Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

English-style blazer

Mike K.

One Too Many
Can anyone direct me to an English-style blazer? I am looking for a basic navy blazer with side vents, rather than a single back vent, preferably in something like wool gabardine, preferably something new (no thrift store or ebay). So far the only one that I have found is a Ben Silver blazer that runs several hundred dollars. There must be something out there less expensive.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Mike K. said:
Can anyone direct me to an English-style blazer? I am looking for a basic navy blazer with side vents, rather than a single back vent, preferably in something like wool gabardine, preferably something new (no thrift store or ebay). So far the only one that I have found is a Ben Silver blazer that runs several hundred dollars. There must be something out there less expensive.

LandsEnd.com in the overstocks take your pick!

http://www.landsend.com/cd/index/fp/0,,37358,00.html

neyus

New in Town
Alan Eardley said:
Really? You see both types worn. Regimental and club blazers are usually single breasted.

Alan

Is it just city types in London? I thought there was a certain distain for them apart from the striped kind associated with rowing.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
I'm not aware that people in the UK feel strongly about the issue, unless they are old. The two types of blazer have different derivations and therefore continue to be regarded in different ways and, to a certain extent, are used for different purposes. Blazers are rarely worn 'in the city'.

The DB blazer has a naval origin (and some claim its name derives from this) and is regarded as being slightly formal. It should have brass buttons and is conventionally blue or black, although muted stripes are seen. I think that badges are not worn with the DB version, although there are exceptions.

The SB blazer has a sporting origin (e.g. rowing clubs - some others claim its name derives from this) and is worn more casually. It is also 'club' or association (e.g. ex army/airforce but not navy) wear. Sporting blazers usually carry club colours and/or badges, usually with plain buttons. Sporting honours are shown by tape sewn to the edges (the 'ribboned coat' of Sir Henry Newbolt's poem). Association blazers are usually black or blue and have badges and brass buttons.

Blazers worn as a sports jacket can have brass buttons (but not with an affiliation to which the wearer is not entitled) and no badge.

Here is a mix of the two, Cambridge undergraduates in the late 1930s. In those days gramophones wouldn't work unless at least six people watched them carefully...
ofbcambridge040612a.jpg

Of course, some people completely ignore all of this and wear what thay want to...

Alan

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Bertie's amazing human gramophone trick!!

ofbcambridge040612a.jpg

Bertie Forbes-Smythe never failed to AMAZE his fellow college chums by using his index finger as a stylus whilst the music played out of his buttocks! lol

Pip-Pip!!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
"In those days gramophones wouldn't work unless at least six people watched them carefully..."

PADDY said:
ofbcambridge040612a.jpg

Bertie Forbes-Smythe never failed to AMAZE his fellow college chums by using his index finger as a stylus whilst the music played out of his buttocks! lol

Pip-Pip!!

One of my co-workers just stuck her head around my door to ask what made me laugh so hard. Somehow, I don't think she'd understand...

Mike K.

One Too Many
Okay, perhaps I should have elaborated more.

SB blazer, basic navy, wool gabardine twill or similar material (no tweed, linen, silk, etc.), double vents

Thanks for the tips so far, but Lands End doesn't carry these and the others are too pricey. Any other suggestions?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Alan Eardley said:
The DB blazer has a naval origin (and some claim its name derives from this) and is regarded as being slightly formal. It should have brass buttons and is conventionally blue or black, although muted stripes are seen. I think that badges are not worn with the DB version, although there are exceptions.

Alan
Can anyone confirm the story that I read that the term Blazer comes from the Royal Navy in the 18th century? All ships' captains had a private "gig" or rowboat, and they provided the rowers with unique uniforms, paid for by the captain himself. HMS Blazer, I believe a frigate, had a particulary sharp ensemble of white linen trousers and double breasted navy blue jacket, with brass buttons. The ship's name was applied to the outfit. Anyway, that's the story I read.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
Can anyone confirm the story that I read that the term Blazer comes from the Royal Navy in the 18th century? All ships' captains had a private "gig" or rowboat, and they provided the rowers with unique uniforms, paid for by the captain himself. HMS Blazer, I believe a frigate, had a particulary sharp ensemble of white linen trousers and double breasted navy blue jacket, with brass buttons. The ship's name was applied to the outfit. Anyway, that's the story I read.

There are two conflicting stories about the derivation of the term. Neither can be confirmed conclusively and both are disputed. The first is as you say. The individual concerned is supposed to be Capt. Washington. The existence of such jackets would tend to be confirmed by illustrations and they certainly were used aboard HMS Blazer, although it is hard to prove that they originated there.

The second is from the brightly coloured rowing jackets of UK university boat clubs. Certainly there are some bright jackets in use today (e.g. Lady Margaret Boat Club, Cambridge), but there is something of a problem as most of the earliest documented cases of their adoption (e.g. Queen's College, Cambridge, 1828) were in light or muted colours. The term would therefore have to have been adopted somewhat later than the 'HMS' version.

I guess, no-one really knows, but I personally favour the former derivation.

Alan

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Orgetorix said:
Ben Silver has what you're looking for, but it's pricey.
Mike K. said:
So far the only one that I have found is a Ben Silver blazer that runs several hundred dollars. There must be something out there less expensive.
You haven't been paying attention! ;)

neyus

New in Town
Alan Eardley said:
Mike,

Sorry, I thought you wanted an English-style blazer?

Alan

He had budget constraints. So I think the Banana Republic is the closest thing he can get for the price. Im in Australia so I cant really recommend anything else aside from ebay/thrift finds.

neyus

New in Town
Out of interest I thought I will post some representations of blazers in the real world.

The first two pictures are school blazers.

Note the patch pockets. The left breast pocket usually features the school insignia. The right breast of the jacket which sometimes features a patch pocket usually lists various school achievements and is embroidered to the jacket.

SeniorADebaters.jpg

home2.jpg

Note the straw boater hat.

It is winter right now, so the girls are also wearing their blazers. The blazers are very similar to male students, however they are in solid collars and usually not as bold.

oss_ub_01.jpg

BoarderCaptains.jpg

These next photos are of blazers representing various Surf Life saving clubs

P1000655.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace