Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

I admit my ignorance of such things up front, so please don't think I'm trying to poke at anyone - are the bell ends of trumpets and trombones not round? How does an oval mute work? All I've ever seen look more like a broad round funnel with a covered top, if that makes sense. Or for a different crowd, the snow shield on a truck's air horns. ;)
He uses one at 4:23

Louis Mountbatten

One of the Regulars
I admit my ignorance of such things up front, so please don't think I'm trying to poke at anyone - are the bell ends of trumpets and trombones not round? How does an oval mute work? All I've ever seen look more like a broad round funnel with a covered top, if that makes sense. Or for a different crowd, the snow shield on a truck's air horns. ;)
To my knowledge, the hat mutes are meant to muffle the noise, not be a tight enough fit to stifle it.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Understood, thank you! I know next to absolutely nothing about horn music, but the mutes I remember seeing in the past looked something like this, although not as full on the bell end:

1671746505302.png

Sorry to go so far off track, but I'm always amazed at the diversity of the things I learn here, thanks to each of you!

Understood, thank you! I know next to absolutely nothing about horn music, but the mutes I remember seeing in the past looked something like this, although not as full on the bell end:

View attachment 475159
Sorry to go so far off track, but I'm always amazed at the diversity of the things I learn here, thanks to each of you!

These are the "fancy mutes."

View attachment 475159

Those were made under railroad bridges by hobo artisans using old beef stew cans and scraps of tire debris from the freeway. ;)

Snowman

Practically Family
There are different types of horn mutes. The purpose is not simply to make them sound softer (the musician can control the volume) but to change the timbre, or sound color. Think of an artist’s palette of colors, but with sound. Hats were often used in the early days of jazz (and beyond), and those type mutes are often called wah-wahs. If you’ve ever heard a trombonist use one, you’ll know that sound.

And now for the Festivus Airing of the Grievances.

FIVE HATS IN THIS BOX! (12X10X7)

View attachment 475388

They are all project hats that arrived from Canada about a week ahead of schedule. No harm no foul. But amusing none the less

Coming next week to Post New Hats
View attachment 475389
Well, it's not an envelope! That's something at least. They will bounce back and few things are more gratifying than that. Looking forward to them, Joe.

FIVE HATS IN THIS BOX! (12X10X7)

I guess there is always a trade off.

Seven hats shipped for $29.05. They had been stored like this for sometime in one tall hat box, so I’m alright with it.

81EB19E3-F611-45D2-B6DA-8C3D3EEEA682.jpeg

8E71C10B-E846-46E8-B31C-746A9525CA5B.jpeg

Four hats (two of them straw) shipped for $157.28. That was just the shipping cost folks. A beautiful job of packing, but still.

8CD8EECB-1BBC-41D7-90BD-86A25FB7C1D4.jpeg

^^^^^ This was like a four inch pillow on top of the hats.

E7271EC5-0C84-4803-A11B-1592CB81C4B6.jpeg

C7F9DFE3-68D5-4B1A-A602-3B3EF567BAE1.jpeg

AF36C4EA-1B78-4DC1-9D96-29907DC13C50.jpeg

B92E9A32-6D40-45FA-9F2B-A4A25D38FB7C.jpeg

ECF70F4E-9921-41BD-BAA1-D3DFB80DE1C0.jpeg

105B493B-147C-429C-9E9A-EF70D909E104.jpeg

499987B9-1C46-40E1-A04C-EF6959F54FC2.jpeg

buler

I'll Lock Up
Chalk this one up under gripes. My most recent auction winner has turned out to be a non-payer. Very frustrating. It seems that after being a high bidder, all you have to do is ignore all invoices/requests for payment.

What does eBay do? The give the account a "strike" (whatever that really means).

What, as a seller, can you do? Not much. I did find a setting that you may want to change in your ebay account if you do any selling. It's under My ebay>Selling>Selling preferences>Your Buyers>Blocked buyers list.
Once there, look under the Buyer Requirements section and you can block buyers who have committed 2 (they don't have 1 as a choice) nonpayments in the last 12 months (1 and 6 months are also choices). I'd like 1 nonpayment to be a choice.

At least this should stop habitual nonpayers from bidding and winning your auctions.

I don't really understand why you would bid on something with no intention of paying. Unless you are "drunk bidding" or have some personality disorder.

Hope this helps someone not go thru the stress of this situation.

B

Yamahana

Practically Family
Chalk this one up under gripes. My most recent auction winner has turned out to be a non-payer. Very frustrating. It seems that after being a high bidder, all you have to do is ignore all invoices/requests for payment.

What does eBay do? The give the account a "strike" (whatever that really means).

What, as a seller, can you do? Not much. I did find a setting that you may want to change in your ebay account if you do any selling. It's under My ebay>Selling>Selling preferences>Your Buyers>Blocked buyers list.
Once there, look under the Buyer Requirements section and you can block buyers who have committed 2 (they don't have 1 as a choice) nonpayments in the last 12 months (1 and 6 months are also choices). I'd like 1 nonpayment to be a choice.

At least this should stop habitual nonpayers from bidding and winning your auctions.

I don't really understand why you would bid on something with no intention of paying. Unless you are "drunk bidding" or have some personality disorder.

Hope this helps someone not go thru the stress of this situation.

B
Was this on that fabulous Disney? That has got to be extremely frustrating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ