Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I've had a little run of HCA hats of late. I recently got good deals on a Dobbs 20 and a Knox 20 and now a nice Cavanagh that I won at this auction.

Thanks to the seller making a photo of the box the main image and really not showing good shots of the hat, I won the auction with my bid of $46.00

The hat seems to have never been worn and is a nice olive/brownish colour, not the light brown she had described - I'm very pleased about that!

I'd say the hat is a 40's model, based on the liner logo - the John Cavanagh LTD, not Cavanagh Hats.

Great dimensions - 2 1/2 inch brim and the open crown is about 5 3/4. Here's a quick iPhone pic, I take some proper ones when I get a chance and post in the Cavanagh Club thread.

cav-L.jpg

This seller was also selling 2 grey Cavanaghs at the same time - did anyone here get one of those? All 3 came from the same estate.

KC Capellor

One of the Regulars
Just received this Resistol 20X (1970 - 80's?), arrived with heavily soiled crown with cattleman's crease, otherwise felt perfect, nice light natural color with lots of tiny dark flecks. Quick soak under the shower head a la Roy R. - no garden hose this time, Randooch - light scrubbing and good brushing cleaned up nicely. Open crown is 6 1/2", brim 3 1/2", time to try a teardrop on this cowboy hat while it dries...
Before:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/593/dscn9538small.jpg/ After:

Last edited:

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here are the shots of the Joicy of Baltimore hat I won. The hat's in near-perfect condition, with one small stain on the underside of the brim binding. I was pleasantly surprised by the lightweight felt, the floppiness of the brim, and the tight binding and ribbon. Another pleasant surprise comes from the liner, which seems to indicate that this was a custom hat.

It's a nice color, just on the light side of mid-grey, with binding and ribbon in a lighter shade of grey. I very much like it, and the way the brim distorts on my head is great.

Joicy.jpg

Joicy2.jpg

Joicy3.jpg

Joicy4.jpg

Joicy5.jpg

Joicy6.jpg

JoicyX2-1-1.jpg

Last edited:

Neophyte

Thanks everyone! I'm very excited. It's hard for me to compete on Ebay for the choice hats in my size, so to get such a piece for only $50 makes it all the more special for me :D.

Last edited:

Walt

One of the Regulars
Here are the shots of the Joicy of Baltimore hat I won. The hat's in near-perfect condition, with one small stain on the underside of the brim binding. I was pleasantly surprised by the lightweight felt, the floppiness of the brim, and the tight binding and ribbon. Another pleasant surprise comes from the liner, which seems to indicate that this was a custom hat.

It's a nice color, just on the light side of mid-grey, with binding and ribbon in a lighter shade of grey. I very much like it, and the way the brim distorts on my head is great.

Congrats on that hat. :eusa_clap Nice hat and I'm happy you were able to score a nice hat for a good price and I know that you've been trying to do that for a while. Some of us fellow 3/8 guys were watching that one. If the seller had posted as good quality picts as you posted here I would have bid on it and I'm sure others would have and the price would've gone higher. Ya just never know when to take the chance and when not to, but sometimes it does pay off! ;)

The out of focus and grainy pictures made it look like it had staining, etc. He did say it looked like new so....dealt with sellers that make that claim and then find out it isn't true. Still amazes my that some people only post one picture or any pictures out of focus or underexposed. And using lousy cell phone cameras! :eeek: Some people! :eek:

Enjoy that nice catch! :D

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab

Joicy3.jpg

Nice one! So how is Joicy pronounced? As in Jersey of Edward Brophy's pronounciation of New Jersey? :D

Last edited:

Neophyte

Walt, thanks!

I know what you mean. I had put in a bid before looking more closely at the pics. When I did, I panicked. The first pic makes it look like there are multiple yellow stain spots just above the bow, and the second pic made the liner look aged, yellowed, and stained. I contacted the seller and he explained it was due to his bad camera. I was skeptical, but my bid was already in and I decided that if the hat was indeed in bad condition I'd have a pretty solid case for redressing. Pleasantly, it appears to be in near-perfect condition as the seller described.

Rabbit, I believe it's pronounced "Joy-Cee."

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo