Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Film Noir, any suggestions.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
It's also got a script by Lillian Hellman, photography by Gregg Tolland, and direction by William Wyler - it doesn't get any better than that! And the set is incredible...

However, I really don't think it's actually a noir...

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Benny Holiday said:
Great lists everyone. Captain, that's my favourite Bogart film. The scene where Roy tells the young would-be heisters about the stool pigeon, and taps his finger on the tommy gun's case to imitate the sound of the gun firing, is classic.

The first Bogart movie I ever saw was The Big Sleep -- immediately I took it upon myself to watch Bogey movies, as many as I could. He just had that somethingspecial that everyone knows about. I was about 18 yrsold.

Well, since then I don't really like The Big Sleep anymore -- indeed I've since avoided Lauren Bacall at all cost, not sure exactly why -- but my original travels in bogeyland were actually my original introduction to Film Noir - The Big Sleep, The Dark Passage, Key Largo, The Maltese Falcon, In a Lonely Place, etc. - and over time Bogart became my least favorite noir lead actor, except in In a Lonely Place with Gloria Graham.

But Bogey's bogey and I still love him. My 3 bogeyfavorites are of course Casablanca, The Treasure of Sierra Madre and In a Lonely Place. Casablanca because it is such an amazing movie. In a Lonely Place because it is such a great Noir (and I love Nicholas Ray) -- but The Treasure of Sierra Madre is the one movie that I love simply because Bogart is amazing. He's always a great lead role because he seeps charisma and powerful character, but in Sierra Madre he is also a spectacular actor.

And I've never seen Dead End!

I also haven't seen Dead Reckoning, which I hear is near onpar with In a Lonely Place with the BogartNoir. Anyone seen that?

Feraud

Bartender
Jack Scorpion said:
I also haven't seen Dead Reckoning, which I hear is near onpar with In a Lonely Place with the BogartNoir. Anyone seen that?
Dead Reckoning is a pretty good film. I remember it being a bit slow but I did enjoy it. Bogey engages in a personal investigation of his army buddy's death. Also stars Lisabeth Scott, a Lauren Bacall type.

Dead Reckoning is not on par with In A Lonely Place, which is an amazing movie!! I am not sure if I think it is one of Bogey's best performances, I think the combination of chemistry with Gloria Graham (who had a very interesting personal life), story, and directing makes this a very engrossing and significant film.

I suggest watching In a Lonely Place immediately! ;)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Agreed, In A Lonely Place is one of Bogart's best films!

Oh, and just so Jack isn't disappointed: Bogart's part in Dead End is important, but not large. It's more of an ensemble piece, with nice work from Joel McCrea, Sylvia Sidney, and the Dead End Kids (who eventually became the Bowery Boys). But.. the scene between Bogart's character and his mother is killer!

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
Dead Reckoning is a pretty good film. I remember it being a bit slow but I did enjoy it. Bogey engages in a personal investigation of his army buddy's death. Also stars Lisabeth Scott, a Lauren Bacall type.

Dead Reckoning is not on par with In A Lonely Place, which is an amazing movie!! I am not sure if I think it is one of Bogey's best performances, I think the combination of chemistry with Gloria Graham (who had a very interesting personal life), story, and directing makes this a very engrossing and significant film.

I suggest watching In a Lonely Place immediately! ;)

I also agree that In a Lonely Place is way better than Dead Reckoning. In Dead Reckoning Bogie kills time throwing pitches in his hotel room, and what pitches they are!! They make Gary Cooper's pitching in his hotel in Meet John Doe look dangerous by comparison. Maybe Bogie hadn't been to a game in a while... like in two decades. A bit of unintentional hilarity.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Maxwell DeMille said:
One of the best femme fatales:

Gene Tierney in "Leave Her to Heaven"

A Film Noir in beautiful technicolor!

Gene Tierney in anything is beautiful technicolor.

After seeing Where the Sidewalk Ends, oh boy -- I went straight back to the rental store and rented Laura & Night and the City.

FredDairy

Familiar Face
I just got Where the Sidewalk Ends(1950) on DVD. Laura is probably my favorite of the film noir genre and seeing that Dana Andrews and Gene Tierney are the stars of it I figured it couldn't be all that bad. I havent watched it yet.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
FredDairy said:
I just got Where the Sidewalk Ends(1950) on DVD. Laura is probably my favorite of the film noir genre and seeing that Dana Andrews and Gene Tierney are the stars of it I figured it couldn't be all that bad. I havent watched it yet.

I like Where the Sidewalk Ends a littttttlllle bit more, actually. Both are amazing, of course.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
ANYTHING with Robert Ryan in it:

Odds Against Tomorrow (1959)
Crossfire (1947)
On Dangerous Ground (1952)
House of Bamboo (1955)

and The Set Up (1949)

No one played tightly-wound losers like Robert Ryan.

To second some recommendations already made, and add some more:

Sunset Boulevard
The Big Sleep
Gun Crazy
Detour
Out of the Past
Key Largo
Dark Passage
The Postman Always Rings Twice (Garfield, Turner)
The Big Clock

I'll post more later....

Naphtali

Practically Family
There are two versions of "The Third Man" and "The Big Sleep."

See "The Third Man" with Carol Reed narrating rather than Joseph Cotten. Difference is slight but verbiage is different.

See the unreleased version of "The Big Sleep." The version we've all seen capitalizes on Bogart's relationship with Bacall. Many new scenes with THEM inserted. Many original scenes deleted. Howard Hawks' original version had a significantly more cohesive plot -- and a better one. Nowadays you can buy DVDs of this movie where both versions are available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183