Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Borsalino in grey.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks firstly to my long suffering pals on here, whom I inundated with rather impatient quick-time demanding decisions so that I could make an informed and 'quick' decision on whether to pull the trigger on this Borsalino. Reckon it's from the 40's, looks in fairly good nick and the price seemed to be 'fair.' (Let's see what the postage turns out to be[huh] ).

I'm not big into girly 'thin' ribbons around my hats [huh] That's just me. So I'll hold out until it gets here, but if need be, I'll see if Art can send me an appropriate colour vintage deep ribbon which I can tack on. But let's see what it looks like when it comes through;)

Nice 'highish' crown to this baby and a good deep brim. Can't wait!!!:D

OH P.S...Did a mammoth search (use the search engine in here folks, when it works, it's REALLY USEFUL!!) on Borsalino's and there's an absolute library of info in here!!! That really helped in my decisions on prices, quality...etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-BORSALI...9QQihZ020QQcategoryZ14065QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
fighting words..? of course they are :)

After how many years as a BT here now, things don't 'just slip out' of this pen unless there's proper planning and preparation behind it!.;)

I'm half expecting Scott to come out of the woodwork on this one!;) I know how he likes his 'little' ribbons!

Still, you never know, when this Borsalino comes through I 'just might' warm to the girlie ribbon [huh] Let's keep an open mind on it I say!:D

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
deanglen said:
I don't like thin ribbons...I dislike 'fat" ones.

dean

lol lol lol lol

Dean, you have such a way with words. I myself had thought that if indeed they are girlie ribbons and one is not man enough to pull it off,...... well I guess I should leave it at that. ;)

barrowjh

One Too Many
I was watching that one also, and had gotten the seller to clarify the size (she originally listed it as 7 1/4). I measure out to 7 1/4 on most charts, but then have to put a 1/16 thick cork strip around the entire circumference to make them fit, so I recently started watching 7 1/8 hats also, but cannot risk a lot of $$ on a hat that will probably be too tight. That looked like a fine hat to me, congratulations.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well, I'm hoping when this lid comes through...

...that it proves to be a nice find! It'll get a good home for an old timer like this one and I can't wait to see how it fits my auld noggin.

Glad to see it's getting the general 'seal of approval' from the rest of the gang in here, it's always a good sign;)

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Grey...?

I told you so-

You'll like the look when you get it- I'm sure.
Add some variety to your collection.

Grey..?
That hat looks like the classic Borsalino Beige to me.
It's a great colour.

Now you can join all the Brotherhoods here- just don't tell them it's a Borsalino.

Congrats!

B
T

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
From the auction:
his is the *finest* and lightest wool felt (likely fur) that you'll find, not the norm.

Aah- that wonderful fur wool.

I think you're going to get a nice hat there, Paddy. The lines certainly are.

D

dzacca

Baron Kurtz said:
As BellyTank says, i suspect a beige/cream rather than the grey. but it's sure to be grand whatever colour.

bk

The shots on that auction are heavely underexposed (1 stop or more), so you're almost certainly right. No withe balance, no exposure compensation, and if you look carefully at the brim you can see that the color fades from grey to something yellowish.

Paddy, let us know as soon as it arrives and post a photo of you wearing it :)

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well Paddy, if you're getting a borsalino you could'nt do much better. That hat looks terrific in any color. You will be pleased.

Dickie

New in Town
I was considering that hat as well - it looked nice and was in my size, but I just couldn't justify the money as I'm moving house in a month! Great hat though, well done...

D00R

One of the Regulars
thats an awesome hat!

i wear a borsalino and very happy with it.

What kind is that? an open crown Alessandria?

Great find, i would of bought it if it were bigger :eek:

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Phew!! all encouraging noises from the boys!

If you're anything like me when buying something on The Bay, well you hold your breath in anticipation, because...you just never know what's going to come out of that box when it arrives [huh]

Photos can (and are) misleading at times, sizes can be up the chute to what they were listed as, faults aren't pointed out..etc, etc. Then again, that glass can be half full too, and you get a seller who underpromises and overdelivers big time!! And you get a real gem of a find coming out of that box:eusa_clap

I'm really, REALLY hoping that it's a true 25 carat gem that comes out of this Borsalino box!!:)

Thanks for all that encouragement gents, it is really appreciated!;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters