Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite dishes?

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Grimstar said:
I think my favorite "dish" comes down to a choice between Kat, Magneto, and Decodoll.... or at least their avatars. :p (exit, stage left...outrunning the flying tomatoes)

So the rest of us dishes are just chopped liver, eh? ;)

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
AtomicBlonde said:
How about everyone just come over to my house for a big pot of chicken and dumplings? We can watch old movies after. I'll have someone to cook for, and I wont have to sit and watch Casablanca for the umpteenth time by myself.

I really need a life. and/or a boyfriend... or friends that dont all move away at the end of the semester. Any takers?

I never turn down home cooking, but you need to move closer to Maine! Then you, I and Lizzie can have dinner parties. As for a boyfriend, I'm sure you will receive a flurry of PMs from the FL fellows. :D

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Marc Chevalier said:
1. Bife a lo pobre
2. Pastel de choclo
3. Ceviche
4. Charquican
5. Carbonada
6. Casuela
7. Empanadas de pino, al horno
8. Sopaipillas
9. horseflesh

Favorite fruits:

1. Custard apple
2. Prickly pear
3. Alligator pear (also known as avocado)
4. Lucuma

Note to self: never sell Marc a puppy.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Bwuahahaha!

A friend, serving in the U.S. State Dept. in Asia, called to tell me he had tried horse, and it wasn't too bad. He said something I quote often: "My Dinner Flicka."

lol

Hannigan Reilly

One of the Regulars
Marc- can you submit your first list in English, please? :D

AtomicBlonde- if I wasn't married, you'd have mail! :p

my favorite dish:
directtv.gif

LaMedicine

One Too Many
scotrace said:

A friend, serving in the U.S. State Dept. in Asia, called to tell me he had tried horse, and it wasn't too bad. He said something I quote often: "My Dinner Flicka."

lol

And horsemeat here is called "sakura", cherry blossom:eek: ....go figure[huh]
Incidentally, boar meat is called "botan", peony.....lollol lol

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
How about the opposite?

Things I Cannot Gag Down:
Lima Beans
Limburger Cheese or any of its stinky partners

Things I Will Not Eat Unless Left Without Choice:
Cucumbers
Meatloaf (anybody's recipe)
Liver & Onions

Anything else is fair game.

HistWardrobe

Vendor
the chow thread...

Act locally, EAT globally... Here's my nominees:

Savory stuff:The top 25

1. Ham, ham ham: Smithfield ham, country ham, Danish ham, honey baked ham. Just about any variation on the theme of ham. This is why I don't have a pet pig. I am a city kid and prefer not to be on a first name basis with my dinner.
2. Raw or marinated fish in most of its manifestations: sashimi, sushi, ceviche, conch or scallop ceviche, Hawai'ian lomi lomi or poke. I also like steak tartare and Kitfo, the Ethiopian version thereof. Eat it raw. Raw raw raw!
3. Gaspacho - in all its regional variations. I once did a "gaspacho tour" of Andalusia. In Cordoba, they make it with milk instead of tomatoes, and serve it iced in a glass. Good, but I prefer the tomato based kind.
4. Oysters -- My late grandfather's oyster stew, and the Scalloped Oysters recipe that's been in the Maryland side of my family for 200 years, and really good quality raw oysters, like the Chesapeake Bay oysters of my youth (now being crowded out by imported breeds) Belons, and Galway Bay Oysters (the latter best served with hot barm brack, smoked salmon and a Guinness)
5. My late grandmother's Tamale Pie and just about anything else she cooked. This was a "Golden Age" recipe, which she got when they were stationed at NAS Coronado in the early 1930s.
6. My late mom's gumbo. (We're part Cajun) & most other Cajun stuff and just about anything else she cooked.
7. Fried chicken, preferably served cold. My late great-grandmother was the champ at this. Or fried chicken gizzards, served hot with rice & gravy
8. Brunswick stew (like my own recipe best) with a spash of sherry. Most other traditional Southern dishes, including turnip or collard greens, with hot pepper vinegar, and good, homemade cornbread to sop up the pot likker.
9. Thai stir-fried chicken w/ basil or beef w/ basil
10. Satsivi (chicken in walnut sauce), Lobio (spiced beans), Khalia (beef stew), Khinkali (like Siberian pelmeni only with lamb) and just about any other Georgian food. World's #1 under-appreciated cuisine, in my book. But the Russians are the winners when it comes to mushrooms baked in sour cream.
11. Afghan food - particularly aushak (sort of like ravioli - dumplings filled with scallions, with a meat, yoghurt & mint sauce), Quabilii Pilau (rice pilaf with carrots, raisins, etc) and Kadu Bouranee (pumpkin with meat & yoghurt sauce).
12. Ethiopian food, particularly Tibs (lean beef cubes in sauce) and the aforementioned Kitfo, Doro Wat (chicken), served with Injera bread and Tej
13. Sea vegetables, esp. marinated, in a salad, and most traditional Japanese country foods, including traditionally fermented miso.
14. Most dishes involving dill: Fresh, home grown tomatoes in season with fresh dill & a splash of vinegar. Ukrainian borschch with lots of dill, my recipe for watercress, dill & new potato salad in raspberry vinegar mayonnaise
15. Chicken in interesting sauces (see Satsivi, above), also Persian chicken w/ pomegranate sauce, Mexican chicken in mole (chocolate) sauce), chicken tarragon salad like they used to have at the American Cafe in DC.
16. Traditional Virginia peanut soup, served with beaten biscuits
17. Haggis with bashed neeps and chappit tatties (have given this up since acquiring a pet sheep). Close cousin from the world of pork: "liver mush" from western North Carolina.
18. Cajun Boudin Blanc (stuffed with dirty rice), and Boudin Noir. The Boudin noir (black puddings) I got in the Loire Valley /Northern Poitou region (near Loudoun) where most Cajuns have their ancestral roots were very good and one could detect the "genealogy" of this Cajun dish.
19. Sea Turtle steak, like they used to do at the Lahaina Broiler on Maui. I think it's endangered and off the menu for now...
20. Soup Senagalese (chicken or turkey cream soup w/ curry powder)
21. A real old fashioned Chesapeake Bay crab feast - or an old fashioned Cajun crawfish boil.
22. Eggs Benedict and their poor relation, the Egg McMuffin, and their upmarket relation, Eggs Sardou a'la New Orleans.
23. Kidney stew served over grits (Christmas breakfast in my youth) or my own variation, Kidneys Bourginion served over toast as a post-dinner savoury in the English style.
24. Venison, preferably cooked with juniper berries & served with red cabbage.
25. A really really good, top quality steak, flame cooked to medium rare.

Sweet stuff: the top 10
1. Just about any form of egg custard: Creme brulee, flan, custard pie, boston cream pie donuts, egg nog.
2. Chocolate Bavarois or Charlotte Russe.
3. English "Summer pudding" (various berries and white bread, stuffed into a pudding mold and left to macerate) or English pears in red wine or port
4. Pistachio ice cream, preferably Italian, the melon ice cream we used to get in Japan in my childhood (Midori over vanilla is a good fake), Coffee ice cream
5. Breyer's vanilla ice cream with the little specks of vanilla bean in it
6. Banana anything - southern traditional banana pudding, bananas Foster, Chinese fried bananas, frozen bananas
7. Scones w/ clotted cream & homemade preserves
8. Fresh English raspberries and cream in season (they taste the best at Glyndebourne, dunno why)
9. Cinnamon toast served with fresh guava juice. Our mid-morning snack at my elementary school in Hawaii.
10. M&Ms -- chocolate in a pill-like form, so it MUST be therapeutic!

I know there's stuff I'll think of later. Dang, I'm making myself hungry. Bottom line -- in my book, traditional foodways are A Good Thing, regardless of the part of the world. Fish and game are a A Good Thing. Biodiversity, heirloom produce and heirloom breeds of livestock are A Good Thing.

Personally, I'd rather ride a cow than eat a horse. The latter seems as abhorrent as "wok-ing my dog". They may be tasty, but I've got a cultural hang-up about it.

Will try just about anything else, at least once other than fugu / blowfish (too risky!) and am broadly omniverous. Have eaten rattlesnake, alligator, frog legs, possum (yuk, too greasy), most types of game. I don't like the taste of rabbit meat, and the way it looks on the bone creeps me out because I feel like I'm eating a kittycat.

Other than that, the only stuff I don't like is cole slaw (unless it's a condiment on a barbecue sandwich, when I love it), egg salad, Buffalo wings (too vinegary, and I don't like ranch dressing), thousand island dressing and Nesselrode icing. On the latter two, the little bits of relish and of glazed fruit make me gag. I don't like food that feels like it's got foreign bodies in it.

Have only got one food allergy, but it's a serious one -- I nearly had to have an emergency tracheotomy in an Indonesian restaurant, as it turns out I'm violently allergic to Kimiri Nuts (also known as Candlenuts or Kukui).

magneto

Practically Family
HistWardrobe said:
Act locally, EAT globally... Here's my nominees:
{{IMPRESSIVE list snipped}}
Have only got one food allergy, but it's a serious one -- I nearly had to have an emergency tracheotomy in an Indonesian restaurant, as it turns out I'm violently allergic to Kimiri Nuts (also known as Candlenuts or Kukui).

Oh my gosh that sounds terrifying!
*Toast with peanut butter and Marmite (my contribution toward Anglo-American relations)
*Vegetable Chow Mein or Chop Suey, but only in a Chinese restaurant with original 1930s tilework and decoration and a Neon "Chow Mein" or "Chop Suey" sign outside
*Rueben sandwiches, just not in California.
"The Allen's" brand Collard Greens with hot sauce and a side of French fries.
Hmm, all these foods seem to have geographical restrictions. At home I end up eating a lot of soft-boiled eggs.

KAT

A-List Customer
Grimstar said:
I think my favorite "dish" comes down to a choice between Kat, Magneto, and Decodoll.... or at least their avatars. :p (exit, stage left...outrunning the flying tomatoes)

is there another Kat on this thing here?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
scotrace said:
Things I Cannot Gag Down:
Lima Beans
Limburger Cheese or any of its stinky partners

Things I Will Not Eat Unless Left Without Choice:
Cucumbers
Meatloaf (anybody's recipe)
Liver & Onions

Anything else is fair game.
What is limburger cheese? For me it's brussel sprouts, tofu and anything that isn't a normal body part of an edible animal (like no intestines, liver, ect. )

Mrs. MK

New in Town
Good Eats

Here are some of my favorites. Keep in mind I am gluten intolerant, and allergic to beef, milk, cow's cheese and eggs (somewhat).

1) Rack of lamb, so tender it melts off the bone, with carrots, onions and potatoes.

2) Aged goat cheese, served with crispy rice crackers.

3) Turkey meatloaf (my mom's recipe)

4) Brussels Sprouts, sauteed with olive oil and garlic. For that matter, anything sauted with garlic and olive oil (and lots of salt). Broccoli, mushrooms, zucchini - done as above.

5) Fresh home grown tomatoes, warm from the sun, with salt.

6) Baby green salad, incredibly fresh, with candied pecans, dried pears or cranberries and a warm balsamic vinegar dressing.

7) BBQ Babyback ribs (pork) smothered in barbecue sauce.

8) Apple pie (made with Washington apples)

9) Soy ice cream (one brand made in Eugene Oregon is So Delicious), chocolate flavor smothered with peanut butter and chocolate sauce.

10) Chocolate mousse cake.

11) Chocolate chip cookies, the big ones, with walnuts, or white chocolate macadamia nut. I have yet to figure out how to make these with no flour, eggs or sugar. That is one of my life's quests.

12) White china, classic and plain - it wears well and goes with any kind of food. After many years of experience with dishes I won't get any more stonewear, as I cannot get it to keep looking nice year after year.

13) MK. (And George Clooney, although he doesn't even come close).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy