Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Edumication

What is your Level of Education ?

• Still in School

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • High School/GED Diploma

• Some College

• Associates

• Bachelors

• Masters

• Call me "DR."

• Went to School of HARD KNOCKS, well rounded Education

• Total voters

Tooch

One of the Regulars
BA in Government (Clark University quite rightly insisted there is nothing scientific about politics) and half-way to a law degree before dropping out in disgust.

After that, many years of working my way through editing and writing jobs before finally settling comfortably as an opinion journalist. That went well for a few years until blogging turned my chosen undemanding "profession" into an unpaid social activity. Fascinating transformation, if a little inconvenient.

Now I'm gaining an education in parenting as a stay-at-home dad and contemplating acquiring some fancy new educational credentials once the beastie is old enough for me to do so.

R.A. Stewart

Familiar Face
AtomicEraTom said:
You guys all are making me think about going back to school. I just don't know what I want to do with my life. The factory's all I know.

I'd second what Baron Kurtz said above about the flexibility of the American university system. I assume you are within a few miles of one of the 12,000 or so campuses of the remarkable UW system :) -- you could try taking a few liberal-arts courses and see what you feel drawn to. And of course there is the people's university -- the public library. Seriously. Or you might see if there is a Great Books group in your area. One thing I would do differently, if I were young again, is give more time and attention to the traditional liberal arts and to the classics.

~Rich

R.A. Stewart

Familiar Face
Fletch said:
At least you didn't do what I did. I have a PhD from BYU* - the most worthless degree on earth.

*Beating Yourself Up

Alas, if you really mean the metaphorical BYU and not the real BYU, I fear I have an advanced degree or two from there as well. Buy one from Miskatonic instead, it's cheaper and more fun. If just as useless. :D

Jack Scorpion said:
I could sure use me some good trade schoolin' right about now.

Yes, now that you remind me, I wish I'd picked up some learning in the trades along the way.

What I did do: B.A. in psychology, M.A. in Slavic languages and literatures, A.M. in library science. And much autodidactic folderol.

~Rich

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Baron Kurtz said:
I enjoy being out of my depth. Just means I need to learn more.:eusa_clap
Oh, absolutely. If you're not learning every day you're hanging with the wrong crowd...[huh]

Mav

A-List Customer
Miss 1929 said:
So, if this sounds familiar to you... I suggest researching ADD. It has changed my life to know I am not just "lazy, crazy or bad", but actually have a physical condition.
I had a similar experience in high school (four of the most meaningless and annoying years of my life) and I might throw in an alternate explanation: inate intelligence and boredom.
I drugged my son with ritalin in his school days, on the advice of his teachers and a shrink (damn their eyes), and as it turns out, he was simply too bright to deal with the drudgery and nonsense that occurs in the American institutional educational system. I regret doing so. They would have drugged me up, if I had been a kid currently. Continuing on to college, for me, was purely mercenary. Income potential was the only driver.

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
Ironically I have 2 associate degrees I never really planned.

One in photography and another in criminal science.

However with the Hard Knocks... I figure ten years in the military with big booms and close calls taught me more about life.

Especially how to appreciate it!!

PrairieSunrise

Familiar Face
I was homeschooled through high school. I didn't go to college, instead I've jumped right into the work force. Someday, when I have the $$ I hope to go to cooking school.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mav said:
...I drugged my son with ritalin in his school days, on the advice of his teachers and a shrink (damn their eyes), and as it turns out, he was simply too bright to deal with the drudgery and nonsense that occurs in the American institutional educational system. ...

Hi

You'd be surprised how often that occurs. One of the other scout leaders' kid was failing reading class, so they put him on first grade readers. When they gave him an 800 page WW2 book, he read that in 3 days.

My daughter was put on Ritalin in first grade, it turns out she was actually epileptic. Worse drugs, but it solved her problems. She eventually grew out of being epileptic.

later

HepKitty

One Too Many
MissHannah said:
BA in Fine Art Photography. Totally the wrong degree - I should have done a technical photography course and then I might actually have been good enough to make a living out of it!

that bites. is there any way you can go back for the right degree for not too much money?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy