Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
SteveAS said:
I really wanted that one, but its price was beyond my personal limit (not that it wasn't worth what it sold for).

I was very disappointed in this one. It is worth far more than what it sold for. 'Tis a buyers market right now for sure!

The buyer got a very, very good deal and should really appreciate the hat! :)

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
Indeed Lefty and thank you.

Had I been the winner of either hat I would have done the happy dance. They are good deals and I am glad that folks are getting hats they like. As a seller though, when a beloved hat goes for much less than what you paid for it or what it is worth it is like a blow to the gut.

I am backed in a corner though after losing my hat storage ability so for better or worse the sales will continue. :)

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I just received a stingy brim fedora from eBay today. I bought it because I felt it bears a striking resemblance to the black fedora Roger Sterling wears in Mad Men. Low and behold when I opened it up not only was the hat a perfect fit... but it had the word Sterling Lindner stamped on the sweatband... I found that quite humorous. I will post pictures tomorrow, or rather later today. It's so late it's early.

donnc

One of the Regulars
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180545929447

$52.51, for what looks to me like a slightly ragged dark grey Dobbs with a low crown, small brim, liner is gone ... I'm no expert, but would have guessed half the price at best. Even if it's someone dying to get on the Mad Men bandwagon, wouldn't new hat buyers be (even more) put off by the hat's crumpled condition? Is it a better hat than I thought?

Maybe it's just the picture, but while I wouldn't mind paying $20 or so for a hat like that, I didn't bid, mainly because the ribbon looked so scruffy.

blixa00

One of the Regulars
I recently won this hat on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300454128139&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_928 but the seller mixed up the item with another hat that wasn't so nice and sent it to the wrong person...I was sent a pretty rough looking Knox 20 with no liner and lots of moth nips instead! The person who got the hat that I won and paid for goes by the ID of "rilico" on Ebay and it looks like this person primarily buys and sells hats. Do any fellow loungers know this person "rilico"? I am interested in getting the hat that I paid for in exchange for the hat he paid for and unfortunately the seller will not be of any assistance! Is this "rilico" a straight shooter and decent seller or not...he has OK feedback but isn't responding to e-mails about the switch up. Thanks for any input!! :)

W4ASZ

Practically Family
blixa00 said:
I recently won this hat on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300454128139&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_928 but the seller mixed up the item with another hat that wasn't so nice and sent it to the wrong person...I was sent a pretty rough looking Knox 20 with no liner and lots of moth nips instead! The person who got the hat that I won and paid for goes by the ID of "rilico" on Ebay and it looks like this person primarily buys and sells hats. Do any fellow loungers know this person "rilico"? I am interested in getting the hat that I paid for in exchange for the hat he paid for and unfortunately the seller will not be of any assistance! Is this "rilico" a straight shooter and decent seller or not...he has OK feedback but isn't responding to e-mails about the switch up. Thanks for any input!! :)

I believe you should prepare to use the eBay grievance procedure against both the seller and the other purchaser.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
blixa00 said:
unfortunately the seller will not be of any assistance! Is this "rilico" a straight shooter and decent seller or not...he has OK feedback but isn't responding to e-mails about the switch up. Thanks for any input!! :)

Your problem is with the SELLER not rilico! The seller failed to ship to you the item you purchased. What actually happened to that item is the SELLER's problem. The seller refuses to be of assistance? That is just pure BS.

File a complaint with ebay now! If you have any communication from the seller acknowledging that you were shipped the wrong item send that to ebay as well. At the very least you should DEMAND a full refund of all moneys paid (including shipping) and if the seller wants that wrong hat back the SELLER must pay for that shipping as well.

If the SELLER wants to fix the issue it is up to HIM/HER to get the hat back from rilico and send you the correct hat.

Don't let the SELLER off the hook! File that complaint now!

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Marc Chevalier said:

Fedora Lounges really dropped the ball by not bidding on this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Donavan...54073352?pt=Vintage_Men_s_Women_s_Accessories

From the 1930s. It's missing a bit of felt at the top of the crown, but who sees the top? (Except when the hat is off.)

Or, maybe not so much. Wouldn't have actually received it anyway, it went to blixa00!

blixa00 said:

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BanjoMerlin said:
Your problem is with the SELLER not rilico! The seller failed to ship to you the item you purchased. What actually happened to that item is the SELLER's problem. The seller refuses to be of assistance? That is just pure BS.

File a complaint with ebay now! If you have any communication from the seller acknowledging that you were shipped the wrong item send that to ebay as well. At the very least you should DEMAND a full refund of all moneys paid (including shipping) and if the seller wants that wrong hat back the SELLER must pay for that shipping as well.

If the SELLER wants to fix the issue it is up to HIM/HER to get the hat back from rilico and send you the correct hat.

Don't let the SELLER off the hook! File that complaint now!

Well said.
Never done any biz w/ rillico, but he sure has some nice hats & slick auctions. Mostly smaller sizes tho'.

This is clearly the sellers goof, he may well be as p.o.'d as you are.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hats of Ireland Wide Brim Vented Wax Hat Green Large Fedora-like

Got this idiosyncratic little number

IISHHAT.jpg

early this am for very little. See if it'll work down here. Maybe more of an Autumn than Summer lid, looks easily reshapable....HMmmmm. The whole thing 15 clams delivered from the ould sod.It'll make a good fishing hat if nothing else.

blixa00

One of the Regulars
Yes ladies and gentlemen that is the "other hat" in this story and it appears that some are quite taken with it as well! I am happy to report that "rilico" and I will be sorting this out shortly amongst ourselves as the seller washed his/her hands of all responsibility by refunding our $$! So win/win here as far as I'm concerned and I must say it is nice to deal with pleasant and courteous folks whenever possible!! Thanks to you all for your input and support as well!!:eusa_clap
For those that like the "other hat" it may soon be for sale on Ebay..."rilico" does seem to move quite a few of them!!! Cheers!!

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
blixa00 said:
Is this "rilico" a straight shooter...

The comments about taking the matter up with the actual SELLER are correct.

However, to answer your above question; I believe he is. I have bought probably six or more hats from him in the last few years. All positive experiences. I've also had enjoyable email correspondence with him outside of Ebay just because we share certain interests and an odd sense of humor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner