Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Cal set, BIN $500 OBO:
IMG_3198.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154048575915

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Another Ralphs Pugh for Terry's Guide!!!!!!! Has a bit of a gouge in it but.......could be a good RESEARCH subject!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-40s-Ralphs-Pugh-San-Francisco-Steerhide-Top-Notch-Brown-Leather-Jacket/283981613062?hash=item421e9f8806:g:Ks4AAOSwIDZfOcOT&LH_ItemCondition=4|10

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

It'll be interesting to see where this one ends up........:)

I have the pictures for research purposes. Would be interesting to study. I do not like the "hanger hole" on the shoulder. The pictures suck as is often the case.

This looks more like a Hercules than a R-P.

Without the label I would have not thought it was a RP. Looks like a typical brown 50s Half-belt you could find with a variety of labels.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
This looks more like a Hercules than a R-P.

It sorta DOES have that look doesn't it?? I haven't seen that many RPs. I really like this style of jacket. Its
I have the pictures for research purposes. Would be interesting to study. I do not like the "hanger hole" on the shoulder. The pictures suck as is often the case.

Without the label I would have not thought it was a RP. Looks like a typical brown 50s Half-belt you could find with a variety of labels.

Agreed. That hanger hole is a deal killer of the highest order. I really like that style of jacket common as it is. Absent the hole and in a slightly larger size I'd be very interested in this RP just to add an RP to my collection. The pictures DO suck though!! The collar is all wadded/bunched up too! This looks like its an unsophisticated (as to leather jackets) seller.

Still seeing 2 RPs in 1 week or so is not super common.

Like others, I am interested in your RP Guide Terry.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

Wow! I posted this jacket back a few when it had an opening bid of $500. Now Best Offer. I thought the pullover itself was worth that. Is it a size issue or just negative on the pullover? Doesn't Cal Leather make this jacket today for a price? It is a size issue?

This pullover is listed at $800 without padding on the current Cal Leather site.

http://cal-leather.com/shop/pullover

Leather pants are listed starting at $800!

Last edited:

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Wow! I posted this jacket back a few when it had an opening bid of $500. Now Best Offer. I thought the pullover itself was worth that. Is it a size issue or just negative on the pullover? Doesn't Cal Leather make this jacket today for a price? It is a size issue?

This pullover is listed at $800 without padding on the current Cal Leather site.

http://cal-leather.com/shop/pullover

Leather pants are listed starting at $800!

Looks to be a smaller size, maybe a 36, so a limited market. Considering you get the pullover and pants still seems like a good find/deal.

Saw this and thought of you for when you finish your Sears and Ralphs Pugh projects:
IMG_3199.jpg

Speaking of Sears, I ran across a bunch of Sears and Wards catalogs yesterday at an antique shop. I saw in an old thread that you downloaded a bunch of Sears catalogs during a freeview period, but if there's anything you're missing or looking for specifically I can go back and check. I remember seeing catalogs from the 30s through the 70s.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Looks to be a smaller size, maybe a 36, so a limited market. Considering you get the pullover and pants still seems like a good find/deal.

Saw this and thought of you for when you finish your Sears and Ralphs Pugh projects:
View attachment 254519

Speaking of Sears, I ran across a bunch of Sears and Wards catalogs yesterday at an antique shop. I saw in an old thread that you downloaded a bunch of Sears catalogs during a freeview period, but if there's anything you're missing or looking for specifically I can go back and check. I remember seeing catalogs from the 30s through the 70s.

Nice catalog! I have a Mid-Western Togs catalog from the 60s. All of the Wards catalogs 30s, 40s, 50s would be of interest. I have several fine Wards jackets from these eras.

I have not seen, nor do I have access to Wards catalogs. The catalogs 1935-1944 would be of the greatest interest to me. Those were the Golden Years for catalog jackets.

Thanks for thinking of me!

RockSolid

One of the Regulars
Any idea what this is ?
Seller asking 200e
01_01953_5gwHxAHMxDCugYXfhsEf9FED.jpeg

Attachments

• 01_00eb8_AgSuP75fsiRKPjAnYguwM6S3.jpeg
    01_00eb8_AgSuP75fsiRKPjAnYguwM6S3.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 645
  • 01_01a0e_sXoKwoRduMBpyK9etSeLfRMU.jpeg
    01_01a0e_sXoKwoRduMBpyK9etSeLfRMU.jpeg
    123.3 KB · Views: 651
  • 01_02495_r5YmZEv5T8pWRWNBDrTfmd1H.jpeg
    01_02495_r5YmZEv5T8pWRWNBDrTfmd1H.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 648
Last edited:

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You gotta love Japanese marketing: The original listing had the price at $900. No bites at that price. "Soooooo.....no bites at $900 ayyyy???? Okay.......new price...... $3000.00.....that'll attract buyers for sure!!!"

That's not some exchange rate misunderstanding. Bartering for something in Japan must take like, 100 rounds of negotiation to get to something close to market rate. Interesting sales strategy.
I am not sure that is Japanese marketing because the true Japanese seller is only selling it for USD567. It is still available on Yahoo Auction Japan. As said, the ebay "seller" is some wishful thinking buying service taking advantage of people who have no access to the Japanese market doing some arbitrage trading.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
I am not sure that is Japanese marketing because the true Japanese seller is only selling it for USD567. It is still available on Yahoo Auction Japan. As said, the ebay "seller" is some wishful thinking buying service taking advantage of people who have no access to the Japanese market doing some arbitrage trading.

Ahhhhhhh....... is THAT what's going on!?!?!?!!??!!?:eek::eek: So the eBay seller is just some middle man??? SO its the Middle Man who made the jump from $900 to $3000 then............. pretty shady. Thanks for pointing that out. I will still say, whoever makes a price jump like that is engaged in wishful thinking.

We do see pretty much every jacket listed from Japan though is exorbitantly priced way too high too. Are they ALL middle men re-listing these jackets on eBay in the US????? If it was just higher due to shipping like with Aussie Sellers, I could understand that. But it always seems the Japanese listing prices are very high----like "NO ONE IS PAYING THAT" kinda high.

Obviously, sellers can ask whatever they like for what they are selling. But it doesn't mean people will pay.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ahhhhhhh....... is THAT what's going on!?!?!?!!??!!?:eek::eek: So the eBay seller is just some middle man??? SO its the Middle Man who made the jump from $900 to $3000 then............. pretty shady. Thanks for pointing that out. I will still say, whoever makes a price jump like that is engaged in wishful thinking.

We do see pretty much every jacket listed from Japan though is exorbitantly priced way too high too. Are they ALL middle men re-listing these jackets on eBay in the US????? If it was just higher due to shipping like with Aussie Sellers, I could understand that. But it always seems the Japanese listing prices are very high----like "NO ONE IS PAYING THAT" kinda high.

Obviously, sellers can ask whatever they like for what they are selling. But it doesn't mean people will pay.
I am not sure about "all" Japanese listings on ebay but I do see at least a couple of ebay sellers doing this sort of arbitrage trading or offering a buying service. They set a ridiculous price with a make offer option sometimes asking buyers to contact them before making the purchase.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
I am not sure about "all" Japanese listings on ebay but I do see at least a couple of ebay sellers doing this sort of arbitrage trading or offering a buying service. They set a ridiculous price with a make offer option sometimes asking buyers to contact them before making the purchase.

It seems that many Japanese jacket listings tend to be on the higher side cost wise on eBay. Most of the items ARE really cool though and so perhaps its just that you only see the listings for the really rare and really costly things on eBay. Perhaps more common leather jackets -- not just the super rare ones-- can be found on Yahoo Japan. I was always thinking it could be that the eBay listings are simply high priced items due to their value. Now it seems it could be that SOME or a handful of these rarer jackets are picked up by the middle man Seller types looking to capitalize???

I don't know. Just my experience is when I see a really cool true vintage jacket in the listings, and its usually photographed and presented very well, the size ends up being like a 36-38 and its usually relatively high priced. I can look at the listing and 9 times out of 10 predict before reading the location that its a Japanese listing. I never thought it could be third party sellers jacking the price up. Again, as you intimate, this is not the case with all Japanese listings.

Is this practice allowed on eBay?? It would seem that the guarantees would be hard to honor as the actual listed Seller is sort of brokering a sale. Interesting........ And I'm glad you pointed out what you have seen as far as these third parties. People should be aware of this practice. CAVEAT EMPTOR!!!!!!!!:cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner