Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Hat?

Queue

Familiar Face
I'm a graduate student so I'm on a very (very, very) limited budget and so I'm trying to find an inexpensive starter fedora. I'm curious how important y'all think exact hat sizes are. I found a cheap ($40) fedora at hatsinthebelfry (here) but it is sized S, M, L, XL. There are other fedoras but they all manifest the same "problem."

Many thanks!

Get a string & wrap it around your head where a hat would sit & find how long that string is. You're in grad school & I remember all kinds of measuring devices around when I was in grad school. On that web site is a how to size tab with inches to hat size. Treat it like a school assignment, solve the problem, get your hat size...

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Check here.........

Queue said:
A fine question to which I sadly do not have an answer. Off the cuff I would guess, to use those general sizes, large. I do not, however, have anything to measure my exact size.
Try this Link. If you don't have a cloth tape measure, you can us a piece of string, mark it, then measure the string with a ruler. [huh]

Queue

Familiar Face
My head is measuring between 22 1/4 and 22 1/2 inches which would be a hat size of 7 1/4 (or large) since I'm supposed to round up.

I wasn't just being lazy (well to an extent I suppose I was) but I used some spare wires, a random ribbon my girlfriend seems to have forgotten on my floor and a shoe lace which all presented unique challenges. But I think the mean is the above.

Is my size important in figuring out whether or not generalized sizing is ok?

Queue said:
...Is my size important in figuring out whether or not generalized sizing is ok?
Not really but your journey is just beginning! Enjoy the ride. I have bought XL which clearly stated was a 7 5/8 & had the hat be too tight in one model by the same company where another model it fit just right. You'll find out as you can afford it or find some good deals on vintage which your size allows, you'll want to know your correct size..:D

Queue

Familiar Face
gtdean48 said:
Not really but your journey is just beginning! Enjoy the ride. I have bought XL which clearly stated was a 7 5/8 & had the hat be too tight in one model by the same company where another model it fit just right. You'll find out as you can afford it or find some good deals on vintage which your size allows, you'll want to know your correct size..:D

Good to know and fair enough.

Thanks!

Michaelshane

One Too Many
You can get a much better hat than that for about that price,in that style.That's why I wanted to know your size.A starter hat could be a hat that you can wear for years,that wool hat wont last long,it will shrink..... Don't ask me how I know.....

Queue

Familiar Face
Michaelshane said:
You can get a much better hat than that for about that price,in that style.That's why I wanted to know your size.A starter hat could be a hat that you can wear for years,that wool hat wont last long,it will shrink..... Don't ask me how I know.....

I would guess, that as my mum says, you didn't learn it in a book...

What would you suggest then?

Michaelshane

One Too Many
When you get enough posts to be able to get a private message I'll see if I can help you.

How about this....I'll post a hat in the classifieds tomorrow.A dark brown Champ.

I have a daughter in college,I know how it is.

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
Some advice from a guy in his first year of hat wearing/collecting:

Skip the wool and skip the crushables. Go straight to fur. The quality is much better, the wear is much better, and the look is a helluva lot better. Also, from what I've seen, a better quality hat will have a size in numbers not S,M, L. Some of you that have been at this longer can say whether that's correct or not.

Before you buy anything, find a hat shop around and try on some hats. See what fits you well and what look you like. Then go troll around on eBay before you buy anything. There are some very good deals if you're willing to spend a little time with it.

It's my opinion that you're wasting time with wool hats. Once I moved to fur, I never wear the wool - except for a couple that I wear in really bad weather.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Hey Queue, and welcome.

I think you are a real candidate for a vintage hat. To me they are much more interesting with the history and authenticity. One has to accept that in most cases these are used items. To me that's not an obstacle but for some it gives them the huzz.

I second the notion that wool hats in "S, M, L," etc. for $40 are a waste of time and $40. I own a few and sometimes wear them for hiking but now I know that I can get a vintage fur felt hat of a quality that would put it in $200 territory for around $30 to $50.

Mostly, I have purchased on Ebay and I have gotten a few beauties from fellow Fedora Loungers. Knowing your actual hat size will come in handy but always try to get an inside diameter measurement from the seller as well. Know that they are not always accurate but it can help.

G'luck!

Goose.

Practically Family
Q...
You are on the right track by using a mean comparison:)
Before I go further, I commend you for sticking with your education.
Now that you have a close guesstimate of your noggin size...go to the mall.
Your tag indicates you're in D.C., so that should be relatively easy (finding a mall).
Go to one of the sports cap shops whree the local thugs get their lids that don't stay on straight and try some fitted ball caps. Not the adjustable band ones. Try several on and check the size tag.
That may help you a bit.
The general S, M, L, XL jazz is not worth the long term uncomfort a quality fitted hat will buy you...at any price point.

MattJH

One Too Many
I support everything mentioned so far. With a tight budget and a 7 1/4 hat size, you're going to have virtually little problem finding a fur-felt vintage fedora on eBay for $40 or under, and nearly all of them will be of better quality than any generic-sized wool felt you find at the same price.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
To answer your first question. Hat sizes are not exact. Even getting a 7 1/4 will not assure a good fit. And with used hats the problem is compounded. You may or may not get something that fits just right on the first try.

carldelo

One Too Many
Queue said:
My head is measuring between 22 1/4 and 22 1/2 inches which would be a hat size of 7 1/4 (or large) since I'm supposed to round up.

Just to be pedantic, US hat size is head circumference divided by Pi. 22-1/2 inches is more like a size 7-1/8. You are blessed with a normal size head and can (and should) take advantage of all the vintage lids out there in your size.

In my experience, a thin string will give a measurement that's too small. Using something like a 1" wide belt (about the width of a hat band) will give a better measurement. Also, fabric tapes only cost a dollar or so. Trying on hats is a good way too, although I have 3 size 7-3/4 Stetsons that all fit slightly differently, so hats aren't exactly made to rigorous standards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot