Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fake leather flight jacket?

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Today I was in a store, and noticed what appeared to be a used military flight jacket. There was a tag inside of the jacket, that tag said a job number, something to do with a A number to designate the model of the Jacket (sorry I am not more specific) but all in all, it had the appearance of a real deal jacket, it was far from new. It said U.S. Navy Issue on the inside as well.

Now upon feeling this jacket, it was very very thick, but it felt like it was not real leather. I did not see any indication on any tags as to what the jacket was made of! I did pick it up and it had a very heavy feel to it and the collar was real fur, not fake. The jacket is being held for me until I go back to this store tomorrow, as it is a resale shop. Did the U.S. Navy ever make anything like this? I was in the service and would tend to think not, but wanted to ask in case anyone had information about it. The zipper was a very heavy zipper, with a metal hoop type copper wire looped through the zipper pull, and the entire zipper itself was copper. Is this real or a old junkie jacket?

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Could be a G1 with a contract starting with "A". Modern most likely. USN perforated on the zip wind flap.
It did have some small holes punched that said USN on the inside flap that would be closed up if zipped, and so I think now it is at least real? Thanks! The price was real easy on the wallet for sure, and even though it is 4 sizes too big, I will be happy to buy it, it is a size 44 and I wear a size 40!

Some leather may appear to be plasticy I suppose. A G1 might look that way as its thinner goat usually.
As for "real" well, not saying that. There's tons of G1's made. Some better or more legit than others. If you like it, get it. That's what matters.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Thanks, the reason I thought it may be worth buying and not sure about the "leather" issues, the fur is real around the collar, I am thinking maybe rabbit but not sure, it is very smooth to the touch and you can feel the pelt of the skin under the fur where it is attached, I have a real fur coat, and that was not hard for me to figure out. This jacket is very very stiff. It is not really showing any wear on the typical places but you can see some wear issues in some spots nothing major or bad with it.

Thank you again, I felt someone could tell me what I do not know.

Peacoat

Bartender
In the future, an exact description of the wording on the label will tell us what we need to know as to the legitimacy of the jacket. I realize you probably thought about asking us after you left the store, and then wished you had paid more attention to the details of the tag. With the USN perforations on the wind flap, it sounds as if it is the real deal.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Peacoat is correct. Look for a National Stock Number (NSN) on the tag. A current GI issue G-1 or A-2 will have a NSN starting with 8415-xx-xxx-xxxx. 8415 is a stock class, designating clothing/gear. A fake can not use "NSN 8415-xx-xxx-xxxx" they can say "stock number", or FSN, or something like NSN but they can not use NSN. I do not know when they started using the NSN 8415 system but I imagine it was in the late 60s or early 70s.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Peacoat is correct. Look for a National Stock Number (NSN) on the tag. A current GI issue G-1 or A-2 will have a NSN starting with 8415-xx-xxx-xxxx. 8415 is a stock class, designating clothing/gear. A fake can not use "NSN 8415-xx-xxx-xxxx" they can say "stock number", or FSN, or something like NSN but they can not use NSN. I do not know when they started using the NSN 8415 system but I imagine it was in the late 60s or early 70s.

I realized that as stated I wished to have taken a picture of the tag with my cell phone, but was so interested in trying to figure the Jacket out! I do recall a tab loop of material that would fasten the upper area across at the top button location of the collar, had two front pockets, and was very heavy and on the stiff side, the arms of the jacket had some resistance to being "bent" up when I was inspecting the elastic at the back of the Jacket, as I wanted to see if it had any "fuzz burrs" on the bottom from wear, and there is none.

I have had P coats and nylon military issue jackets but nothing like this. The real fur on the collar has me puzzled, as it is some rather smooth and nice fur, in very nice condition, the Jacket is a very dark brown, the fur darker yet almost black. I am almost shy to say, the Jacket has a $25.00 price tag on it, I gave them half to hold it.

Thanks for the input!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
It's a G1. Whether real or a replica, that's it. For $25, you can't lose.
I just jumped on eBay, found "new" jackets just like it, however the zipper on this Jacket is more "heavy duty" looking, is wide, copper, and has some patina to it, and has a loop of copper that goes through the zipper pull. For what is looks like, it has a better "overall" look than the ones on eBay, and yes, I am heading there to pick it up in the wee hours of the morning.

Thank you everyone for your guidance. I learn something new again, from the good folks here!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Well I stopped by a shop that works on leather, told the owner about the G-1 jacket, he was telling me to get it and show it to him. I did. Paid a total of $25.00 for the jacket, plus tax! Went to show this guy at the leather shop my find, and he offered me $175.00 for it, and yeah, I sold it. It was a bit too big for me, I am a 40R and the jacket was a 44R...what a day!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Good for you - too bad you didn't take some pics of it you *******! :)
So, beers on you today???

There are a few jackets almost exactly like it on eBay, except the jacket is just one that had little use in it's time and had a real fur on the collar, and all the other goodies I had made mention of. The new owner explained, it was older than I would have thought, hardly worn thus the reason it was so stiff! The tag told the story, and yes, the heavy duty zipper, collar, etc.

Now I am keeping my eye on the resale shop, they have other vintage items there, sports coats, boots, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR