Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Some time ago, somebody here mentioned a winning bidder who was actually an intermediary between buyers in Asia, if I remember correctly. I can't find the post, but perhaps some of you might remember this? Perhaps if the buyer is actually a service buying items on behalf of others, this might explain having feedback of almost 60,000. Just a theory.

That was me. This is the buyer, with over 36,000 feedback points, and that name is one of 7 or 8 used by the company.

SteveAS

Practically Family
I myself have sold more than one item to a particular buyer with just under 60,000 transactions. The buyer in question always sends auto generated messages asking me to put the item number on the outside of the box along with attention so and so.

I just sold a hat to that guy, I think . . . user id something like flight2sfo . . .

buler

I'll Lock Up
That makes three now this month with that print on varied stoneware...perhaps they are being reproduced.

Some quick googling turns up more of these. There is a mug on ebay for under $8 and the same mug on another site for $60. All of these appear to be made pretty recently.

B

Looking at some of his negatives he seems easy to anger, too.

Don't make me angry, you won't like me when I'm angry!

images

T Rick

Practically Family
Wow, this was a close one! Was watching this one live. As typical, I opened it in two windows to be able to watch it once I'd placed my bid (I'll enter my bid but not hit the final button to finalize the bid until the last seconds).

At one minute, I watched as the bids went from $26 to $36. Okay, I'm not going to steal it. Already had my bid amount typed in to the bid box. At 30 seconds, I clicked the first bid button and went to the other screen to watch. At about 7 seconds, I went back to the other window, counting the seconds down. I guess I miscounted, because I thought I submitted it with about 3 seconds to go, but according to the bid history it went in with only one second to go. Imagine my surprise when the dust settled. My max bid was $89.01. Two seconds before me, someone placed a bid of $89.00. So I am the high bidder, winning it at my max, one penny over the next bidder!

Hope the hat is as nice as it looks. Not having a liner I think hurt the value, and I was unsure about that. But I've been interested in seeing what a good felt hat would be like without a liner, now I get a chance without having to remove one.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Am I blue? Am I blue? Ain't these tears in my eyes, tellin' you? Am I blue?

That was a close one. I've unintentionally entered snipes way closer than I've wanted to (one second, once, as well), due to cpu errors. But never one penny away. That was some good luck on your part.

Those pictures are terrible! But I bet it'll look great in person; a rich shade of medium to royal blue is something I've wanted for a while... ;) :D

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Not all whippets state it on the liner. Some have it on the sweat.

Maybe, but I'd ask the seller for a photograph of the Whippet logo before bidding on it if I wanted to be sure I was getting a Whippet. In this case it certainly has Whippet-like features and it is a nice hat, but would want it clarified before bidding (and preferably on the auction) to try to avoid the "Whippet" price is it isn't one.

Cheers,
Tom

Wow, this was a close one! Was watching this one live. As typical, I opened it in two windows to be able to watch it once I'd placed my bid (I'll enter my bid but not hit the final button to finalize the bid until the last seconds).

At one minute, I watched as the bids went from $26 to $36. Okay, I'm not going to steal it. Already had my bid amount typed in to the bid box. At 30 seconds, I clicked the first bid button and went to the other screen to watch. At about 7 seconds, I went back to the other window, counting the seconds down. I guess I miscounted, because I thought I submitted it with about 3 seconds to go, but according to the bid history it went in with only one second to go. Imagine my surprise when the dust settled. My max bid was $89.01. Two seconds before me, someone placed a bid of $89.00. So I am the high bidder, winning it at my max, one penny over the next bidder!

Hope the hat is as nice as it looks. Not having a liner I think hurt the value, and I was unsure about that. But I've been interested in seeing what a good felt hat would be like without a liner, now I get a chance without having to remove one.

Older Stetsons were produced without linings... it would have been nice to have a better view of the sweatband markings. This looks like it might be a nice hat and I think you got it at a good price. I don't think the flash photography did the seller or the hat much good. Look forward to seeing better pictures when you receive it.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Maybe, but I'd ask the seller for a photograph of the Whippet logo before bidding on it if I wanted to be sure I was getting a Whippet. In this case it certainly has Whippet-like features and it is a nice hat, but would want it clarified before bidding (and preferably on the auction) to try to avoid the "Whippet" price is it isn't one.
I sent the seller a question asking what makes him think it is a Whippet. We'll see what he says.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Congratulations! It looks good. I swear, I keep on seeing E Bay buys on TFL on hats I might have been interested in, but which didn't show up when I searched E bay. I typically write in "vintage fedora Stetson" or something like that, and I never saw that one. I also write in "stetson fedora 7 1/8" and other variations. Not that I could have bid on the hat at the moment, but I would like to have seen it. I must be doing something wrong.

Last edited:

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up

That could wind up being quite a nice snag. It will be interesting to see what the actual color is.

Cheers,
JtL

T Rick

Practically Family
I was thinking the same, figured it had probably been removed. When a Seller states "it never had one" as he did here, I take that with several grains of salt. Don't see how he could know that.

Also hoping it's as nice as I suspect it will be, and couldn't agree more that his pics didn't help him. I knew there was a risk due to the poor pics, that's why I felt there was a decent chance it was a bargain. If I'm right, good pics could easily have pushed it over $100.

fmw

One Too Many
but I would like to have seen it. I must be doing something wrong.

If you keep the search terms broader you will see a broader selection of results. My recommendation would be to put just Stetson in the search field. Then you can click on -> men's accessories and then -> hats. That will show all the men's hats that have Stetson in the title. If you want only hats with fedora in the title, you can choose that option with a mouse click. You can then click on 7 1/8 to cull the results down to Stetson brand men's fedoras in your size. By using a narrower string in the search field you cut out all the hats that didn't say "stetson fedora 7 1/8" in the title. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

hottoddy

New in Town
eB ay Dobbs

Hello! I lurked here a bit prior to registering, and I have to say this is my new favorite forum. My interest in hats is relatively new. I have my grandpa's 1950ish Stetson fedora with a stingy brim, but it's 1/4 inch too small and a local hatter says it's beyond normal stretching (without splitting stuff). So, I think I'll keep it just the way it is - plus my daughter enjoys wearing it.

I have been trying to find something similar and tried on a few Dobbs and Stetsons at my local hat shop (John Helmer in Portland). I ended up doing a fair amount of reading here and recently picked this up on eBay for $63 plus shipping:

Mens Dobbs Twenty 5th Ave Fedora Hat w/Box-7 1/4 - Gray

I have no idea if it's a good deal or not, how old it might be, or if I even will look decent in a stingy brim. But, I got my feet wet and I can't wait for it to arrive!

-Todd

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails