Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Monitor, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Boyo

Boyo One Too Many

Mich486, Zoo and steve u like this.
  2. Will Zach

Will Zach One Too Many

3. Monitor

Monitor

I know this hide Avirex was using. It's sheep but it's INSANELY thick. Like LW's Horse, only mega soft.

If there was an ugliest functional leather jacket competition, this'd win.

Zoo and Boyo like this.
  4. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

tmitchell59 and marker2037 like this.
  5. Monitor

Monitor

Exact same one as mine. Literally exact version and all. Also my favorite jacket ever.

tmitchell59 and JMax like this.
  6. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

There is one on eBay that is in excellent condition, has the gray collar, and would fit me perfectly. But, they are asking $550. I know I can find one for less (like this one).

7. TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead Practically Family

Don't forget about that Montgomery Ward one as well. So nice. I'm already maxed out with black cross zips. Anybody ever find a nice brown one like these, let me know.

JMax likes this.
  8. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

9. TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

that's a good price. Was tracking a 1990 Enfield, but he wants $350 firm.

I think I'm evolving to if it's a ridiculous price, I'll consider buying, instead of chasing. There's really few jackets that are rare and then those are priced outside of what I want to pay anyway. It seems like $100 maybe $200 on the top end is max to pay for these older jackets. of course I know there's some exceptions, especially when dealing with horsehide, etc.

10. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

11. Monitor

Monitor

Mandarin and Marc mndt like this.
  12. Marc mndt

Marc mndt Call Me a Cab

13. Blackadder

Blackadder Call Me a Cab

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    JMax likes this.
  14. TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Yeah, I'm finding there's something fishy about some/most of the Japanese sellers. I think they're more like brokers. Several will list the same jacket at different price points. That's best case. Every time I ask to see pictures of a measurement, they either don't reply or they'll say "sorry, just sold it elsewhere" or "it's in the warehouse and don't have time to go get it".

Not sure if it's some sort of scam or they just playing margins. Or maybe they're seeing if someone will buy higher price, and then they'll go buy the original listing at a cheaper price and cash in the difference. And a lot of them will use the same photos for different listings. Don't get a hunky dory feeling about it. Most have positive ratings, so maybe I'm just being paranoid, but something don't seem right.

15. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 My Mail is Forwarded Here

this one is discussed on page six of the Sears MC thread.

[​IMG]

Monitor, dannyk and Mich486 like this.
  16. Mich486

Mich486 One Too Many

They are just buying stuff from yahoo Japan or other Japanese only web market places and reselling it on eBay with margins. They don’t have it in stock they are just buying it after you buy it on eBay. Of course there is a chance someone will have snagged it off Y! between the time you put in an offer and the seller has the time to complete the purchase.

Imho it’s pointless as you can much better prices using a standard proxy although eBay is a buyers paradise in terms of protection. There is no way anyway you get scammed on eBay as a buyer. Worst case you’ll end up empty handed but with all the money you had at the start.

17. Marc mndt

Marc mndt Call Me a Cab

Grailed does that better. Often times they will only accept a listing if you include a written note with your username and date in the cover photo.

18. Graemsay

Graemsay Practically Family

AeroFan_07, Claybertrand and Monitor like this.
  19. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

Thank you. Yes, that’s the one. Big markup on eBay. The seller did send me the measurements from the yahoo auction.

I’m clueless about purchasing jackets on yahoo auction, proxies, buyer protections, and all that. This jacket interests me though. Time to do some research.

20. Jin431

Jin431 One Too Many

^^ yep, hope someone can make a thread on a how to do business with yahoo jp

Marc mndt and JMax like this.