Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I was watching the Churchill, although it wasn't my size. One of the nicest eBay hats I've seen for a while.

If it is like the Churchill 100 that Alan posted a while back, I'd say the buyer is getting good value for the investment.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Here is the most unusual vintage Stetson panama hat I’ve ever come across. It has the elements of a fedora, an optimo, and a porkie. I like the black faille ribbon with its one horizontal white pinstripe. It’s lined all around with netting (a detail more common to straw boaters); the lining inside the crown’s top is silk, and the Stetson logo is embroidered on it in silk thread.

From the 1930s? Earlier? Maybe Loungers can place a date on this lid. (There's no paper Stetson size label.) I’ve never heard of the Philadelphia hat store that sold it. Labeled size is 7 1/8, but the hat fits like a snug 7 1/4.

Ended auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/190621173178

Pan4.jpg

IMG_4568.jpg

IMG_4585.jpg

Pan3.jpg

IMG_4597.jpg

IMG_4564.jpg

IMG_4563.jpg

Pan2.jpg

IMG_4561.jpg

IMG_4562.jpg

I was watching the Churchill, although it wasn't my size. One of the nicest eBay hats I've seen for a while.

If it is like the Churchill 100 that Alan posted a while back, I'd say the buyer is getting good value for the investment.

It's the same hat, with subtle differences... bound brim where mine is raw. I think the winner will like it.

That would be my 22" head nodding in the direction of the Nutria. It's a puzzler as to what is original in this hat. Asepto sweatband was trademarked in 1938... a replacement? Ribbon might be a replacement too? Liner appears old and is a match for my black furry Nutria. We shall see...

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
In this case, I know that I won this hat by exactly $.52. That is to say, 52 cents. I was pleased as punch to win, just thought it interesting to be on the right end of the auction outcome and know by exactly how much this time.

I've been surprised at how often I'll win an auction and have the winning bid be either right at or less than a dollar under my maximum bid. For instance, I recently won a Stetson 3X Open Road for $.50 less than my maximum bid. I don't know if it's just blind luck or if I've gotten good at estimating what a particular hat will go for. Somehow, I doubt it's the latter since there's really no telling what's going to happen on eBay!

For example, I was a bit surprised by how much that Churchill 100 went for. I thought it would do fairly well, but not that much. I'd had a sniper set up on it but cancelled it before it fired as I didn't think my wife would react well to a second hat coming in while she's unemployed. My snipe wouldn't have won it, anyway.

Cheers,
Tom

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Here is the most unusual vintage Stetson panama hat I’ve ever come across. It has the elements of a fedora, an optimo, and a porkie. I like the black faille ribbon with its one horizontal white pinstripe. It’s lined all around with netting (a detail more common to straw boaters); the lining inside the crown’s top is silk, and the Stetson logo is embroidered on it in silk thread.

From the 1930s? Earlier? Maybe Loungers can place a date on this lid. (There's no paper Stetson size label.) I’ve never heard of the Philadelphia hat store that sold it. Labeled size is 7 1/8, but the hat fits like a snug 7 1/4.

Ended auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/190621173178

Pan4.jpg

IMG_4568.jpg

IMG_4585.jpg

Pan3.jpg

IMG_4597.jpg

IMG_4564.jpg

IMG_4563.jpg

Pan2.jpg

IMG_4561.jpg

IMG_4562.jpg

Crikey nice buy Marc what would the WPSI be?

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
I picked this Royal Stetson up for the minimum bid. Looks a lot like a Playboy but I haven't seen a Playboy with that liner. Either way I'm excited to get it.
I am a little worried about the size. It clearly says 7 3/8 but I didn't ask for measurements and I've had some people lately that measure the length of the opening and say that is the size of the hat. The opening looks a little small for the brim width of 2 1/2 inches. Could be an illusion.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou