Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Ande1964

Practically Family
Sigh...

I just lost out on this Borsalino, when my two hundred bucks proved not enough. I didn't want to pay more, so I can't be too sad, but it sure is a beauty.

6064_1.JPG

Anj

MattJH

One Too Many
Ande1964 said:
I just lost out on this Borsalino, when my two hundred bucks proved not enough. I didn't want to pay more, so I can't be too sad, but it sure is a beauty.

I was watching that but, then again (and unfortunately), I think most people were.

RHY

One of the Regulars
MacLachlan

DJ,
As you know, I won the MacLachlan hat on Ebay. Anxiously awaiting arrival any day. Looking at the Stratoliner that is currently listed.
RHY

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
GWD said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270260250540&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=017

If someone here won these hats and you are a 7 1/4, I'll buy the 7 1/8 from you.

That was an interesting series of auctions. The first one the guy had for these hats went to $355, but the reserve wasn't met. I think at that point would-be bidders were thinking "Geez, how high is this guy's reserve, anyway?"

The second one the starting bid was set at $350. No takers. We've all seen a certain reluctance on the part of bidders to bid on high starting bids even though it's a good bet the price would pass that amount in time (as it did in the previous auction.)

The third one (link in GWD's quote above) started at $99 and in the last few seconds went from $305 to $380. So here we have an example of a reasonable (from potential bidders points of view, anyway) opening bid attracting a bidder, with no wondering how high a reserve was. In the end he came out $25 ahead.

All in all, an interesting snapshot of how different listing strategies play out. :D

Wonder how it would have gone had he auctioned them off seperately?

Cheers,
Tom

PS Good luck, GWD! I'm a 7 1/4 but didn't try for it.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I wonder how the ebay fees will hit him on those auctions. I know you get a free re-list if your item doesn't sell, but he was on his third and changed reserves, high opening bids, etc. Plus, with that high final value fee and the paypal fees that you can't avoid, he might be out quite a bit of that sale price.

If they were different colors, selling them together would have been a good move. For two of the same hat, I'd have two auctions.

GWD

One Too Many
You guys called that one right, I was the $350.00 in the first auction, the bid started at $350.00 the second time but I don't remember if it had a reserve. I was the the second highest bidder today. I figured I'd keep the 1/8 and resell the 1/4. I'm hoping todays buyer has the same idea.

P.S. After a second look at the bid history it looks like if I went $381.00 I would have won it. :rage:

Stetsonian

New in Town
buttsmoocher

Lefty said:
I just watched that go too and love the buyer's name.

Thanks Lefty! I pulled that name out of.....well, you can guess! You know how it can be, you think you have the most clever user name to register with, and then after you've gone through 10 denials and revisions because someone else was more clever first, you finally strike out in frustration and anger and weeelll......the rest as they say is history.

This is my first post here at the Fed Lounge although I've been a lurker for about a year. I’m looking forward to getting the hat and hope it’s as good as the pics and description say it is.

Cheers!,
Jay

P.S. GWD, I love your new boater, been looking for one of those myself.
Looks like yours came from the Philly factory outlet store which I think is a super bonus!

Selentino

One of the Regulars
I was also watching the Borso and did not pull the trigger because of the high crown. I'm glad it went to a forum member. great catch.

Lumelux

New in Town
Lefty said:
I'd love to get a hat from Marc (crosby square), as I know that you can trust his information on his products. Every time he runs an auction, which I think is about once a year, I hope for a 7 1/2, but no such luck. He's got the world's best selection of nothing that fits me. :(

I just received the grey Adam he [Crosby Square] had listed. It's beautiful and fits perfect. Once we get settled in our new place, I'll post pics of it. I love the pleated ribbon. It looks like a hat I saw in the movie Strangers on a Train last week. That's why I bought it. I remembered liking the way it looked on the guy. I think it was one of the detectives.

mike

funneman

Practically Family

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessmiller97