Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don’t think a new commission would be cheaper. His prices are up there these days. This hat has been for sale for quite a while though and no takers.
I just don't understand the higher prices. I don't think the work is any better than Miller Miller (Northwest Hats) nor Mike Gannon (Gannon Hats). I understand FESPA hoods cost more but not that much more. I can commission 2 or 3 custom hats from either of these guys for that price. But to each his own as the saying goes.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I just don't understand the higher prices. I don't think the work is any better than Miller Miller (Northwest Hats) nor Mike Gannon (Gannon Hats). I understand FESPA hoods cost more but not that much more. I can commission 2 or 3 custom hats from either of these guys for that price. But to each his own as the saying goes.
There's high prices through cost, for example, one of the shirts that Tina makes for me would cost a high price if she were to do it for a business. It takes her ten hours, the going rate for an artisan in the UK is about £25 an hour, give or take. £25 is roughly US $30, you then have to cost in the notions like collar stiffener, buttons needle and thread. Then there's the cost of the paper pattern and the postage when buying it. Add on the cost of her cabin, the electricity and you can see why my shirts would retail around $400.

But if Tina had a "name" and was very well known, she could probably double that price. That's how the market works.

For what it's worth, I have just paid one of the UK's well known tailors close on $900 for this hand made blazer. Taking the format that I explained about Tina's shirts, I consider this blazer good value for the money.

Dandy 002.JPG

I’m with you. I never considered one of his hats since his prices went up, but maybe he can sell as many as he needs to at those prices? I’m also perfectly happy with the alternatives I’m using.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Seeing that hat by Tim Mahovich on eBay yesterday made me feel like wearing my own today. It has a definite green tinge in the shade, but my camera can't capture it. Excellent felt.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
I messaged Tim Mahovich to ask directly, and here is what he told me:
Hi Max. I'm very busy at the moment building the distributorships for the felt house; and developing a client base for product consumption.

I did take a few hat clients about 5 deep. 2 straw and a few dress fedora. Guys would have to have some patience. Into 2023.

1,250 for my custom build. Dress weight 100x. 95g or 140g that's the Hat, box and brush.

We are moving to our warehouse in January, I'm in transition phase and lots going on.

As we expend, and take on a few more employees, the hat lables will resurface.

Custom build on the old west, like the one you point out using one of those 100x old west 7 inch x 6 inch fepsa felts is 1,450.00

[ the felt at 280 grams cost nearly 400 dollars each landed cost. The prices at manufacturers level are crazy expensive]

It's good you inquiry so we can let others know.

I love making hats, but my vision, a few years back seeing a need for felt products for USA / North America/ Canada hatmakers to count on and survive in businesses, that come first; next as business runs, I step to the creative table.

I messaged Tim Mahovich to ask directly, and here is what he told me:
Hi Max. I'm very busy at the moment building the distributorships for the felt house; and developing a client base for product consumption.

I did take a few hat clients about 5 deep. 2 straw and a few dress fedora. Guys would have to have some patience. Into 2023.

1,250 for my custom build. Dress weight 100x. 95g or 140g that's the Hat, box and brush.

We are moving to our warehouse in January, I'm in transition phase and lots going on.

As we expend, and take on a few more employees, the hat lables will resurface.

Custom build on the old west, like the one you point out using one of those 100x old west 7 inch x 6 inch fepsa felts is 1,450.00

[ the felt at 280 grams cost nearly 400 dollars each landed cost. The prices at manufacturers level are crazy expensive]

It's good you inquiry so we can let others know.

I love making hats, but my vision, a few years back seeing a need for felt products for USA / North America/ Canada hatmakers to count on and survive in businesses, that come first; next as business runs, I step to the creative table.

That’s $1,000 in labor. I’m happy for him if he can get it, but it’s beyond me.

Mysfit

New in Town
Just received this Knox Superfine. I do not have info on style /model name. Took a bit of a chance on size but I asked Ebay seller to measure inside and he got 24 1/2, so as a 7 5/8 I purchased it. seller did agree that he would accept return if fit was off. I have 12 fedoras including two custom hats. This hat though...I tried it on and it was like I had owned it for years. Very comfortable, more so than any of my other hats. It's a keeper.

Attachments

• IMG_0659.JPG
    IMG_0659.JPG
    359.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0657.JPG
    IMG_0657.JPG
    294.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0656.JPG
    IMG_0656.JPG
    339.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0655.JPG
    IMG_0655.JPG
    351.4 KB · Views: 49
Just received this Knox Superfine. I do not have info on style /model name. Took a bit of a chance on size but I asked Ebay seller to measure inside and he got 24 1/2, so as a 7 5/8 I purchased it. seller did agree that he would accept return if fit was off. I have 12 fedoras including two custom hats. This hat though...I tried it on and it was like I had owned it for years. Very comfortable, more so than any of my other hats. It's a keeper.
Excellent. Nice find!

Mysfit

New in Town
Hi Bob,
There was a remnant of a sticker but nothing left I could read. The photos below were the only other things I found, under the edge of the liner. What is a felted or Cavanaugh edge? It is a plain edge , not bound with bias ? tape I use sewing Cordura. I am not sure if bias tape is the term of art for hats.

Attachments

• IMG_0667.JPG
    IMG_0667.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0666.JPG
    IMG_0666.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 66
Nice! I don’t recall seeing a Superfine western. Is that a felted (Cavanagh) edge on the brim? Have you been able to put eyes on any factory sticker behind the sweat band? Be careful if you look …

Hi Bob,
There was a remnant of a sticker but nothing left I could read. The photos below were the only other things I found, under the edge of the liner. What is a felted or Cavanaugh edge? It is a plain edge , not bound with bias ? tape I use sewing Cordura. I am not sure if bias tape is the term of art for hats.
I see what Bob is saying about the brim sort of appearing to have a Cavanagh edge. does it feel like the edge of the brim is slightly raised? Slightly thicker at the edge than the rest of the brim

That paper tag might point to a late 1930s to 1940s hat.

Mysfit

New in Town
Son of a gun! It does have a Cavanagh edge. You folks have good eyes. I hope you can see it in the photos but I can see it and feel it, now that I know what to look for. Thanks for the link Bob and the "slightly thicker" mention Joe. I envisioned a rounded edge but it is flat. You can feel it easily. I would not have known to look for this. Thank you both.

Attachments

• IMG_0668.JPG
    IMG_0668.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0669.JPG
    IMG_0669.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 47

Just Daniel

One Too Many
GREAT hat!

Son of a gun! It does have a Cavanagh edge. You folks have good eyes. I hope you can see it in the photos but I can see it and feel it, now that I know what to look for. Thanks for the link Bob and the "slightly thicker" mention Joe. I envisioned a rounded edge but it is flat. You can feel it easily. I would not have known to look for this. Thank you both.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo