Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Old Mallory

!B0r4)0wBGk~$(KGrHqR,!iIE)qvw8QW3BMb(UiWynQ~~_12.JPG
xtras
4918726289_abcb737499.jpg
4919340484_e4e8096395.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...sPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123#ht_500wt_1154
Very high crown. Homburg? I'll guess late 20's-early 30's.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Learned in the past couple of days that I am a 7 3/8 Long Oval, like JTL. How much harder is this going to make finding vintage ebay hats for me?

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Neophyte said:
Learned in the past couple of days that I am a 7 3/8 Long Oval, like JTL. How much harder is this going to make finding vintage ebay hats for me?

gtdean48 said:
Look at JtL's collection. The question isn't harder but more expensive..... [huh]

Long ovals in every size are less common so you will generally be bidding against fewer, but more serious, competitors. A really great deal is rare.

But, you may be able to turn a regular oval into a long oval. If you put a 7 3/8 hat on your head and press in on the sides does it fit? If so, you need a hat stretcher (the ones that just stretch the sweatband area will usually work fine) and some distilled water. Wet the brim, put the stretcher in and crank it to the proper dimension and let dry. This will basically give you a bit more dip on the brim and give you the long oval shape.

The other option is to get a hat one size larger and pad the sides in a bit.

Remember, a Long Oval has the same circumference as the same size Regular Oval - it is just a different shape. Longer and narrower. So a regular oval one size up may be the same length as the smaller long oval.

Neophyte

BanjoMerlin said:
Long ovals in every size are less common so you will generally be bidding against fewer, but more serious, competitors. A really great deal is rare.

But, you may be able to turn a regular oval into a long oval. If you put a 7 3/8 hat on your head and press in on the sides does it fit? If so, you need a hat stretcher (the ones that just stretch the sweatband area will usually work fine) and some distilled water. Wet the brim, put the stretcher in and crank it to the proper dimension and let dry. This will basically give you a bit more dip on the brim and give you the long oval shape.

The other option is to get a hat one size larger and pad the sides in a bit.

Remember, a Long Oval has the same circumference as the same size Regular Oval - it is just a different shape. Longer and narrower. So a regular oval one size up may be the same length as the smaller long oval.

Thanks for the advice. When wearing my Campdraft, the most oval hat I own, I still feel pressure on my forehead and there are gaps on the sides. This Campdraft actually runs 59.3, and is stated a 59. The Campdraft block is really big, so I don't know how much better a size 60 would fit (gaps on sides would be really big).

At any rate, thanks for the advice. If I ever do win an auction, I will be referring back to your post. Thanks again!

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Neophyte said:
When wearing my Campdraft, the most oval hat I own, I still feel pressure on my forehead and there are gaps on the sides.

That one is probably a candidate for stretching to a longer oval. Put it on your head and press the sides in (press on the ribbon) to touch your head. The pressure on the forehead should go away. The front and back of the brim will probably dip a bit more, this is the effect you get when you stretch a regular to long oval.

Once you get the hang of it stretching regular ovals to long ovals is no big deal. Certainly much easier than trying to convert a long oval to regular oval. BUT, it doesn't go as well with bowlers, homburgs, pork pies and a few other styles.

Neophyte said:
... When wearing my Campdraft, the most oval hat I own, I still feel pressure on my forehead and there are gaps on the sides...
I have a 7 5/8 LO, & even have a 7 1/2 XLO that fits about the same. Hat stretchers are a constantly used tool for my noggin shape. Life gives you lemmons....

RLK, Great open crown Mallory Homburg! Looks pristine. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I have some hats that I keep a slight stretch on all the time. You can get cheap hat stretchers at Harbor Freight. I have retail location in my town so don't have to order online.

http://www.harborfreight.com/adjustable-hat-stretcher-42210.html

Also like having some smaller hats (one size down) that I wear higher on my head for a different look.

Neophyte

BanjoMerlin said:
That one is probably a candidate for stretching to a longer oval. Put it on your head and press the sides in (press on the ribbon) to touch your head. The pressure on the forehead should go away. The front and back of the brim will probably dip a bit more, this is the effect you get when you stretch a regular to long oval.

I noticed the effect you mentioned about the alleviating pressure, but here's something more curious: All that pressure I was talking about, it only really shows up when I have the brim flipped up or in hollywood configuration. Flipping it back down to the traditional style seems to have alleviated the pressure. Good that it's gone, but that kinda limiting...

:eek: I apologize to the rest of you loungers, I seem to have accidentally taken this thread just a bit :eek:fftopic: .

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Neophyte said:
I noticed the effect you mentioned about the alleviating pressure, but here's something more curious: All that pressure I was talking about, it only really shows up when I have the brim flipped up or in hollywood configuration. Flipping it back down to the traditional style seems to have alleviated the pressure.

Not at all curious. The way the brim is positioned can certainly change the fit. So too the way the crown is creased, that can really change things as well. I don't crease all my hats the same. I always take fit into account when deciding how I want to snap or crease any given hat. ;)

Neophyte

zetwal said:
Not at all curious. The way the brim is positioned can certainly change the fit. So too the way the crown is creased, that can really change things as well. I don't crease all my hats the same. I always take fit into account when deciding how I want to snap or crease any given hat. ;)

Alright, thanks very much. I'll be keeping this in mind. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo