Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feel Good Jacket Story

Sheepdog149

Practically Family
A while back, I bought a heavy dark chocolate cowhide bomber jacket at Wilson Leather in the mall. It looked very similar to Schott's 184SM jacket. Later, I decided that it fit me too big, so it remained hung up in the closet -- brand new and unworn. Recently, on an unusually cold night, I encountered a homeless man during my patrol shift. He was wearing a thin dark blue hoodie, which I could tell wasn't doing a good job at keeping him warm. I struck up a conversation with him, offering to bring him a jacket that I wasn't using. The next night, I met him as promised, giving him the leather bomber jacket. It was a perfect fit! He couldn't believe it. He was beside himself, telling me how beautiful the jacket was, and how appreciative he was. He told me that it was the best gift he had ever gotten. I drove off feeling happy that the jacket would keep him nice and warm.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
That's great. I'm finding the simple joys in life, such as generosity are what it's really about. You still need a jacket or two though. :)

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You're a true gentleman & an all round great guy. As I heard a Christmas carol state the other day, "He who now shall bless the poor, shall himself find blessing. "

Sheepdog149

Practically Family
It would've been hard to get "fit pics", since it was nighttime. Plus, I met him on a darkened dead end street, where he sleeps in a vacant field. He waited at a gas station across the street, so he wouldn't miss me coming into the area. When I pulled into the dead end street, I flipped my emergency lights on/off, and hit my siren, to let him know that I was there. He ran over excitedly, telling me that he had hoped/prayed that I would show, keeping my word. Especially, since it was getting cold outside. Well, I'm glad things worked out, and I agree guys -- it's all about helping out our fellow man. I think he needed that jacket more than me.

Last edited:

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
That's great work. I really love those stories. We can get tied up In all this stuff and lose perspective for sure...

Sheepdog149

Practically Family
seb Lucas -- No, I'm just sharing a good story. Maybe, it'll inspire others to spread kindness.

"I shall pass this way but once; any good that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any
human being; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way
again."
-- Etienne de Grellet

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I hear you Sheep but it all sounds a bit romantic and lofty to me, maybe that's a cultural difference. If you're going to quote don't forget Matthew 6.1. “Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them." On the other hand if you can make others be more tolerant and generous - and get them to take up dedicated and ongoing philanthropy, then cheers.

Last edited:

Big J

Call Me a Cab
That's a great story. Well done Sheepdog.
My parents always used to tell me that anything could happen, and any of us could be unlucky enough to become homeless tomorrow. People shouldn't take things for granted, I guess.
Anyway, I'm guessing you're a cop? Cops are taking a beating back home at the moment on social media, and the press, so it's nice to see a story that goes against the trend for cop bashing.
I'll wish you and your family a Merry Christmas.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
My jacket obsession started when a coworker (they day he was fired ironically) gave me a cheapo A-2 out of the blue. He said "Nick, this is totally you. I had to get it."

It was a nice gesture that I'll never forget. Life is the best when you give a little. This year has been exceptionally hard for the family. I'm out from a jacket purchase for at least another nine months to a year. As hard as it is, falling into lust over the jackets posted here (and boots), I've conditioned myself to accept joy in simple, non material things just the same. It's nice to get away from materialism once in a while. I don't know how much longer I can do it though!

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Sheepdog! In these cynical times I need all the "do right" stories I can get. And if your story inspires even one more person to do the same..... then it's a "double bonus" play for all of us. Thanks for sharing.

Worf

schitzo

Suspended
I can totally hear Seb's point - and agree that doing it and telling nobody is the best way. But doing it and then telling others is still a long way better than thinking about it and not doing it. So fair play to you for paying it forward Sheepdog. If only every leather jacket could find a happy ending like this the world would be a better place!

Stand By

One Too Many
I'm sure lots of people do acts like that every day.

Sorry, but I couldn't agree less. Most folk don't have any time for the homeless. Some of the vast majority of regular people may think good thoughts, but in practice they turn a blind eye - or drop a few coins to salve their conscience.
To think of handing over a perfectly good jacket to someone in need - and then to return and do it … that's something else entirely.
Bravo, Sheepdog.

And if I may say so, I think it a little churlish to question Sheepdog's charitable motives. Last Winter, I climbed down into a frozen river to save my dog that had fallen through the ice - and I mentioned it here solely as I was wearing my Irvin, C-3 and A-10 gloves and noted that the very cold rinse I gave my Irvin curled the wool - and the C-3 combo kept me surprisingly warm. I certainly didn't mention it to make anyone think I was special (I think any dog owner here would have done the same). Had my jacket been a regular coat, I wouldn't have mentioned it at all - and had Sheepdog's jacket been a regular Eddie Bauer or LL Bean style winter jacket, I'm sure he wouldn't have mentioned it here either, for precisely the same reason.
Good on you, Sheepdog. You are the spirit of Christmas.

frussell

One Too Many
Good man. I usually keep a few old sweatshirts or long sleeves/coats that don't fit in the back of my car, for just such occasions. Even though I live in the desert, it can get really cold here at night in the winter, with drops of 40 degrees. We have a large amount of homeless here, since it's warm most of the time, and none of them seem prepared for the winter change. I like it better than giving it to Goodwill, it's more enjoyable to see the person wear it right then, and feel the warmth on both sides. Frank

Enjoyed the OP and other stories.

I've given near every damn missed purchase to someone. Schott steer A2 type, Lee Trevor CHP, Avirex D-pocket to name a few... I've landed all those jackets super cheap and the thought of selling them for a profit never sat right with me. Person that was selling the Schott didn't even know what it was as it was one of those models without the bigass Schott tag. Got that jacket for $20 and it was near brand new. Thick as hell. Felt bad enough that I've ripped the fellow off... Gave it to this guy whom I randomly met while pulling my bike over to go for a drink. Started asking me something about the bike. He used to ride, had a few Triumphs back in the 80's but messed up his back or something, had to sell everything... Lives in a small house with no power. Really cool guy. Anyway, he never seems to take that jacket off. Superb jacket that he has infinitely more use for than anyone I know. Looking back, while I'm glad the jacket ended in the right hands, it sure as hell wasn't an act of kindness of any sort on my end - I gave him the jacket because it fit him. Gave them all away for that reason. Seemed like a logical thing to do. Would've kept it if it was good for me, I guess.

It's incredible how this angers my lady.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Enjoyed the OP and other stories.

I've given near every damn missed purchase to someone. Schott steer A2 type, Lee Trevor CHP, Avirex D-pocket to name a few... I've landed all those jackets super cheap and the thought of selling them for a profit never sat right with me. Person that was selling the Schott didn't even know what it was as it was one of those models without the bigass Schott tag. Got that jacket for $20 and it was near brand new. Thick as hell. Felt bad enough that I've ripped the fellow off... Gave it to this guy whom I randomly met while pulling my bike over to go for a drink. Started asking me something about the bike. He used to ride, had a few Triumphs back in the 80's but messed up his back or something, had to sell everything... Lives in a small house with no power. Really cool guy. Anyway, he never seems to take that jacket off. Superb jacket that he has infinitely more use for than anyone I know. Looking back, while I'm glad the jacket ended in the right hands, it sure as hell wasn't an act of kindness of any sort on my end - I gave him the jacket because it fit him. Gave them all away for that reason. Seemed like a logical thing to do. Would've kept it if it was good for me, I guess.

It's incredible how this angers my lady.

I know the feeling. I've given away some really nice jackets. Not to be generous, but rather just getting absolutely fed up with not being able to sell them! I'm strange, in that I have a major annoyance with having jackets around I don't wear. It's the eqiuivlent of nails on a chalkboard. They've gone to good hands though. I feel better giving them away for free to someone who I know will enjoy them, than taking them to the thrift store, where no one appreciates or understands them. I just really hate listing them online. It's not entirely rational.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo