Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Everyday Women of the Golden Era

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
From the Library of Congress:
8b02911r.jpg

8b19355r.jpg

8b25555r.jpg

8b24026r.jpg

8d42621r.jpg

8a05214r.jpg

I apologize for filling up the thread, there are just so many great pictures!

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
What a great thread!
I found this at Square America:

st3.jpg

Seems there was a time when you could hire a photographer to photograph you on the street so that you could see yourself in motion or "as others see you." Many more photographs of this nature can be found here.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Great shots everyone -- keep 'em coming. There's some great resources on line, and hopefully we can get as many of them as possible in this thread.

Here's another batch from Life:

shopping1.jpg

Grocery shopping, 1942

shopping2.jpg

More grocery shopping, 1942

typing.jpg

Business school, 1945

break.jpg

War workers on break, 1943

families.jpg

Mothers and kids, 1940

waves.jpg

WAVES officers, 1944

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Lizzie please tap a toe if this isn't appropriate - or appropriate from a bifurcated member - but here goes.

20851a.preview.jpg

Swimming class, Marjorie Webster School of Physical Education, Washington, D.C., 1930.
From shorpy.com. Click to enlarge.

Note how the faces are all in focus, but the rest of each swimmer is discreetly out of focus. The old bellows view cameras could be manipulated to focus down a receding plane. The rest was just careful attention to focal depth (it helps that they're all leaning forward).

LizzieMaine

Bartender
File Not Found on that Shorpy shot -- corrected the link and now it works.

Audrey -- I can get the LOC shots to work on my desktop computer (Safari) but not on my laptop (Netscape), so for the folks having problems, maybe try another browser?

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
File Not Found on that Shorpy shot -- tried to correct the link and couldn't get it to work!

Audrey -- I can get the LOC shots to work on my desktop computer (Safari) but not on my laptop (Netscape), so for the folks having problems, maybe try another browser?
Interesting because I use Safari. I wonder if there's some way to prevent the problem though.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Very strange -- it's now not working for me on my work machine, which uses IE. I went into the original post and tried pasting the links directly into my browser, and that only brought up a "File Not Found" notice, as if the server was being blocked.

Any computer-knowledgable folks have any theories on this? They're great pics!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Fletch -- now it's gone from here, too. Very odd. Maybe you should just post the link in URL form -- it's a great shot.

Audrey -- the Flickr shots come thru fine for me. Very nice!!

Technical difficulties or no, keep em coming, folks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21