prices.

Dumbjaw said:
ARGH.
Whenever I see one, I try, but no matter what my bid is, it never seems to be enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats