Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay scam

Edward

Bartender
If you call eBay, absolutely insist that they protect you against a negative review which the buyer will be able to leave you, even if the case has been closed in your favor. That's what happened to me. You can read about my case a few pages back but in short, even though I had won the case, the idiot buyer could still leave me a bad review and now I'm stuck with it.

Yes, I completely understand that eBay wanted to stop buyers being at the mercy of sellers withholding feedback until they received it and using the threat of negative strikebacks against poor reviews. That said, they went far too far in rebiasing things the other way.

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
I had insurance and filed a claim. Since it could not be tracked the USPS researched it and wound up paying my claim. It took over a month to get reimbursed though. I would not ship internationally without insurance.

It sounds like you can prove that customs has it because you have that document. All I had was tracking. You should be OK.
Thx, but first, I dont sell via Ebay, but only directly...No more via Ebay.
Secondly as listed earlier, if you use a proper ( high end/price) courrier service, they will do all customs work ( similar as Ebay does...hate to mention this).
No way that your parcel get stuck in customs, since you have a contact name/ person doing it for you and the buyer. No way it gets lost in transition somewhere, since every move or every transit is reported and traceable...until the signature of the buyer/payer for customs.
Jewelery and watches and other valuables are sent the same way...Nobody in this business takes any risk at all...why shall I for a valuable jacket?

There is no way in Hell eBay won't find in your favor @Fonzie. With your proof of the jacket waiting for pick up he'll either have to pay or the jacket should be returned to you and he won't be entitled to a refund. I had this exact same thing happen years and years ago. One of my first sales. Buyer demanded a refund b/c I didn't ship as a gift. He never claimed it, never got his $ back and literally 1 month later the jacket came back to me. Rest assured, either way you won't lose a dime.

Fonzie

One Too Many
Thanks Tony, I don’t have many sales records on EBay but a 100% positive feedback so if the guy is dishonest could make it harder for me to sell the 4 jackets I’ve got planned to sell.
I’ll make some phone calls today and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Tony, I don’t have many sales records on EBay but a 100% positive feedback so if the guy is dishonest could make it harder for me to sell the 4 jackets I’ve got planned to sell.
I’ll make some phone calls today and see what happens.

If (when) the case is closed in your favor the buyer can't leave feedback! So he's a done deal. Kinda like the guy who slashed up my Vanson. Case closed in my favor, no refund for him or feedback option. Case. Closed!

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
If (when) the case is closed in your favor the buyer can't leave feedback! So he's a done deal. Kinda like the guy who slashed up my Vanson. Case closed in my favor, no refund for him or feedback option. Case. Closed!
if you're too excited to open a package, use your car key to cut the tape don't use a knife... hope the guy learned his lesson.

Desperandum

New in Town
I certainly wish you the best. In my case they told me their hands were tied unless they got an updated tracking status of delivered. Otherwise they considered it "Item Not Received". The problem comes in when you have some packages delivered with out the status ever changing out of "Held In Customs". In one case I checked back months later and the tracking still said "Held In customs". Meanwhile the customer notified me that he had received the jacket and was enjoying wearing it for months. Different case. Same potential issue.

This occasionally happens to me, as recipient in the UK. USPS package from USA tracks OK ( but often slow and tortuous) into Heathrow WDC. Passes Customs, leaves USPS tracking and enters Royal Mail system for delivery. Tracks separately,is delivered and marked as such in RM system but USPS sometimes stops forever at the HWDC point, and doesn't show delivered.
It's worth checking the onward postal system of the destination country for status information.

Fonzie

One Too Many
Talked to both Paypal and EBay today.
EBay says the buyer can’t claim not delivered as it’s in customs and is his responsibility. According to them, I should be fine. If he leaves bad feedback I can dispute it as I’ve got evidence.
PayPal says that I’ve provided enough evidence to show that I’ve done nothing wrong but they haven’t decided yet a case resolution, the guy I spoke to tried to imply that I should be ok but didn’t want to say a definitive answer until the case is closed.
I haven’t won yet but it’s looking good, fingers crossed.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I’m confused as to why they haven’t decided a case resolution.

With the millions of transactions they process surely this occurs on a fairly regular basis and they have a policy or at least an algorithm for how they go about resolving it??

robrinay

One Too Many
From what’s been said above the humans didn’t know about it till Fonzie rang them - they were probably leaving it for the AI’s to sort out and the AI’s were locked in a loop waiting for delivery. o_O

Fonzie

One Too Many
I’m confused as to why they haven’t decided a case resolution.

With the millions of transactions they process surely this occurs on a fairly regular basis and they have a policy or at least an algorithm for how they go about resolving it??

Your guess is as good as mine. Hopefully will know soon.

Thuggee

Practically Family
Your guess is as good as mine. Hopefully will know soon.

Hope this works out for you there are so many deadbeats on eBay I’ve been clearing out a few low cost items recently, you should see some of low ballers I’m dealing with, 1 person claimed their child bid on the auction so won’t pay, another person complaining about the free postage I offered on a item?? It’s free what’s there to complain about, hopefully your buyers just a idiot and not a serial scammer of some type and EBay/PayPal and do the right thing by you.

Fonzie

One Too Many
EBay is a scary place sometimes, lots of weirdos and dishonest people there.
I called PayPal yesterday again and in an unexpected turn of events, the lady that took my call was rude, aggressive and implying that somehow I needed to provide more evidence like a photo of the parcel in the post office. She really pissed me off, now I don’t know what to expect.
I’m really annoyed.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
EBay is a scary place sometimes, lots of weirdos and dishonest people there.
I called PayPal yesterday again and in an unexpected turn of events, the lady that took my call was rude, aggressive and implying that somehow I needed to provide more evidence like a photo of the parcel in the post office. She really pissed me off, now I don’t know what to expect.
I’m really annoyed.

Quit calling them, it can only make it worse. Forget about it and get back to your life. When they decide the case, if you don't prevail, contact them and appeal the decision, counter claim, and escalate. You will ultimately get a decent csr who will side with you. It wouldn't surprise me if Ebay/PayPal sided with both sides, eating the loss twice, figuring its better to keep two customers for the long term than to lose one of them and their future purchases. You'll be ok.

Fonzie

One Too Many
Quit calling them, it can only make it worse. Forget about it and get back to your life. When they decide the case, if you don't prevail, contact them and appeal the decision, counter claim, and escalate. You will ultimately get a decent csr who will side with you. It wouldn't surprise me if Ebay/PayPal sided with both sides, eating the loss twice, figuring its better to keep two customers for the long term than to lose one of them and their future purchases. You'll be ok.
Thanks, good call, I regretted calling them right after I hung up. Anxiety took the better of me and the outcome wasn’t good.
I’ll wait for the resolution and take it from there.
Cheers.

Fonzie

One Too Many
A little win for me today as PayPal has sided with me. I really thought that they were going to screw me over and side with the dishonest buyer. I hope he’s not gonna pull more tricks now and try to send it back for whatever other reason.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A little win for me today as PayPal has sided with me. I really thought that they were going to screw me over and side with the dishonest buyer. I hope he’s not gonna pull more tricks now and try to send it back for whatever other reason.

Great news there @Fonzie

If he sends it back without contacting you for approval I’d assume you keep the jacket and the money?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko