Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Everyday Women of the Golden Era

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
So sweet!
3484423356_06d2513136_o.jpg

This thread is ace! I can see all the pics now, except for Fletch's and swampcrone's pic.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I was being lazy and hotlinked her from my blogger :eek:

Here she is done properly:

c.jpg

How a waitress should look, 1947

c2.jpg

How a waitress should NOT look!

c3.jpg

Another for good measure, 1948

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Inky said:
My mother and grandmother, about 1948.
3484015932_e26ca2a405.jpg

(

The first thing I always notice is how poised the ladies back in the day were in their photos - sitting straight and elegantly. I'd say you would be hard pressed to see anything similar these days on many people's Facebook. My Mum always says that women years ago had a lovely innocence about them and I know what she means....

JennyLou

Practically Family
I love this thread. Oh, I just wished I had pictures of the women in my family from back then. Unfortunately I can't find any and my grandmother said she doesn't have any. I was so sad when she told me. But I love how the ladies here have them to share. Thank you.

Lillemor

One Too Many
Thank you for starting this thread. I've always been fascinated with everyday-people and their appearance. Very rarely can I identify with, find much if any inspiration or feel any fascination with celebrities be they current or golden era.

I wish I had photos to scan too but most photos have been turned into slides or thrown away. Don't get me started on throwing away old photos!:mad:

JennyLou

Practically Family
Lillemor said:
Thank you for starting this thread. I respect that some people's fascination with golden era styling came through their fascination with the celebrities of the time but I'm not interested in celebrities for their styles of current or the past. This is far more fascinating to me; How the every-day women looked and lived and kept their looks. I don't see myself as a glamorous type. It's nothing I can identify with and I can rarely see the inspiration appeal in glamour shots. I don't disrespect these people. I'm just not "infatuated" with celebrity and glamour in that way.

I wish I had photos to scan too but most photos have been turned into slides or thrown away. Don't get me started on throwing away old photos!:mad:

I feel the same way you do. I'm a history major so of course I have to study historical figures which are usually the well known people in history but my main interest is studying the average person of history. How the events of history affected the lives of everyday people. Not only the events that took place on the world stage but the events that would have occured in the private homes of everyday people. I wonder if that is more like anthropology?

Lillemor

One Too Many
Cultural anthropology? For some time I wanted to be an anthropologist. Now I'm glad I didn't go the academic route but the subject still fascinates me and I actually find that I read more now, try to understand what I read better and actually learn better than I did in college.:eek:fftopic:

Yesterday on History channel or was it NG? Anyway, they were showing a documentary on the liberation of Paris and I'm embarrassed to admit that I can't tell you much about the historical facts of that liberation but I paid keen attention to what women, of what age wore and if there was anything to give away their social standing; how did that affect what they wore and did particularly with their hair - or didn't do which I would've expected because I've watched too many Hollywood films and because it was in Paris. Because it was in Paris I'm also aware that the women there may not have been representative of women around France and being a rural homemaker I'm generally most interested in what rural homemakers in their 30s wore in the late 1910s-early 1960s.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
JennyLou said:
I love this thread. Oh, I just wished I had pictures of the women in my family from back then. Unfortunately I can't find any and my grandmother said she doesn't have any. I was so sad when she told me. But I love how the ladies here have them to share. Thank you.

I'm sort of in a similar boat myself, actually. My mother has most of the family photos locked away in a trunk, and she swears as long as she's alive none of us kids -- meaning me especially -- will get our hands on them. I did manage to swipe a few for myself before they got locked away, though, and if I can get my scanner to work I hope to post more.

Meantime, thanks to everyone who's been posting so far. We're assembling a very useful resource here!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21