Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ever buy a hat because of where it's from?

MDphoto

One of the Regulars
Hi everyone!

It's been a while since I've posted in the lounge, but my love for hats has never ceased.
I was in the process of of searching through vintage hats on an auction site, when I came across one that was originally sold in my town. Even though the hat is a size too small I was thinking of getting it for the fun of it.
If the store that originally sold it was still around I'd get it just to take it up to them so they could see it, but unfortunately the store closed down in the 70s and the whole block is now a parking lot.
Anyway, I was curious to what you guys would do and if you've ever bought a hat for that reason alone.
FYI: the hat looks to be from the 50s and looks to be in pretty decent shape.

HatsEnough

Banned
Once. I bought a Silverbelly Stetson Open Road from the famous Morris Men's Shop, The Stockyard Inn, Chicago. I did so because that was, for a long time, a famous cowboy and Chicago meatpacking mogul stop for the meat trade. End of the line for all those dogies at the Chicago stockyards. Seemed like an interesting bit of history. As to the hat itself, it is in great shape... except for the sweatband which the finish is flaking. But the imprint is still clear and there. I also had a few Open Roads already (this one is a 1950s vintage), so I didn't buy it because I wanted an OR. It was just the imprint that stuck my interest and since I only paid $30 for it, it seemed like a cheap deal.

univibe88

One Too Many
Yes, I bought an early 80s Homburg at a vintage store in Boston because the band was stamped with "Meyer the Hatter" from New Orleans.

fmw

One Too Many
I haven't but I might, if the opportunity presents itself. When I was a youngster in Portland, Oregon, my father used to take me to a men's store called Rosenblatt's to get outfitted. I remember it dimly but it was nice men's store. I would buy a hat from Rosenblatt's if I happened to encounter one.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I favor the few Chicago Manufacturers and stores that are local--but the hat would have to be of sufficient interest.

I'm sure I have a hat from Rosenblatt's--just can't remember which one[huh]

MDphoto

One of the Regulars
Out of curiosity, I googled the name of the store "The Man Store" (where the hat was originally sold) here in Asheville, NC and found a pic from 1964. Located on the right.
patton_1964.jpg

I also found a pic from 1927, but the image is huge and didn't look right in the thread.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Not yet, but I'm still kicking myself for not having the money many years ago to bid on a Derby that was sold in Cripple Creek, Colorado. I wish I could have got that one.

Brad

Trotsky

A-List Customer
Hell yes, if it's from NW Ohio, I'll pick it up in a heartbeat. Origin is important. My favorite is a BR Baker from Toledo. I do the same with ties.

MDphoto

One of the Regulars
I REALLY want to get the hat, but I'm worried it won't fit. It's 7 1/8 & I'm a 7 1/4. I normally wouldn't be worried about it, but I know my luck and it's telling me the hat has done some shrinking. Of course I could just put it up like a trophy, but it's a hat and it should be worn!

J.B.

Practically Family
I REALLY want to get the hat, but I'm worried it won't fit...I know my luck and it's telling me the hat has done some shrinking...

I have Sooooo been there! :D

Every single time I open a new eBay hat arrival and eagerly prepare to place that baby on my head -- I vividly remember the great old FL post in January, 2007 from photobyalan...

Here's my newest lid, courtesy of eBay...

There's only one...

slight...

problem...

knox4.jpg

:D :D :D

Ooof, too bad! Ya really got arbuckled on that one, photobyalan!!

arbuckle4bv.jpg

heh. ...but I'm laughin' with you, buddy!...
emogrinyespe7.gif
I just got skrooed on one via eBay, too! So help me Hannah -- this hat was so small that it wouldn't even fit an organ grinder's munkee...

monkeystrawxb7.jpg

Regards! :)

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Many years ago, during my first trip to Edinburgh I went into a hat shop. The sales lady was drop dead gorgeous: red hair, porcelain skin, green eyes, lovely lips/smile and with an accent to die for (As a naive American college kid, she embodied all one's fantasies for an beautiful Scottish woman you might have in some stereotypical film with kilt clad warriors and claymores). While I was looking through the hats and trying some on she put one on my head, adjusted it with a wonderful smile, and said something about how it was perfect for me and fit well. I blubbered something like "I'll take it." Needless to say with was a very flashy Scottish bonnet, in green velvet, with a tartan trim, and with a flamboyant feathered crest... Man I looked silly in it... Oh well, did I mention she was gorgeous?

MDphoto

One of the Regulars
I have Sooooo been there! :D

Every single time I open a new eBay hat arrival and eagerly prepare to place that baby on my head -- I vividly remember the great old FL post in January, 2007 from photobyalan...

:D :D :D

Regards! :)

Oh did I LOL!

I REALLY want to get the hat, but I'm worried it won't fit. It's 7 1/8 & I'm a 7 1/4. I normally wouldn't be worried about it, but I know my luck and it's telling me the hat has done some shrinking. Of course I could just put it up like a trophy, but it's a hat and it should be worn!

If you need to stretch it a tad you could try a Hat-Jack.

Many years ago, during my first trip to Edinburgh I went into a hat shop. The sales lady was drop dead gorgeous: red hair, porcelain skin, green eyes, lovely lips/smile and with an accent to die for (As a naive American college kid, she embodied all one's fantasies for an beautiful Scottish woman you might have in some stereotypical film with kilt clad warriors and claymores). While I was looking through the hats and trying some on she put one on my head, adjusted it with a wonderful smile, and said something about how it was perfect for me and fit well. I blubbered something like "I'll take it." Needless to say with was a very flashy Scottish bonnet, in green velvet, with a tartan trim, and with a flamboyant feathered crest... Man I looked silly in it... Oh well, did I mention she was gorgeous?

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do, man! I'm sure you look quite debonair in it. I'm surprised she didn't have you buy a kilt as well!:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21