Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Stetson Select

Felt is closest vintage felt to my Akubra Fed IV Heritage - similar thickness and feel, but a little higher quality. 6" crown, 2 5/8" brim at front, 2 1/2 at sides.

Select3SideUnB.jpg

Select3Side.jpg

Select3Logox2.jpg

Select3Bottom.jpg

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Thanks! I almost think I might have seen that one while I was sifting through eBay the other day, but I guess I didn't give it enough credit!

flute

P.S.--How old is it? Could I venture a guess and say it's 1940's?

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
fluteplayer07 said:
Thanks! I almost think I might have seen that one while I was sifting through eBay the other day, but I guess I didn't give it enough credit!

flute

P.S.--How old is it? Could I venture a guess and say it's 1940's?

It's late '20s to early '30s. Sometime in the early to mid-30s, Stetson went to a round logo for this quality. Also, I've found another variation of the early Select logo that I think pre-dates this one, and was used until at least 1927. But I could be wrong, and this one could be the older of the two - it's all educated guesses based on details of hat construction, price tags, etc.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Hey, I was only off by... about 20 years. :eusa_doh: Neat that you know all this! I can't wait to see the website you were talking about before. Is it live yet?

flute

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
fluteplayer07 said:
Hey, I was only off by... about 20 years. :eusa_doh: Neat that you know all this! I can't wait to see the website you were talking about before. Is it live yet?

flute

Not live yet. I have all the pictures I need, and also some cool extra features - all ready to add, but I still need to visit the Mac store to discuss software.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ScottF said:
Felt is closest vintage felt to my Akubra Fed IV Heritage - similar thickness and feel, but a little higher quality. 6" crown, 2 5/8" brim at front, 2 1/2 at sides.

Select3SideUnB.jpg

Select3Side.jpg

Select3Logox2.jpg

Select3Bottom.jpg

Beautiful Scott. You seem to have developed quite a knack for spotting these great old hats.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
DOUGLAS said:
Beautiful Scott. You seem to have developed quite a knack for spotting these great old hats.

Thanks Douglas. Since pulling it off the block this morning, I've had it on all day - it is embarrassingly Indy-looking. If I found a dark brown one like this, I would just give up and go buy a bullwhip.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Lloyd said:
Garve De Luxe Hat Stretcher
Finally managed to score one of these.

Maybe the market on these is getting saturated. This one went for considerably less than the last non-powered one and for about half of the last 2 powered models.
Or maybe is was just my turn and I got lucky;)

Oh, the auction link is
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360241574330&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I'll be curious to hear how that works out for you. I use the full-size wooden one, mainly because I can re-block a hat on it and/or stretch, then use a smaller full-size block to work out the marks in the middle. Can you do the same with the metal ones?

Michaelshane

One Too Many
ScottF said:
Do you think it might be because it's from the '60s? Other than the 7X's, Stetson quality seems to be a bit questionable from the '60s on. I could be wrong - only have owned 3-4 of them.
I have one just like that,It's an incredible hat.My box is green.I paid about $20.more

P1050563.jpg
[/IMG]

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
While mine doesn't touch my 7x, it's pretty great. As to the dating, I doubt that too many people would have any clue as to the date on that one. To me, a bigger factor is the name - I bet that if it said Open Road on the sweat, you could add $100 to the price.

ScottF said:
Do you think it might be because it's from the '60s? Other than the 7X's, Stetson quality seems to be a bit questionable from the '60s on. I could be wrong - only have owned 3-4 of them.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:
While mine doesn't touch my 7x, it's pretty great. As to the dating, I doubt that too many people would have any clue as to the date on that one. To me, a bigger factor is the name - I bet that if it said Open Road on the sweat, you could add $100 to the price.

Just back from my first Moroccan meal, and thinking clearer...I've seen that very exact Stetson box style (realizing that boxes don't always go with the hat) several times with early '60s hats, but looking closer, the size tag on that hat is probably '50s, right? So who knows. But you're right - the bidders weren't likely to have had a clue, so this hat sells for an unpredictable price, just as most O.R.-style Stetsons without the 'Open Road' stamping have been doing lately. It also illustrates what I believe about what an 'Open Road' really is, but I won't stir that pot again - if it makes someone feel better to call their hat an 'Open Road', no reason to rain on their parade.

Also, I've heard some 'Twenty Five' owners say they love that felt better than a 7X. Personally, my favorite Stetson felt qualities are 3X, No. 1, and Nutria, but plain old 'Royal' (from the '40s or older) is wonderful, and so different from a 7X in weight and finish, that it's like comparing apples and oranges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner