Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

You point though, John, should be well taken. Buyer beware.
I should have pointed out, Blake, that being an uninformed buyer or seller is not against the law. (All in good fun!)
If we did THAT........this very thread would not exist...
No doubt to the delight of some Bartenders & members.

There’s an old saying that goes something like this; We all have a dog that follows us around named Ego.

The problems come about because some dogs are teacup size & some people have Mastiffs.

Who?

Practically Family
A working BS Detector is an essential thing in life, and it’s too bad that so many people don’t have one.

It costs the world gobs of money and emotional energy trying to protect fools from their own folly, with a depressingly low rate of success

And now back to our regularly scheduled griping….

Here we go with yet another too small shipping box…. I’m gonna assume no harm no foul though on this old felt.

DF1FF09C-824B-4736-89B4-CAFF0958CEAC.jpeg
8514EF13-6C9F-40E0-9121-405638AB83A7.jpeg

I am however amused at the rear creasing! I am surprised I did not pick up on this in the sellers photos.

FA502612-87FA-4E05-8693-93B6DDFD2F4F.jpeg
9B5F77D2-D9B3-4EA2-82B8-ECC9998F563C.jpeg

Funny—I did not notice! I wonder if it belonged to a woman—aren’t they supposed to wear the bow on the right?
Lady’s hats do generally have the bow on the right. However this one was in fact crease backwards with the pinch at the size tag/rear seam. It is entirely possible it was worn this way by a woman With the crease turned around to the front and bow to the right.

True…. But at the same time fraud is still fraud.

Really depends on what is being embellished and to what degree.

Claims of false advertising generally come down to “would any normal person believe this to be true.. or is it just hyperbole“ Can really be both a high and low bar depending on legal counsel :D

You point though, John, should be well taken. Buyer beware.
Had to bring this back up, because if this were that easy we would all be suing the bartender who invented the “Panty Dropper” cocktail for false advertising. I’m sure a few of those have ended up on my tab thru the yrs.

jeff

One of the Regulars
IANAL, but my understanding is that successful false advertising cases revolve around total $$$$ involved.

For one $35 hat? Heck, one $200 hat? Utterly pointless - maybe a half dozen people were misled by the text on the Stetson website.

Now, if the false advertising were about a 7-figure Koenigsegg, "they said the seats were leather! turns out they're vinyl!" - you have a case worth fighting (assuming Koenigsegg didn't just fix the problem... which in all likelyhood they would).

Alternatively, if the item in question is indeed low(ish) value but there were a ton of sales that can lead back to the false statement, you may have a case. Imagine if Levi's advertised that all of their basic denim 501 jeans are 100% cotton, and it turns out they're 50% polyester (and Levi's refused to make good on replacing all those jeans when folks complain). You'd likely have lawyers tripping over themselves to take on a class action suit. Of course, it's the lawyers who'll make out in such a scenario. Most folks at best would get a coupon or partial refund of the cost of the jeans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ