Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

mannySpaghetti

One of the Regulars
feltfan said:
The Flagship looks great as it is. Why send it to Optimo?
ScottF said:
I was wondering that also. I know a lot of people send almost any old hat to Optimo, but you can really bring most hats back to life on your own.

As always, the pics hide the discrepencies. It's dirty and has some sweat stains on the hatband and some of the felt. If anyone's sweat's gonna be on it, it's gonna be mine. :p Aside from that, I think after 62 years it probably needs a nice cleaning and reblock. I spent a lot of dough on this lid and don't mind spending a little more to get it back to it's former glory.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
feltfan said:
I seem to recall I had a dispute with that seller once. Can't get to my email at the moment to be sure. Hope it is as nice as the buyer expects.

I must admit that I was somewhat alarmed when I read your post about the Seller, feltfan. But, all has turned out well. The Dobbs 20 arrived with lightning fast speed, beautifully packaged by the Seller, and in its original box. As I had hoped, this hat is in virtually mint condition -- beautiful felt in a gorgeous shade of tan, complemented by a ribbon that I would describe as reddish-copper in color. Very unique. It is as nice as I expected and then some. :)

Cheers,
JtL

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Stetson Flagship

Here is a Stetson Flagship I wasn't allowed to bid on as the auction was restricted to the US. :mad: Went for $22.72... :rage:

I'd have been willing to pay a good deal more than that. So what...

!BdpmGiQBWk~$(KGrHqIOKk!Eq32pjQcCBK51iJ204g~~_12.JPG

!BdpnNsQ!2k~$(KGrHqEOKjsEq4D8,J3-BK51k8B-Og~~_12.JPG

!BdpmNlg!Wk~$(KGrHqUOKjUEq5KtgYCEBK51i,2p4g~~_12.JPG

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I also shyed away from it......so if one of us three 6 7/8ers didn't get it then who did?

billyspew

One Too Many
GallatinHatMan said:

That Stetson looks very similar to a Royal Stetson Vita Felt I have, the binding edge has a very interesting hue to it. Looks old - wasn't Royal Stetson Deluxe was an earlier designation I think.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Got what I thought looked like a deal on this N. of the 48th thin ribbon until I saw the "postage" costs, I nearly choked. Worth it but not such a steal anymore. Oh, well, we'll see whenever Canada Post gits it here. Maybe, it's why there were so few bidders, dad gum it!
I know Canada post is expensive, but a fella likes to be kissed first, ya know! :eusa_doh:

Scott257

New in Town
Question

What is the deal with the auctions where the hat is described as a low quality piece of junk? Has anyone else noticed these?

RBH

Bartender
Rick Blaine said:
Got what I thought looked like a deal on this N. of the 48th thin ribbon until I saw the "postage" costs, I nearly choked. Worth it but not such a steal anymore. Oh, well, we'll see whenever Canada Post gits it here. Maybe, it's why there were so few bidders, dad gum it!
I know Canada post is expensive, but a fella likes to be kissed first, ya know! :eusa_doh:
Looks like a nice hat Rick.
I wonder what the pin looks like....
Hope to get to see it on you!!!!!

marvelgoose

One of the Regulars
Scott257 said:
What is the deal with the auctions where the hat is described as a low quality piece of junk? Has anyone else noticed these?

Yeah, I went to his website. Willing to bet that the reserve on the hat is somewhere around $5k so he doesn't have to sell it. He makes comments that he had to fight with eBay to keep using this tactic of tearing down the competition.

While I am sure it draws the curious, my own reaction was that people who are going to buy an expensive, hand made, bespoke hat from someone they never met would tend to go with a guy with a positive attitude. I mean, if there are issues with the hat, you just know he's going to be a problem.

But then I could be wrong. Maybe his stuff is so good that his customers are willing to put up with a measure of irascibility.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy