Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Similar label on a wool jacket

Blackadder

Never seen anything like this, at least what I can tell from the horrible pictures! I can say it is c.1950 with that label and zipper. What a very odd jacket. Looks to have a badge holder? Weird belt, weird pockets, just weird.

This is at a time when Sears was sorta "experimenting" with designs, perhaps a prototype for a new model. I have one early Sears MC jacket I don't think was ever in their catalog. I have seen another MC jacket with this label, but it is not the same jacket. I will look it up.

Thanks for posting this most interesting Hercules, certainly one for the Book if not the Back.
Could it be made to order? It seems to be a police jacket. The jacket belt is higher up so duty belt can be worn separately under the jacket belt around the jacket but not held by the jacket.

Raul

One of the Regulars
Yep. I've got all my searches set to only Europe and so I don't even look at things listed outside of EU as it is, at this point, absolutely pointless. The added import taxes & duties are so high that we all can pretty much just automatically add 50% of the price to the total and feel lucky if it comes out less than that.

What's odd in your case is that there's supposed to be some kind of trade agreement between EU and Japan, that only makes you liable for VAT, whist the item itself should be void of duty taxes. I'm not sure how it goes, though, but I did have to pay only a standard 25% of VAT on my most recent purchase from Japan.
I agree, this is the reason why I already wrote in the past that a thread like this one but dedicated to european items would be welcome and helpful for some of us

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Never seen anything like this, at least what I can tell from the horrible pictures! I can say it is c.1950 with that label and zipper. What a very odd jacket. Looks to have a badge holder? Weird belt, weird pockets, just weird.

This is at a time when Sears was sorta "experimenting" with designs, perhaps a prototype for a new model. I have one early Sears MC jacket I don't think was ever in their catalog. I have seen another MC jacket with this label, but it is not the same jacket. I will look it up.

Thanks for posting this most interesting Hercules, certainly one for the Book if not the Back.
Could it be made to order? It seems to be a police jacket. The jacket belt is higher up so duty belt can be worn separately under the jacket belt around the jacket but not held by the jacket.
^^
Place for a badge is visible, could be a PD custom order.

One possibility that to me seems perhaps the most plausible is that there were some alterations done in addition to it being an old model. Not saying the entire jacket but perhaps only couple of things. I wonder it that badge holder was added for example?? Maybe the belt assembly?? The pictures being taken through a frosted lens don't help in seeing the details.

I wonder if custom orders were even available at that time. The catalog jackets of this era were made for Sears by various makers so it just seems like maybe super custom jackets were a step beyond how they were selling jackets back then. I could be wrong though. Maybe the catalog ads also mention custom orders are available but it just seems they were more likely production made and sold and then the user would have them altered after buying.

It is an odd Hercules for sure. That Hercules Leather and Wool combo jacket posted recently is also something you don't see every day.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Windward Horsehide from the 50s with the hang tags!!!

1647801414735.png

1647801436618.png

1647801461123.png

1647801486281.png

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
super clean earlier Taubers-Wow, this is really nice, check out the leather on this one. Not Shinki

1647802035653.png

1647802065263.png

1647802092197.png

View attachment 411750

View attachment 411751

View attachment 411752

View attachment 411753
Oh my!!! That’s almost an exact match for my Windward without the shearling collar. I make a few more sales and that’s mine

Upon closer inspection the French seams are unique, mine don’t have that. Man I want this jacket!!! These fit so incredibly well.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
...and just like that, Terry dropped two gems on us...

That Taubers is about as nice as you will find that jacket. To me it holds up against any of the new makers, Japanese or otherwise.

At $750 it compares to any of the high end contemporary jackets which are what? 2K

I've had a couple of these, this is probably the nicest, near new condition I have seen. The size tag is even clean!

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Oh my!!! That’s almost an exact match for my Windward without the shearling collar. I make a few more sales and that’s mine

Upon closer inspection the French seams are unique, mine don’t have that. Man I want this jacket!!! These fit so incredibly well.

I had this Windward in the same fine looking leather. As nice as any new or old leather you will find.

I hope you can work out a buy. Won't see a jacket like that again.

This was a 40 and I had to sell it. Never seen one as nice.

1647810769493.jpeg

1647810790313.jpeg

Blackadder

That Taubers is about as nice as you will find that jacket. To me it holds up against any of the new makers, Japanese or otherwise.

At $750 it compares to any of the high end contemporary jackets which are what? 2K

I've had a couple of these, this is probably the nicest, near new condition I have seen. The size tag is even clean!
Agree. I saw this one some time ago. Sleeves are too long for me though. Also even a vintage cut 40 is slightly too big everywhere for me.

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 411750

View attachment 411751

View attachment 411752

View attachment 411753
I've been following this seller ever since the too expensive Block Bilt jacket. Now this shows up...

It's unfortunate the shoulders of his jackets still look like what they do.
He made a big deal of reworking his patterns, but all the recent jackets i have seen show the same problems the old ones did...
Cats are outta the bag. The (thinner) Shinkis are only kicking the cans down the road. To be fair, every UK and EU jackets I have are more or less in this group. But they all have better finishings I give them that. But this also just contributes to kicking the cans down the road too.
It would help every jacket maker to test their pattern on the thickest 5oz hide they have before grading it up and down. The thicker hides are less forgiving now, but that's the point for better product down the road. Just a thought. A test pattern that works in 5oz hide will also work in 2oz hide. A test pattern that works on cloth may not work in 3oz leather.

Blackadder

Do people out there who own $1500+ "thin" shinki horsehide jackets ride in them? Just curious.
I think the cut is more relevant than the thickness of the hide and perhaps the price. The leather racing shirts say by Buco, Beck and HD etc are not exactly known for their thickness. A Langlitz may cost more than 1500.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko