Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Federation crown, can it be lowered?

vespasian

One of the Regulars
Im considering getting a federation as I need an everyday hat, but I'm a bit concerned about ordering it without knowing how it will look. The brim isnt a problem as Im confident to cut, but the crown worries me most. If it is too high, can I lower it in any way? I checked the crown height to be unbashed 6in. The fedora(trilby here) I wear is 4.5in which is the max crown height for my face. Is it possible to bash to federation crown to 4.5in max.???

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
If you don't take too much off the brim, the overall proportion will not be TOO crown heavy. Take too much from the brim and the crown will APPEAR taller.

You could put a decent centre crease in it- as far as you can without adding too much front taper and side reverse-taper...;)

B
T

Raindog

One of the Regulars
Are you going after the 'Raiders' look Vespasian? If so then I wouldn't cut it around at all, as the tall crown is the key to the look.
If you want a fed just for a fedora maybe another model would suit better in the same colour? (if there IS another Akubra fedora of that shade). Just a thought from someone who hasn't got a Fed but is thinking about it :)
It's amazing though how you'll get used to any hat, given a few days wearing it. It'll probably start to look right no matter how high or low it is.

Jeff.

vespasian

One of the Regulars
Yes, going for the indie look but with a modern slant as I dont mine people thinking, that hat looks a bit indiana jones, but I do mine my head looking like it continues for half a foot into the top of my hat :rolleyes:
I like the hat, and love the price though it will take me a month or two to save up some cash for it, but dont want to be stuck with a hat that looks too tall on my head. If I can get the crown between 4 and 5 in after bashing then Ill be quite happy.

Feraud

Bartender
4.5 might be pushing it. My Fed Deluxe is 5 inches. Does the 1/2 inch really matter?
If you are going to cut the brim and want a shorter crown, should you go for the Federation?
I see a lot of hats at auction with shorter brim/crowns.

indyjim

Familiar Face
Why not consider the "Fedora" from HatsDirect. It already has the smaller brim
so I am sure the crown is lower as well. Comes open crown so you can bash it to your liking.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
If you're worried how a Fed will look when bashed take a look at PrarieJones' threads on bashing a Fed over at COW. He has a great wide range of pictures of him wearing Feds and they look great. Check out the pictures he has here:
http://www.indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?t=13371&highlight=
This was just one thread on the Fed, but there are dozens dedicated to bashing a Fed if you look a little bit.
Hope this helps. Have a great New Year!

Cheers!

Dan

vespasian

One of the Regulars
I like the federation style and the colour, by the way there are a couple of choices with the colour, which one is more indy? Mid brown or Tawny Fawn?

So it would be the federation, not the deluxe. So considering the simple federation, does anyone know if the crown can go to 4.5? Also I am a size 7 uk which is a 57cm. Should I go for a 58 as I generally find hats shrink a bit with weather and steaming to shape.

Feraud

Bartender
vespasian said:
I like the federation style and the colour, by the way there are a couple of choices with the colour, which one is more indy? Mid brown or Tawny Fawn?

So it would be the federation, not the deluxe. So considering the simple federation, does anyone know if the crown can go to 4.5? Also I am a size 7 uk which is a 57cm. Should I go for a 58 as I generally find hats shrink a bit with weather and steaming to shape.
I believe it is the mid-brown color you are looking for. I have heard the regular Fed can potentially lose it's color and end up looking "green-ish"...
I have had my Deluxe over a year and the color is excellent!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
When done with the Indy bash you should get a crown height of anywhere from 4 1/4" to 5 1/2" depending on how deeply you go with the center crease.
If you go with this guy's instructions on cutting the brim and bashing the crown you shouldn't have any problems with the crown height or the proportions.
http://www.whyaxis.net/indy/hatshaping/hatshaping.html
This should help since he is shaping a Fed Deluxe.

Cheers!

Dan

vespasian

One of the Regulars
I checked the instructions and looked at the general results, I reckon its worth the risk. I will definately get one, just got to work out how to slide it through the bank account without the "not another (fill in your own adjective) hat" comment from my wife and the month in pergatory. Now for the million dollar question, once I have said hat with an indy bash what do I wear it with that will a) look cool, b) not look like I want to be Indiana Jones. Love the hat, dont think the whole look will get me much street cred.

So over to you folks, what looks cool with an indy fedora?

Raindog

One of the Regulars
EVERYTHING!

Suits, long overcoats, short jackets, even a T shirt and jeans, I think it all looks good.
To avoid the Indy comments just avoid wearing the bag and leather jacket. Having said that, whatever you do someone will compare you to Indy at some point. Just present them with a Quip:) :)

Jeff.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Have a Fed

You shouldn't have much trouble with the crown on the fed, unless you have a really tall head. I bashed a c-crown in mine that's exactly 4.5 in front. The highest point is almost 5 inches, but I could probably get it lower without a problem.

The mid-brown is the closest to the Indy... Tawny Fawn is a tan color. As for size, DO NOT order a larger size in a Federation.

As for getting comments about looking like Indy, I get those wearing any form of fedora-like hat, so just shug that off.

Good Luck

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I have my Camptown with an Indy bash and I wear mine with a Wested leather jacket. I never get a second glance. I think in the area I live in most folks see it as a cowboy hat and those are quite common out here. Even in the more metropolitan areas nobody seems to be phased by my choice of hats. Every so often I get the kind & genuine remark of nice hat but that's about it. Heck, I wore it to Disneyland & not even a sideways glance. So wear yours in good health & confidence.
Oh, and we would love to see the pictures once you get & shape it.

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart