Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
carouselvic said:
I am not certain of the age of this hat. I will need to seek the help of our semi-Canuck(Dinerman). My other #1 Quality has a 1963 date written in it along with two men's names. Possible gift??? I have high hopes for the one I just received, it is a bone color.

I'd say '40s, maybe early '50s on it, but I can't be entirely sure. Canadian stetsons had so many quirky things going on when compared with their American cousins, different sweatbands (I've seen canadian stratoliners with diamond ventilated sweatbands, like were used on lightweight American Mallory's), different markings on the sweatbands (different typefaces, aquashed, etc.), different liners. Some bits seem to have hung around longer on Canadian ones than the ones made in the states.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
nice, cheap, thin ribbon dobbs westward

west3.JPG

west4.JPG

west7.JPG

west5.JPG

carter

I'll Lock Up
A few notables

A nice Buckingham China Clipper boater went for $31.00.
straw1.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=280304325240

7 1/2 Lee Waterblock went for $29.99.
!BL(YpBwBmk~$(KGrHgoH-CwEjlLl)G!HBJe8vf6gY!~~_1.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=400026900353

No bids on a size 7 Carlson Craftsmen Baku straw. (Baku straw comes from Ceylon.) I'd have been in the hunt on this one if it was a lot larger. Someone with a size 7 should contact the seller. Nice hat.
ae98_3.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ndexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

cookie

I'll Lock Up
That Baku is interesting as it does not resemble the modern Borsalino Baku which is a point that Besdor recently made.In fact it looks more like a better woven Parabuntal.

RBH

Bartender
carter said:
What was her name? Felecia? ;) :)

Rusty, I looked at that one but couldn't for the life of me figure out what exactly it was. I'm looking forward to your revelation.
clothfedlx5.jpg
I dont have any photos but this is a hat I have looked for for years!!!
It is cloth and has a 2 5\8s brim with a fedora crease that is 4 3\8s in front and
3 7\8s in back.
I like it!

carter

I'll Lock Up
cookie said:
That Baku is interesting as it does not resemble the modern Borsalino Baku which is a point that Besdor recently made.In fact it looks more like a better woven Parabuntal.
I don't like the Baku straws from Borsalino at all. The weave would look better as a boater.
Baku-Snap-Brown-Lge.gif
BO440010LG.gif

Better-woven Baku straws, made in Italy, can be found at:
http://www.shushans.com/fifthpage.html

The Baku Bob Fedora, $140.00
bakubob.jpg

The Regina Baku, $140.00
reginabaku.jpg

Topdog

Familiar Face
Just got this delived yesterday. i picked it up on ebay at a sellers store for $35. It included the vintage box with original tissue paper wrapping and insert in excellent condition. It is a little small for me at a size 7 . I'll either have it professionally sized to a 7 1/8 or turn it back to ebay.

Does anyone have an idea of the decade?

homburg1.jpg

homburg2.jpg

homburg3.jpg

homburg5.jpg

homburg4.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Topdog said:
Just got this delived yesterday. i picked it up on ebay at a sellers store for $35. It included the vintage box with original tissue paper wrapping and insert in excellent condition. It is a little small for me at a size 7 . I'll either have it professionally sized to a 7 1/8 or turn it back to ebay.

Does anyone have an idea of the decade?

Looks like a nice Cavanagh, Topdog. My gut instinct tells me it's late-50s, early-60s. There's always the chance it could be earlier, but with Cavanagh, you really never know.

Brad

Topdog

Familiar Face
I was excited to find it at that price. It is pristine. I hope that Optimo can get it to fit my lid without having to change out the perfect vintage sweatband. The internal circumference is about 22". I need it to be 22 3/8". If I have to change the sweat, I think I will just try to resell it. I hate to change its authenticity.

spim

New in Town
Lefty said:
It's funny how you can see something you've never seen before, and then see another thing just like it within a few months.

The Bible of camera collecting is McKeown's.

McKeown's Law of camera collecting states.

"The price of an antique camera is entirely dependent upon the moods of the buyer and seller at the time of the transaction."

Several corollaries have been added to this general philosophy of collecting.
1. "If you pass up the chance to buy a camera you really want, you will never have that chance again."

2. "If you buy a camera because you know you will never have the chance again, a better example of the same camera will be offered to you a week later for a much lower price."

Just change camera to hats. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart