Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ELC 1933 Werber made from their new Warhorse hide

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Werber Leather Coat Co. were awarded their first A2 contract in 1932/3 and this is the first contract to have snap closures on the pockets. The quantity made was probably less than 500.

There was considerable interest when Eastman launched their reproduction several years ago and it was considered by many to be their best Original Maker A2.

I have owned two earlier versions of the Werber 1729 contract A2 which were made from Eastman's previous type of horsehide. The latest version is made from an Italian horsehide which has more character and depth of finish. It is relatively thin (like many original horse hide A2s) and soft and drapes well. There are smooth areas and others with plenty of grain. The leather has a slight waxy feel. This one is a size 44 and is very comfortable to wear.

Most of the details are accurate, down to the leather strip on the inside of the zipper. The zipper is Eastman's Hookless brand and is a good copy of the Talons used on originals from this contract. The snaps are Eastman's own marked with their name as opposed to the United Carr variety used on originals. They have improved them with the correct indentation in the centre of the male part, which was not present when they released the earlier version of this contract. The throat latch is correctly hand sewn in, but the kink on the female side is not present on the reproduction. These are minor points which do not detract from the high quality of this jacket.

The waistband and wristlets are a perfect match for those present on the original in Gary's collection. I like these lighter coloured knits as they go well with the caramel coloured leather.

All in all this is a fantastic reproduction which I will enjoy breaking in. The pictures were taken after the jacket has been worn for just one evening.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
I want one!

Thanks for posting the pics and info Andrew!

That Jacket Is screaming for you to put on a green Wedge cap!!! :eusa_clap

pawineguy

One Too Many
Thank you for sharing and the thorough review... love the color and grain on that hide. I don't usually like the lighter knits but those colors together really work.

Brettafett

One Too Many
Very nice Andrew, looks superb. I do like the lighter knits and the unique details of this contract. Its quite a special A-2.
I am sure this jacket with break in and look incredible in the near future.
A 44 is your regular size, yes? This jacket looks pretty comfortable...

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very nice Andrew, looks superb. I do like the lighter knits and the unique details of this contract. Its quite a special A-2.
I am sure this jacket with break in and look incredible in the near future.
A 44 is your regular size, yes? This jacket looks pretty comfortable...

Thanks Brett. I can wear a size 42 depending on the cut, but prefer a 44 for extra length in the body and across the shoulders. It is a very comfortable jacket.

eggleman

One of the Regulars
Hi Andrew
love the hide and the detail ..
is it just me , or are the arms more tapered than other A2's
as the sleeves look narrower than most at the wrist ?
cheers
Steve

thor

Call Me a Cab
Great looking jacket Andrew! The slight taper to the sleeve is one detail I like in an A-2. I've seen photos of (and owned) A-2's from premier manufacturers where the sleeve end had very little taper and looked way too wide where the elastic cuff joined the lower end of the sleeve.
You've got a real winner there. Wear it in good health :)

Stand By

One Too Many
Wow! I love it! Just when I'd said last week that I'd not go for another ELC A2 …!!! Never say never, as they say.
That's gorgeous. Love those hues … and it just looks so right to me. ELC look to have nailed it perfectly.

Thanks for the comprehensive review and posting! Very much appreciated.

Edward

Bartender
Thanks Brett. I can wear a size 42 depending on the cut, but prefer a 44 for extra length in the body and across the shoulders. It is a very comfortable jacket.

Nice jacket, Andrew. It's nice to see an Eastman crop up here; seems to have been a long time since somebody posted a new one. Do you find you're a 42 in the (usually later?) fuller-cut contracts, and a 44 in the neater ones? That's where I seem to be with A2s (or likely 46 and 44 in wartime sizes).

HPA Rep

Vendor
Superb A-2 (that suits you well), and great review and photos. Thanks for the observations and the effort.

I noticed that the older Eastman Werber A-2s of this contract were distinctly more caramel in color, largely due to the fact these were semi-aniline dyed, thus allowing greater control/consistency of color, while the change to Vintage Warhorse with its near-naked finish has yielded some hides that are very caramel in color and others more of a lighter russet brown with the distinctive reddish tones found in russet. Also, this Vintage Warhorse is shared with the Rough Wear 1401-P and re-vamped Cable Raincoat A-2s and the overall finish of the leather used among these three A-2 styles can be either more mottled or more opaque, which Gary Eastman says just varies as each batch arrives from the tannery.

How would you characterize your finish? More mottled? More caramel or more light russet brown?

We have Werber 1729 and Rough Wear 1401-P A-2s in stock that fall into both categories of finishes. I'll post some photos of the mottled finishes and the differences of colors between caramel and light russet brown so you can see what I'm talking about, or so I hope.

Werber-A2-side.jpg Werber-A2-back.jpg _DSC0015_wo.jpg _DSC0004_wo.jpg _DSC0003_wo.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran