Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

End of the ice age

The Bingstress

Familiar Face
Wow, that article actually scares me a little. Mildly apocalyptic, what with glaciers melting and waters rising. Time to head inland!

To answer your question, I'm not sure whether the current warming trend is the result of man's influence on the environment or merely natural phenomena, but it's definitely gettin' hotter. I was speaking with an elderly vet the other week--probably in his 70s or 80s--and he was saying that when he was younger back in the '30s and '40s, it used to snow really hard in Dallas in the winter. Now it's considered a fluke if it drops below the freezing mark at all. I know it barely snows anymore in northern Germany, too, in the town where my parents live. I sure hope it doesn't keep warming up, because it's just not as fun to make sand angels.

Hugs & blessings,
The Bingstress

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
Yet, oddly, and many others can attest to this I am sure, August was strikingly cool this year. In fact, what happened to summer in the Midwest? Many a pool did not get their full use. I know my in-laws' for one. We attended a couple parties at the public pool and were almost cold sitting out (just our 7 year-old swam - no way for us). Just a very few hot days, barely worth noting.

I'm with the cyclical weather phenom and don't subscribe to the man-made global warming school of thought. Acutely speaking, though, I really think this winter is going to come much sooner than "usual" and be colder than the passed few years. What was it, four years ago or so? Here in central IL it snowed I think once in December, and not a whole lot, and stayed until March it seemed. It was cold. I think we're in for it this winter. Based on nothing but a feeling, really.

Enjoy.

Cab

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
I'm with Cab about the winter coming sooner. But I have to throw in with the Bible Bunch, too.

In the Bible, in The Gospel of Luke, Christ said there would be events in the Oceans and the Sea’s that would cause men’s hearts to fail them. This is the start of it, guys and gals. And it’s only going to get worse.

I’ve lost count of how many killer Hurricanes we’ve had this year, how many have hit Florida and the region. Add to that dead zones in the Gulf and elsewhere… This is an ill wind that serves nobody.

I’ll throw in the fact that when growing up in Vermont, winter actually MEANT something, when it snowed it stayed on the ground until late march early April. Now, it snows and melts, snows and melts… IN VERMONT!

Also, toss in the Geo-political chaos. That’s related to what’s going on with the environment. I don’t want to cross the line into hocus-pocus mumbo-jumbo, but the selfish mindset of the world has an effect on the environment through our industrialization and has effected the environment on a mystical level.

Christ is coming back, and it’s all right there in the thick love-letter we all have on our desk or shelves somewhere.

The Bingstress

Familiar Face
Amen, Fisk! I didn't want to put anyone off by pointing to the Good Book. But, I can just see God shaking his head sayin', "Kids, I told you so."

Fortunately, no matter what comes, it's good to know that He's in charge.

Hugs & blessings,
The Bingstress

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
And while there perhaps are, and certainly will be signs of the times and things to come, no one knows absolutely when. So a constant state of readiness is required of us all. Not a nutso mindset, no. Indeed, I believe that the calmer and more peaceful people become (if we had any influence at all on God's thinking), the sooner the "end" would come.

So we can only try to be what we must be.

That said, I still think the winter will be early, cold and long, and pack more precipitation than we've seen for a while, at least here in IL.

Speaking of readiness, Mrs. Cab's birthday is today, so I better get back to making ready for her arrival this evening.

Cab

Big-T

Familiar Face
Now let me get this straight.

Are the oceans going to run red because of the cats and dogs living together?

They won't actually be living together at the beach or anything will they? My cats like the sand, so they will be cool, as ong as the dogs will pick up after themselves.

Not sure how much they will dig the red surf action though.

Wow, this is a deep conversation, I think I need a twinkie to relax a bit.

Craig "Big-T" Thompson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy