Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Facebook anybody?

Foofoogal

Banned

anon`

One Too Many
Foofoogal said:
http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2010/02/25/your-facebook-page-is-in-googles-real-time-results-now

ok, would someone that understands legalese or tech geek stuff let me know if I promote on my business fan page on Facebook will I be charged $10000.00?
Pretty please...with sugar on top.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sandy...-and-Collectibles/349097393697?v=wall&ref=sgm

I swear I put a link to my fan page on my blog and they took it off. Was this why? :eusa_doh:
It doesn't look like it. The opening paragraph of Facebook's Promotion Guidelines reads as follows:

Facebook Promotion Guidelines said:
These Promotions Guidelines govern the publicizing or administering of any sweepstakes, contest, competition or other similar offering (each, a "promotion") on Facebook by you. For clarity, a "sweepstakes" is a promotion that includes a prize and a winner selected on the basis of chance. A "contest" or "competition" is a promotion that includes a prize and a winner determined on the basis of skill (i.e., through judging based on specific criteria). Publicizing a promotion on Facebook means promoting, advertising or referencing a promotion in any way on Facebook or using any part of the Facebook Platform. This may include, for example, in Facebook advertising inventory, on a Facebook Page, or through a status update. Administering a promotion on Facebook means operating any element of the promotion on Facebook or using any part of the Facebook Platform. This may include, for example, collecting submissions or entries, conducting the drawing, judging winning entries, or notifying winners. By publicizing or administering the promotion in any way on Facebook or using any part of the Facebook Platform, you agree to these Promotions Guidelines.
Emphasis mine. Advertising alone does not appear to fall under this definition of promotion and should be fine, if all that you're doing posting is "Hey, come see my store!" or something of that ilk. If instead it were "Come see my store and enter to win great prizes!" then Facebook might demand a nice chunk of advertising cash.

Foofoogal

Banned
I swear I put a link to my fan page on my blog and they took it off. Was this why?
-----
oh, I didn't do it right the first time. I have to put the badge and instead I tried to do a link. That was why. :eusa_doh:

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I deactivated my Facebook account last night. I was tired of being bombarded by my friends' constant updates about the minutae of their lives. (By "friends," I mean relative I'm not in contact with because we have nothing in common.) Thank you, cousin, but the status of your goats doesn't satisfy a curiosity in me. Sorry, little brother, but your angst-filled messages about having been adopted and raised by a nice family have fallen on unsympathetic ears. Don't you have a medical practice to attend to?

What I would like to know is when the dance hall is going to be closed for re-sanding and when the workshops will be and who's playing. But they never convey these messages on Facebook.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm on facebook for a week now and its starting to drive me nuts.

They told me it would be like "myspace for grown ups" but it's worse

missjo

Practically Family
Well that is what the "hide" button is for.
I have over 350 contacts (I refuse to call them friends"), I reckon 99% of them has been hidden from my view.
I only see the updates from people I care about.
And I have blocked all other applications, games, etc.
Facebook is a nice quiet place.

Foofoogal

Banned
It is a bit overwhelming. The hide button does come in handy. I think many hide me as I use it alot for my business page and so whenever I do this it comes into the main wall.

I saw a Facebook Dangers bit on the Morning news the other day. They stated anytime Facebook does an overhaul you need to go back and set your privacy setting as they default back to Facebook original settings. They also said which I have been preaching to anyone that will listen that the applications like "Farm you know what" are 3rd. party applications and will leave you open to bad stuff.

Amazing what people will put out there. Not only that but say you put the word
Drunk in your private dealings. There are websites they say that show every word of it for everyone. Fine if you don't care but many companies are looking for employees on these sites and who you run with or do may come back and bite you. This stuff also stays cached forever.
I still like Twitter better. I just think people should know what is up with a place better than fine print.

Like family photos. Hide them so only Friends can see them. Not everyone.

Foofoogal

Banned
that is funny Dr.Greg. When I first came on a guy wanted to be my friend. I stated do I know you. Then he proceeded to let me know he was the best friend of one of my first boyfriends about 37 years ago. Then stated his friend broke up with his first girlfriend to go with me and then I broke his heart.
:eusa_doh:
lol oops...I was amazed and still am as how some have never moved past high school. Helloo......

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I hope most of you are aware that you give all copyrights of your pictures and stuff to facebook when uploading them there? The same with most other free social networking platforms.

I think people ignore it, because it is for free and they can't imagine any misuse. But for professional photographers or designers it may be a bit different...

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Foofoogal said:
It is a bit overwhelming. The hide button does come in handy.

Overwhelming, and mostly inconsequential babbling. It wasn't even chit-chat--just a lot of "A likes B's status" and "B commented" and "Helped my neighbor plow his field today!" I never thought of running to the computer to announce that I'd shoveled my neighbor's sidewalk. Nor did I ever imagine that others were eagerly awaiting my social, political and religious commentary. Frankly, I'll go to the library and look up the greats if I'm interested in reading views on those subjects.

What I hated was the childish idea that every acquaintance will be as interested in you as your mother is.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I'm not on it and won't be going to. I just don't like social networking and can't be bothered with it. I belong to a number of fora and if I want to communicate with friends and family, send photos, etc I do it through email.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR