Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First-time Tuxedo Buyer

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Hello all...

I wore a tux for the first time while I was in England, for a ball I went to at Cambridge University. I had to wear my dad's, which was cool, but now I want one of my own. I don't really know where I'll wear, except to prom (I'm still in high school) and I don't plan to buy my own just yet. I think I'll probably hold off till Christmas, but I want to start planning.

As this is my first one and I'm still in high school, I don't want anything too expensive. Other than that, I'm open to suggestions.

Help please!

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Kodiak said:
Hello all...

I wore a tux for the first time while I was in England, for a ball I went to at Cambridge University. I had to wear my dad's, which was cool, but now I want one of my own. I don't really know where I'll wear, except to prom (I'm still in high school) and I don't plan to buy my own just yet. I think I'll probably hold off till Christmas, but I want to start planning.

As this is my first one and I'm still in high school, I don't want anything too expensive. Other than that, I'm open to suggestions.

Help please!

You might keep an eye out on Ebay for a vintage tuxedo in your size. Because they were not worn as often or as hard, they're much more plentiful than vintage suits and can often be had fairly cheaply. Just make sure you get trousers and jacket together. It's virtually impossible to match separate pieces, even with black.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you're really interested, be sure to check the current thread with some advice here:Do You Own A Tux

And most importantly, read this thread thoroughly: Formal Wear Primer

Because you're still in high school and therefore, prone to growing horizontally and vertically, you should probably consider renting a tux.

Dinner wear should be an investment lasting at least five years and possibly for life. You should be able to purchase your trousers with 2 or 3 inches room to let out and a jacket should basically fit the entire time (if it doesn't, pick a new one up).

I would hate to see a young person purchase a tuxedo only to grow out of it within a few years. But if you insist on owning one, maybe consider...bleh...a polyester combo. They're cheap and when you grow out of it, at least you can donate it without remorse.

Edward

Bartender
Some good advice here, to which I'll add my own $0.02...

The first thing I too thought when I read your age was that it's a bad idea to buy rather than rent at this point as the chances are that you'll not get much opportunity to wear it before you inevitably grow out of it. Now, that said.... over here in the UK, you're looking nowadays about GBP50 or so to hire the full outfit. When i bought the (modern style - I'm hopnig to repalce it before too many more years with something more 30s) dj and trousers I have, I paid GBP100 - it's been worn maybe foour or five times to date, so it certainly has proven cheaper than hiring - the last two or three wears have been effectively free as compared to hiring. If you can be sure that this would be the case for you too, it might be a viable option to buy. I'd still at your age not think about buying new - instead, go looking for something used. Vintage pieces are always a good idea - they're normally beautifully made, and if you look after them, once you grow out of it they will retain soem value on the used market to sell on. Keep an eye on eBay for used stuff. Used black tie wear is great - it's typically seen very little wear. If you can find the style you want, ex-rental is also often a good option. Many rental firms have a very short shelf life for the garments they hire out (so they always look fresh and new in photos - especially true of stuff worn to weddings) - they of course buy in bulk at a low cost per unit, so they can make a fair profit on a garment hired out maybe only half a dozen times. Which means you can get a great bargain on an ex-rental... Just a thought! Charity (thrift? Goodwill?) shops are a great option too - my first dj & matching trousers came from a charity shop back in Northern Ireland for GBP3.00 - that's about six bucks now. I grew out of them years ago, but even that first wearing they only cost a fraction of what they would have to hire. I think I got either two or three wears out of them before I outgrew them. Worth considering!

Midnight Blue

One of the Regulars
Since time is on your side you might want to consider renting a couple of times so that you can try out the many different variations of black tie that are available e.g. shawl collar vs peak lapel, waistcoat vs cummerbund.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
If you have to have just one - my pick would be a DB shawl collar. It's the most versatile and doesn't need a vest or bellyband - or even suspenders if your trou fit well. It can even dress a teeny bit "prep" if you want to put high-shine black loafers or a heavily starched buttondown with you black tie (try it sometime - it feels good).

About the only limitation is they don't look great with your typical ready made wing collar shirt - you need a big collar like the below - but there are plenty of fold collar shirts to pick from as well.

45_photo.jpg

Perry Ellis 2x1 model.
2954.jpg

4x1 model. Mine (a Jones NY) looks like this.

Undertow

I'd say in this day and age, that's a pretty good recommendation Fletch. The DB could be seen as both casual and formal, which means you won't be "overdressing" (such as outdressing a groom) in any purists eyes or underdressing for any black-tie event. And as already stated, you wouldn't have to invest in a waistcoat or cummerbund, or suspenders.

I purchased my DB Shawl collar for all those reasons!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Just one more thing tho - you may have to shop around for a really classic cut in the DB shawl. It's not as traditional as the SB, so a lot of them have a cheap "Oscar de la Rental" look.

Here's one that's no too bad and low priced (used on eBay for $16.99, less trou).
AlexanderJullianDB6BtnShawl.jpg

This is an Alexander Julian, very similar to my Jones NY.
The 6x1 button look is kinda overkill unless you're really tall, but you could easily remove the top 2 buttons, and maybe move the middle 2 up a bit, for a very classic 4x1.
The thing that's great about this is the full, curved look to the shawls. Most don't have that look.

luvthatlulu

Suspended
Kodiak said:
Hello all...

Help please!

Where in Kentucky are you located? Do you ever get in the Knoxville, Tn area? I would recommend a trip to John H. Daniel Custom Tailors www.johnhdaniel.com some time during the fall when they have their buy one get one free sale. Considering your age, probable budget, and the mere fact that you'll no doubt outgrow whatever you choose in the next few years, I recommend them for price alone. They do a respectable job (Henry Poole or Anderson & Sheppard they are not) for about a third of what you might expect to pay for any custom suit of clothes, and when they are having this sale you could pick up a nice suit as well (trust me, you'll need one soon anyway if you don't already have one). They keep a good selection of OTR dinner jackets and trousers as well for even more savings; and, most importantly, will make sure you get the right fit -- something you are unlikely to get at the local mall rental store.

;)

Undertow

Yeah, that's another thing. I won't name names, but there are some places that will send you bumbling out the door in some wool/poly sack that looks terribe.

And they'll talk you into wearing a purple necktie and Loony Tunes Cummerbund.

luvthatlulu

Suspended
Kodiak...

What size dress shirt do you wear? If it happens to be 15 1/2 x 35, I 've got a brand new wing collar formal shirt from Mark Shale made by Gitman Bros that you can have. I can't wear that size anymore and it needs a new home. It is wrinkled badly from just being haphazardly folded and tossed on a closet shelf but it has never been worn or laundered. Brand new. Hope it is your size. Call it a small contribution to bringing some style back to America's youth.

Not the Lulu

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass