Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

MattJH

One Too Many
Did I mess up on avoiding this 7 5/8 Stetson due to the dark brown sweatband? I don't know whether or not I should be proud or filled with regret. Let me know.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I don't know if you missed out, but either they pinched the back of the hat or the image is reversed. It took me a minute to figure out why it seemed strange.

I try not to regret passing on auctions, though it can be tough. I just try to think about the ones I really want, and how not winning a hat I sort of want saves the money for the one that really blows my hair back.

Wesne

One of the Regulars
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&&item=320285645417

It wasn't listed very well, the photo didn't show very much, and the seller had zero feedback. But, it's Cavanagh, allegedly size 7 1/2 (I've learned the hard way to be skeptical of claimed hat sizes on eBay), and the opening bid was $39.99 plus $5 shipping. Worth a little gamble, I figured. Well, it arrived today and I will say the gamble paid off this time. It's quite a nice hat - not quite "almost like new" as listed - but not bad. And it really is a size 7 1/2. :D

I'll post detailed photos as soon I get a chance, but a few details - the brim is 2 1/8 inches, it's got the Cavanagh Edge, and the original price was $15. The felt is amazing - as soft to the touch as my Kitten Finish Resistol, but much lighter. Extremely supple. The sweatband is something I've never seen before. At first glance it appears to be fabric (dark in color but similar to the fabric used for liners - silk or some kind of synthetic like rayon?) but on closer inspection the fabric is covering a very thin, soft leather (exposed on the inner side) that feels like deerskin. I'll get some pictures up in another thread when I get a chance to take some.

Selentino

One of the Regulars
Who just kicked my butt from out of nowhere on those two Strats?
10 seconds left and Bam! I couldn't type or click fast enough to catch up.
Well done:rage: :rage: lol lol

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
OK, guys, I'll come clean. No smirkin' involved, I can assure you -- but I was amazed that Lefty called that one so quickly! :eek:

The auction interested me for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, I have never been able to score a vintage Stratoliner, and this one really looks like it has promise. The sweat and liner look to be in absolutely excellent condition, and I am hoping that the felt will follow suit. The liner appears to have the oil skin protector in the crown and has a liner that matches a couple of Stetsons I have from the 40's. We'll see...

The other lid is actually the kind of hat I was referring to in another thread -- it is an OR-style (;) ) with a very narrow ribbon. Looks like it may have a moth hole in the crown, but we'll see on that, as well.

Lastly, the box also intrigued me. I've never seen one like it, and it looks to have a price tag on the outside, so that may be useful in dating the lids (if the box is original to either of the lids). We'll see...:)

Cheers,
JtL

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
With all of the vintage lids I've been scoring lately, I wasn't about to get involved in an auction that I knew would end at well over 300, possibly closer to 4. With where that 7x landed a couple of weeks back, I wouldn't have been shocked to see this one hit 5 - it is, after all, 2 hats. I decided that I'd just post on it instead.

The strat looks great, but as you said, the other lid looks to have a pretty decent blemish. I bet that with a patented JtL bash, that little bugger will be hidden within the peaks and valleys. Congrats.

Selentino

One of the Regulars
I was planning to kep the Strat and sell the OR. I hope some of you guys were watching. He timed it perfectly, He hit me out of nowhere
while I was just about to do the happy dance. I was unable to hit the one click button or type fast enough, it was great. :confused:

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just Won This....

This is kinda Groovy....Literally. Has anyone ever heard of "Monaco" felt before? I've seen these cool grooves in the felt before though...
I can't wait to get this one, it looks to be in good shape.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I would have gone for this one, but at 7-5/8, it's too big for me. Someone got a heck of a deal though, at a $10 sale price.

I'm posting it here because I have a question. Anyone seen a stetson plastic Felt before? It looks like an old one- '40s or '50s, but I can't say I've ever seen one.

54be_1.jpg

55f6_1.jpg

56ca_1.jpg

duggap

Banned
Dinerman, did you select Nova Scotia for school. But the most important thing is are you finding any neat hats up there. Or has this been your secret hunting ground all along.;)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I was really curious about that plastic felt as well, I have no idea what it might feel like.

That Monaco looks similar, but the bad photos make it tough to tell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner