Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Ormazd

One of the Regulars
I haven't seen many homburg style Panamas, and won this one on eBay. In great shape except for one small straw break on the front of the crown.

Mallory 1.JPG Mallory 2.JPG Mallory 3.JPG Mallory 4.JPG Mallory 5.JPG Mallory 6.JPG

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Very nice, HB3! I look forward to a noggin shot!

That one is 50s, due to the plastic liner protector, reeded sweat, sweatband embossing, etc.

Easy ways for Pre-40s hats are taped sweat seams, deep embossing, no plastic protector, etc.

Look at this thread:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?61698-Vintage-Fedoras-by-Decade

Remember, these GENERALITIES apply best to Stetsons and major USA--hardly at all to European makers so are nothing close to a rule. Early Borsalinos can have Plastic(Cellophane) and reeded sweats, modern ones- the opposite- for one example.

Taped seams and reeded sweats are particularly unreliable as both coexisted for over 100 years and still do.

I recently won this pre 1940 J. Hückel´s Söhne promotional pocket mirror. I already have one like it but it's in poor condition. This one appears to be in very good condition but I will have to see what the mirror side looks like when it arrives.

9468093064_54af6532eb.jpg

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Remember, these GENERALITIES apply best to Stetsons and major USA--hardly at all to European makers so are nothing close to a rule. Early Borsalinos can have Plastic(Cellophane) and reeded sweats, modern ones- the opposite- for one example.

Taped seams and reeded sweats are particularly unreliable as both coexisted for over 100 years and still do.

Thank you for the clarification, Robert! I just use that as a quick scan for hats I enjoy. If I see a plastic cover, I usually skip over it (guess I should look more closely). I have a few earlier lids with reeded sweats (stetsons), so I know what you mean! Any ideas at how to tell the difference with the early Borsalino covers vs the 50's types from photos?

Steve, I do look forward to more photos! Great find, sir!

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
Do you guys think that this hat should also go in the pre-1940's Stetsons thread? It apparently still has the receipt showing it sold in November of 1940.

Either way i'm pretty excited I won this one. I was worried that the bidding might begin to skyrocket when the auction time reached around 24 hours, so I made an offer and the seller changed it to a buy it now and accepted.

KingOfTheRoaring20's

New in Town
My most recent eBay victory, scored it yesterday :) I know I've posted this elsewhere, but just thought I'd show it off and get some more feedback/background on it. I believe it's a Pre-30's Cawnpore Sun-Hat/Pith Helmet. Made in HONGKONG. So far, very little has turned up online about civilian Cawnpore hats in the Tropics, or this maker in general.

Do you guys think that this hat should also go in the pre-1940's Stetsons thread? It apparently still has the receipt showing it sold in November of 1940.

Either way i'm pretty excited I won this one. I was worried that the bidding might begin to skyrocket when the auction time reached around 24 hours, so I made an offer and the seller changed it to a buy it now and accepted.

In that size, there wouldn't have been many bidders, but you would have had to bid high to win it. It's an early Royal longhair finish, appearing to retain desirable qualities of pre-war manufacture.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
After letting it sit for nearly a week, I've taken a gamble on terrible photos and bought the (older?) Optimo panama - maybe. The shipping calculator isn't set up properly, so there's no shipping amount, so ebay/paypal won't let me complete the purchase without an updated invoice from the seller. I've agreed to purchase, but am prohibited from making payment. It seems un-American.

The buyer has zero feedback, so we'll see if this comes to anything.

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
In that size, there wouldn't have been many bidders, but you would have had to bid high to win it. It's an early Royal longhair finish, appearing to retain desirable qualities of pre-war manufacture.

Yea I think I panicked a bit when the last couple hats I was watching had their bidding jump significantly in the final couple minutes. I just kept thinking to myself that theres know way a hat this awesome isn't going to have some fierce bidding.

After letting it sit for nearly a week, I've taken a gamble on terrible photos and bought the (older?) Optimo panama - maybe. The shipping calculator isn't set up properly, so there's no shipping amount, so ebay/paypal won't let me complete the purchase without an updated invoice from the seller. I've agreed to purchase, but am prohibited from making payment. It seems un-American.

The buyer has zero feedback, so we'll see if this comes to anything.

It may be a new seller set-up situation. I ran into this the other day with a newbie seller who needed to provide additional information to eBay before the Paypal payment could be completed. Hope things work out and the hat delivers what you hope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner