Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Claybertrand

One Too Many

Wildhorses

Practically Family
Isn't that a good old connolly HWMN ? In a medium size ?
VINTAGE AERO LEATHER CO HIGHWAYMAN JACKET SIZE 42 (UK M) | eBay
s-l1600.jpg

alish

One of the Regulars
As always, don't just read the size tag, but ask the measurements. This is an older 42, it fits smaller.

Thanks! Yes, I did read the measurements. I'm looking for 19-19.5" P2P, 16-17" shoulders - I'm skinny :). This one is 22" P2P and 19" shoulders. Thanks though Wildhorses!!

Being skinny does have it advantages though. I'm sure it helped in scoring this rare 30s HH recently. Have to figure it would have been grabbed immediately if it was 22" P2P. In reality it's too old and too rare to really wear much though; thus my drooling over the Aero! Which to me is just old enough to have that look, but still with plenty of life to it :) And amazing leather from what everyone says (I've not had the pleasure yet!).

IMG_1260.JPG
IMG_1261.JPG

Freshly conditioned (a day before these pics) with a blend of Skidmore's leather cream and petroleum jelly. Slowly rehydrating it...

Wildhorses

Practically Family
Thanks! Yes, I did read the measurements. I'm looking for 19-19.5" P2P, 16-17" shoulders - I'm skinny :). This one is 22" P2P and 19" shoulders. Thanks though Wildhorses!!

Being skinny does have it advantages though. I'm sure it helped in scoring this rare 30s HH recently. Have to figure it would have been grabbed immediately if it was 22" P2P. In reality it's too old and too rare to really wear much though; thus my drooling over the Aero! Which to me is just old enough to have that look, but still with plenty of life to it :) And amazing leather from what everyone says (I've not had the pleasure yet!).

View attachment 349404 View attachment 349405

Freshly conditioned (a day before these pics) with a blend of Skidmore's leather cream and petroleum jelly. Slowly rehydrating it...

I thought someone was looking for a connolly in medium size. You will have to find an old 38, maybe 36.

Many are looking for bigger sizes, and a lot of vintage jackets for sale are small.

This HB is nice, the sleeves/sides buckles remind me of a Top Notch jacket. Maybe Terry could identify this one.
Not an everyday wear of course for an older jacket like this.

I had to take 5 minutes, look in the mirror, deep breaths and slowly repeat “You don’t need this”. Great deal on a Californian, needs work. Depending on how you approach the liner repair (I’d send to Dena for brown nylon quilt, corduroy trim looks good) you could get out around $400 all tidied up:
Give this a coat of Urad and a diamond will emerge.
https://etsy.me/3BBAJ6s
5690AE2C-F6C6-46DC-985D-9C3C31D355F9.jpeg 439D081F-75FF-4B51-AB00-AB0305DAB17E.jpeg

Al 916

One Too Many
I thought someone was looking for a connolly in medium size. You will have to find an old 38, maybe 36.

Many are looking for bigger sizes, and a lot of vintage jackets for sale are small.

This HB is nice, the sleeves/sides buckles remind me of a Top Notch jacket. Maybe Terry could identify this one.

Yep that's me (thank you).

I have been watching this, and now chatting with the seller.

Thank you for the thought

I had to take 5 minutes, look in the mirror, deep breaths and slowly repeat “You don’t need this”. Great deal on a Californian, needs work. Depending on how you approach the liner repair (I’d send to Dena for brown nylon quilt, corduroy trim looks good) you could get out around $400 all tidied up:
Give this a coat of Urad and a diamond will emerge.
https://etsy.me/3BBAJ6s
View attachment 349436 View attachment 349437

Refreshing to see someone consider the repairs that needs to be done and ask a very fair price. The leather looks great.

alish

One of the Regulars

Thanks for the info that it reminds you of a Top Notch. I'm hoping someone might be able to ID it at some point. Terry thinks it might have been made in California / US west, but doesn't know maker. The closest anyone has has come is the Raglan sleeve jacket in Tanaka's book from the 30s, but so far there hasn't been any more info on that jacket either. Thanks again!!

Al 916

One Too Many
^^
A massive hole in shoulder, beware.

'massive' is a subjective....but yes I saw (and thank you).
Even with that it is a rather good price (for a very worn in look).

It's like the vase and profile silhouette graphic, is it a low light (dirt) or a high Light (wear in)

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

reminds you of a Top Notch. I'm hoping someone might be able to ID it at some point. Terry thinks it might have been made in California / US west

Does not look like a Ralphs-Pugh jacket, at least that I have documented. @handymike mentioned H&L Block which seems to me more likely. I have an achieve of Block and not seen this jacket or design, but they were a significant maker in the 30s. II have looked through a couple of references, but not found anything quite like it. I have yet to look in the Tanaka books. I'm reaching for them now.

I think every cool jacket variant was made in California!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto