Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

tortswon

Practically Family
What a trifecta!

Those are three great looking hats! You really lucked out getting that grey one as a throw in! I'm envious. Congratulations and wear them in good health! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Best, Sam

Ande1964

Practically Family
Dumbjaw said:
DRAT BLASTED NO GOOD RUE THE DAY FOILED AGAIN AND SO ON

WHATEVER.

Ha! I hate to say it, but Lefty's right (no pun intended). That hat was a bargain, and any good Borso in that size is gonna start at about a hundred bucks.

I paid $130 for my 7 1/2, and I think I got a steal.

Anj

barrowjh

One Too Many
Cobalt Borsalino w/felted edge, 2.5 in brim

I had some EXTREME luck the other day; an ebay 'Merry Christmas' to me:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=370128162616

The seller emailed me immediately -

Hi John,

Thank you so much for the fast purchase and payment. I was laughing so hard because I had no sooner clicked the submit button on the listing when you purchased it. You are like a hawk waiting for the mouse to appear from under the bale of hay! I'm still smiling. Thank you again. That's a first for me. I'll package it well and ship it tomorrow. Thanks again.

Deb

I don't really troll ebay continuously, but just happened to be checking when that one was posted, and with a buy-it-now of only $70, snatched it away (note the buy was within 6 minutes of the listing). The seller emailed me later that some other hat collector had really chewed her out for having such an outrageously low buy-it-now, so I know somebody here probably wants to wring my neck. The hat is stunning; it barely needed brushing, just absolutely perfect condition. The wind string has stretched out a bit, so I tucked the excess under the bow, but that is the only flaw. I could see from the pics in the listing that it was likely a felted edge although the seller said it was a 'stitched' edge; heck, it would have been a steal even if it was an overwelt, and now it is beyond a mere 'steal' - this is by far my best ebay buy ever.

The sweat is stitched directly to the felt except for the forehead, where it is reeded a bit there. This construction technique, combined with the lack of a plastic 'brylcream' barrier in the crown, leads me to think pre-1950's. Anyone with a more educated guess on the age?

This was also a strange twist of serendipity - I had just paid Art the down-deposit to have him make me a Midnight blue (like Torpedo's maybe) because 2 years of ebaying had not produced any blue hats (other than navy blue hombergs), and the very next day I scored this borsalino, which of course totally satiates my need for a blue fedora. I have never scored a black either, so Art and I will discuss that when I come around in the que.

carter

I'll Lock Up
barrowjh, That Borsalono is wonderful and the story of your purchase is even better. Congratulations!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

barrowjh

One Too Many
Rick Blaine's

Yes, that is a very nice looking Borsalino. I have over-collected in Brown shades and now have a Dobbs 20 with a 2 3/8ths guild edge, a Stetson Soveriegn with a 2.5 in mode edge, a Bond 5th Ave with 2.5 in felted edge, and at least a half-dozen other browns that I really ought to sell, as they do not get worn often. So, I limit myself to about $20 on browns, meaning that I only buy it if nobody else wants it, and even so, I really just need to quit buying browns altogether. One thing I do NOT have is a brown thin-ribbon, and you clearly landed a good one there; great score!

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
barrowjh said:
... I have over-collected in Brown shades and now have a Dobbs 20 with a 2 3/8ths guild edge, a Stetson Soveriegn with a 2.5 in mode edge, a Bond 5th Ave with 2.5 in felted edge, and at least a half-dozen other browns that I really ought to sell, as they do not get worn often....

...hmmm, Mr. Barrow if you have any larger 7 1/4s or any 7 3/8s or 7 1/2s lets talk trade... I have a number of 7 1/4s I have not yet gotten around to stretching. I am just over the hill from you in metro Knoxpatch...

barrowjh

One Too Many
7 1/4 is the largest I have, and have only a very few of those. I have better luck stretching a 7 than shrinking a 7 1/4, so I leave the 7 1/4 alone. Either of you thinking about attending the Monteagle / Winchester event that RBH and some others are planning for February 6-7th? I toured the Winchester plant about a year ago; fascinating.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
carter said:
THanks, JTL. I hope it looks good with the dimensions posted. If not, a brim trim may be in order.
Have you posted anything on that Australian OR yet?

You may want all of that brim available for shade next time you're on safari...:D

I'll try to post the Akubra OR photos later today...;)

Cheers,
JtL

carter

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
You may want all of that brim available for shade next time you're on safari...:D

I'll try to post the Akubra OR photos later today...;)

Cheers,
JtL
lol lol lol

The closest I'm likely to get to a safari is dove hunting.

I'm looking forward to those Akubra OR photos and your astute analysis. :)

:cheers1:
Carter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav