Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
It's not in perfect condition, but it's still a real prize for someone, and only $40.

806c_12.JPG

871d_12.JPG

886f_12.JPG

8b57_12.JPG

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
To me, that one's not just about a hat, it's about an artifact. And, while I've repeatedly stated that I'm a wearer, not a collector, this is high quality wearable history.

7x Clear Beaver is the best quality felt Stetson ever produced. It's the same stuff as the 5x CB, and the 100. In terms of felt, it just doesn't get any better (fancier, with ermine, yes - but not better). Stetson thought so too, as the hat was the "gold watch" for its retirees. Further, a 7xCB, 5xCB, or 100 with a mode (self-felted, Cavanagh) edge is nearly impossible to find. Dinerman has the only one I've ever seen.

The embossed presentation sweat more than doubles the value for me.

Stingy isn't my taste either, but if the hat had been a 7 1/2, I would, almost without question, be its new owner.

(Oh, and you can pull the feather - I would too. ;))

carter

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
To me, that one's not just about a hat, it's about an artifact. And, while I've repeatedly stated that I'm a wearer, not a collector, this is high quality wearable history.

7x Clear Beaver is the best quality felt Stetson ever produced. It's the same stuff as the 5x CB, and the 100. In terms of felt, it just doesn't get any better (fancier, with ermine, yes - but not better). Stetson thought so too, as the hat was the "gold watch" for its retirees. Further, a 7xCB, 5xCB, or 100 with a mode (self-felted, Cavanagh) edge is nearly impossible to find. Dinerman has the only one I've ever seen.

The embossed presentation sweat more than doubles the value for me.

Stingy isn't my taste either, but if the hat had been a 7 1/2, I would, almost without question, be its new owner.

(Oh, and you can pull the feather - I would too. ;))
I absolutely agree. I recommended this hat to someone else on the FL but do not believe they were the bidder. Had this been anywhere near 7 5/8, I'd have been in the hunt. Cavanagh edge, 7X, retiree from Stetson, and in the original box all make this a desirable hat.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
carter said:
Cavanagh edge, 7X, retiree from Stetson, and in the original box all make this a desirable hat.
To think it went for only $40 including shipping! I was watching that hat, but it was two sizes too small for me. It is a very attractive, high quality piece of history and I hope the new owner appreciates what he has.

(And at least in my mind it qualifies as a stingy.)

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I think the brim might have been trimmed. The sweatband says mode-edge, but look carefully and it looks like there's an overwelt. Hat looks like '50s to me, maybe updated later?

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
carter said:
I absolutely agree. I recommended this hat to someone else on the FL but do not believe they were the bidder. Had this been anywhere near 7 5/8, I'd have been in the hunt. Cavanagh edge, 7X, retiree from Stetson, and in the original box all make this a desirable hat.
I think it's a great hat. I was just going to post it here to see who won it. I was so tempted to bid on this one, but I'm acquiring a few from Alan and the funds are being saved for Italy right now. :eusa_doh:

Lefty, I agree with you 100% man. ;)

Slim Portly

One Too Many
D.W., I saw that but it's a tad bit too small for me. I hope it fits you well and you like the look of it on you. Post pics when it arrives!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
OK, I'l agree that as a collectible, that hat has value. My mistake. It's just that I still tend to dismiss anything with a short brim. I need to re-evaluate my evaluatin'!

And it's still pretty seriously eaten. To my eye, it looks badly proportioned, and Dinerman may be onto something with thinking it's been trimmed.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
scot.......

OK, I'l agree that as a collectible, that hat has value. My mistake. It's just that I still tend to dismiss anything with a short brim. I need to re-evaluate my evaluatin'!

Ok, I guess we can let it slide, you're entitled....even if you do despise our Stingy brims. :D

Slim Portly

One Too Many
carter said:
Slim, You won two terrific hats in very different styles. I hope we get to see pictures of both with the creases as pictured. That Resistol is sweet and it has a Cattleman crease which I'm looking forward to seeing on you. I have no doubt that you can pull them both off very well.
Oh no! It came in the mail and I spent the day rebashing it into a front pinch porkpie! I didn't think to take a picture of me wearing it first because I didn't plan on keeping the cowboy bash. :(

carter

I'll Lock Up
I won this safari fedora by Hunting World yesterday. No ribbon and the seller attested that it is fur felt. What kind of fur? [huh]

"here we have a Hunting World mens hat. vintage size 7.5 made in south africa fur felt. side air holes and no band. 3.25in. brim, 4.5in. crown."
4ade_1.JPG
5749_1.JPG
6393_1.JPG
6f48_1.JPG

I'm interested to see what this hat is made of and what I can do with it. It'll be interesting to see how it looks with a puggaree.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320323935055&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=011

Feraud

Bartender
Does it look like the price of vintage fedoras on Ebay have dropped over the last few months? I am wondering if the economy has hit this segment of the market.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
So glad you got it

I had my eye on it too. My niece's husband, who I've only met once at their wedding, has a "melon head" according to my niece. I decided to get him a big hat of that general style, and was attracted to that one. But I was unsure about that ribbonless look. I was wondering if that was how was made originally, or if it lost the ribbon. Didn't want to give a hat novice a hat that needed help.
So instead I bid on, and won, this Akubra Pilbara. He's a big guy, 6 ft 3. He should be able to carry off the look with aplomb. I just hope 7 3/4 isn't TOO big.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=260331934288

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats