Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I hate quoting myself, but for those who are curious: the hat arrived, and as expected, it's not the one in the picture - it's the typical lightweight, paper-like-felt Allesandro. A nice hat, but not as lush of a felt as the one advertised.

And interestingly, the other hat that shared the same photo finally sold, at about half the $$ the seller was originally looking for.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
I was curious and appreciate the follow-up. Do you plan to pursue it at all with the seller?

No, he offered $25 back before he even shipped it. The additional moth nibbles were minor and the hat brushed up very nicely - plus it fits perfectly and looks good. It's a nice summer felt.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
In the 50s the back bow came back in style for a short time. By the 60s the back bow was out again. They didn't start using clear plastic on the crown of the liner until the 50s.

Edit to add: Also, on the letter head, that phone number prefix of "Woodward 5-0045" is a typical late 50s early 60s style of phone number. By the late 60s the "Woodward" part would be replace by an area code and three numbers instead of a word prefix and one number.

You are a very good detective on this, and I was looking at the same thing, the phone numbers. Imagine a phone number with only 4 numbers in it?

Omne

Familiar Face
You are a very good detective on this, and I was looking at the same thing, the phone numbers. Imagine a phone number with only 4 numbers in it?

Well, actually it would have been 7 numbers. WOodward would be 96 so Woodward 5-0045 would be 965-0045. Since it's Detroit the area code back then would have been 313.

So Mr. Fogarty's number was 313-965-0045

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Dobbs Hanover Square, 7 1/4
P1070985.JPG

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Well, actually it would have been 7 numbers. WOodward would be 96 so Woodward 5-0045 would be 965-0045. Since it's Detroit the area code back then would have been 313.

So Mr. Fogarty's number was 313-965-0045

Yes...but a four number phone number would make the hat OLD!

Omne

Familiar Face
I just got my Stetson 100. Unbelievable felt quality. Perfect condition. Even the case looks much better than I expected from the description, and the locks and keys work. I just need to glue one corner back in the inside front of the case, no problem.

The eBay ad said it was a 7 3/8. I tried it on and it fit perfectly even though I'm a long oval. I looked inside and sure enough the tag said Long Oval 7 3/8. :whoo:

Even with the relatively high cost, the fact it's a long oval, along with the 2 3/8 brim, make it worth every penny.

So now I work on the bash. I'm thinking C Crown. I want to get the total crown height down some, this is bit higher than I'm used to. Suggestions for the best type to do that would be welcome.

Stetson100001.jpg

Stetson100005.jpg

Stetson100003-1.jpg

Stetson100002.jpg

Stetson100004.jpg

Stetson100007.jpg

Stetson100006.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24