Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

DarkAudit

New in Town
Rat Pack said:
[RANT] Why don't ALL seller's put the size in the caption of the eBay ad so I don't have to open it? [END RANT] :eek:fftopic:

And now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.....

ScruffySecond.jpg

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Even worse is the colors...

Sometimes the sellers assume that the photo is good enough for the color. As I griped about before, almost NEVER have I gotten a hat from an ebay bid where the color on the photo came anywhere near what the hat actually was.

I've taken to writing them: it is blue-gray? Is it brown-gray? Is it a whitish-gray? Or is it dark brown, or lighter? Is it tan, or beige?

It is a total crap shoot.

I got a nice Stetson a few weeks ago listed as gray, but looked dark green in the pics. Silly me, I thought, oh well, pictures are inacurrate, should have asked the seller. Sure enough, it was a dark green when I recieved it. Nice hat nonetheless, posted it in the fly fishing hat thread.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Ebay needs to...

Ebay needs to ban the word "rare" from its site. EVERYONE that claims that word in their auction are usually LIARS!

Even old stuff isn't necessarily "rare." I collect original photos from the 1840s and later, for instance. I saw a guy selling a photo of President Andrew Johnson and he called it a "rare" original photo. All you have to do is type a search for Johnson photos and you can usually find no less than 10 of them up on ebay at ANY given time. Rare my ass. Johnson photos, even ones from 1865, are a dime a dozen.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Lefty, would the felt quality on that Barclay have been the same as MacLachlan's regular hats? Or was it more for an economy market/contracting?

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Rat Pack said:
[RANT] Why don't ALL seller's put the size in the caption of the eBay ad so I don't have to open it? [END RANT] :eek:fftopic:

And now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.....

Be careful what you ask for - I've had more than one seller figure the size is "7 1/4" because that's the lengthwise measurement inside the crown.

Michaelshane

One Too Many
Mobile Vulgus said:
Sometimes the sellers assume that the photo is good enough for the color. As I griped about before, almost NEVER have I gotten a hat from an ebay bid where the color on the photo came anywhere near what the hat actually was.

I've taken to writing them: it is blue-gray? Is it brown-gray? Is it a whitish-gray? Or is it dark brown, or lighter? Is it tan, or beige?

It is a total crap shoot.

I won a C&K that was described as gray.It was until I brushed off the dust.It was blue....Boy was I happy.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
fluteplayer07 said:
Lefty, would the felt quality on that Barclay have been the same as MacLachlan's regular hats? Or was it more for an economy market/contracting?

Sorry, but I don't know. I've handled only one Barclay. It seemed nice, but not exceptional.

hopin' that way...

Michaelshane said:
I won a C&K that was described as gray.It was until I brushed off the dust.It was blue....Boy was I happy.

I have a "Empire state hat" that was advertised as grey, it looks kinda grey, but it's filthy. I'm picking up some naptha on my way home tomorrow, after a good soak, i think it might have a blue hue, there are two spots on it where the felt was "roughed up" by the previous owner and it looks like it might be blue under there...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy