Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Cavanagh 7 3/8

Just got this one. Looks like a mid to late 60ies black Cavanagh

Will show more of it, once it is here. Pics were not very distinct, but for the price... :)

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Dreispitz said:
Just got this one. Looks like a mid to late 60ies black Cavanagh

Will show more of it, once it is here. Pics were not very distinct, but for the price... :)

I was shocked you were the only bidder! Any hat in that size, particularly a Cavanagh, usually attracts a crowd. I guess the poor photos and maybe the fact the seller hadn't sold anything yet scared people away. But for a few bucks, it was certainly worth taking a gamble on.

Brad

airspirit

New in Town
I have my brother's wedding to go to later this month and picked out a nice (if you can call the modern crap "nice" ... went as conservative as I could) suit that screamed HOMBURG to me. After perusing Bernie Utz I picked up a grey homburg that looked nice, but the more I looked at it a couple weeks later I just wasn't happy (my first hat I may have to resell). Grey didn't work--I needed black.

Stetson 3X Beaver Homburg 7 3/8

Won and hopefully on its way in time for its debut.

Levallois

Practically Family
I paid way too much for this one because a sniper came in at the end and price jumped about $55. But, I had to have it and we all know how that goes. Sold by S.L. Bird & Sons, Detroit. Anybody got an idea about the age? I was thinking 1940s?

I've been looking for a hat in a rarer color and since I can't have Johnny Depp's Public Enemies Oxblood, this will have to do. The question is can I make it work with a 3-piece medium gray DB suit if I tie it in with a dark green tie and pocket square? We'll see.

Greenfedora.jpg

munchausen

One of the Regulars
Nice catch Levallois

I was watching that hat, but I couldn't justify the price it was going up by. But it's a very nice looking hat, look forward to any pics with the three piece. :eusa_clap

Levallois

Practically Family
munchausen,

Thanks for the reply. I can't justify the cost either. If my wife finds out how much I paid, then I'll be limping around wearing this hat.

John

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Mario said:
Very well, Dreispitz - this one looks really nice, and the price is...well - priceless! :D

Thank you, Mario! Your Mayser was a decent find, too! I fetched a black Mayser the last days. To be posted, soon :rolleyes:

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Brad Bowers said:
I was shocked you were the only bidder! Any hat in that size, particularly a Cavanagh, usually attracts a crowd. I guess the poor photos and maybe the fact the seller hadn't sold anything yet scared people away. But for a few bucks, it was certainly worth taking a gamble on.

Brad

I was actually waiting for other bidders to come in. It still has the tags on and the sweatband bow seams to feature no signs of brownisch discolouration (usually a sign for a hat having been worn). I was kind of desperate for a black Cavanagh. They are quite scarce, though. Let´s see what will arrive in the end.

By the way, when did Cavanagh stop produce hats?

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Thank you, Dreispitz! Yes, I'm very happy with the Mayser Superbe. I wore it the last couple of days with different combos, from more formal to casual. This has to be the lightest, floppiest felt I own so far, followed by my Cambridge with its Antilope finish.

Err...by the way: that black Mayser you won...you're not, by any chance, referring to this one?

!BVoeDFw!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKj!EjlLm,WqpBKTfHfTjZ!~~_1.JPG

Dreispitz said:
Thank you, Mario! Your Mayser was a decent find, too! I fetched a black Mayser the last days. To be posted, soon :rolleyes:

munchausen

One of the Regulars
'Til the wife finds out

It sounds all too familiar, Levallois. I can't even hide the price because my wife handles the finances! :eusa_doh:

Sill, it was a nice find and a great colour.

I'm jealous of all the new acquisitions I have seen.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Mario said:
Thank you, Dreispitz! Yes, I'm very happy with the Mayser Superbe. I wore it the last couple of days with different combos, from more formal to casual. This has to be the lightest, floppiest felt I own so far, followed by my Cambridge in Antilope finish.

Err...by the way: that black Mayser you won...you're not, by any chance, referring to this one?

!BVoeDFw!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKj!EjlLm,WqpBKTfHfTjZ!~~_1.JPG

You detective! :eek: :eek: lol lol :eusa_clap

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Well...I have to confess that, after I sniffed it out on the bay and sadly discovered that it was not my size, I tipped it off to a certain someone - who got outbid on it...by you! :D

Anway: congrats on that Mayser - I really like the look of it. For a Mayser, it's actually a rare look with it's straight, tall crown and wide brim. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Nothing personal, but I wish it had been my size, though...I believe it would fit me MUCH BETTER! Yes! :D :D Well...good thing it went to a lounger.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Mario said:
Well...I have to confess that, when I sniffed it out on the bay and sadly discovered that it was not my size, I tipped it off to a certain someone - who got outbid on it...by you! :D

:whip: :cheers1: :cry: :p ;) ;)

Fun! I will post in on the German Austrian ... when it is here. It is indeed quite unusual. Looks like a bound edge on the pics. This is again very much an US style. The sweatband is broad - could be 50ies or even earlier. I am curious what other discoveries it will bring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner