Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Riu

Practically Family
I thought it might suit a Bootlegger style....we shall see.

Bootlegger seems good for that type, I'm sure they'll do a great job on it, just make sure you get all the details and measurements right for them. Good luck with it :)

d z

New in Town
Took a chance on the Five Star horse hide, since I wanted something thinner for spring/fall, and a change from the thick horse hides I already have.

This is the seal brown horse hide. It's definitely thin, but drapes nicely for tshirt only wear.

Not much interesting going on in terms of color variation or texture/grain, but I think I like it for casual warm weather.

IMG_4465.jpg Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 5.58.25 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 5.58.11 PM.png

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Took a chance on the Five Star horse hide, since I wanted something thinner for spring/fall, and a change from the thick horse hides I already have.

This is the seal brown horse hide. It's definitely thin, but drapes nicely for tshirt only wear.

Not much interesting going on in terms of color variation or texture/grain, but I think I like it for casual warm weather.

View attachment 332448 View attachment 332449 View attachment 332450
Looks like a great fiT! Glad someone finally ordered a horsehide from them. Can you pls post close up photos of the hide? Is it corrected grain?

One coat and the chocolate milk jug is gone. I’ll do one more tomorrow. Tandy dark mahogany eco flo. Too much work IMO but it paid off. I’m glad I spec’d a black liner.
View attachment 332466
View attachment 332464 View attachment 332465
Can't wait to see the final product. Maybe I'll re dye my black deerskin from them too so it's not as flat.

Wow, you can probably use that for boots

Can't wait to see the final product. Maybe I'll re dye my black deerskin from them too so it's not as flat.
I’m a bit concerned. It’s dry to the touch but when I wiped the zipper with a wet rag it bled like a stuck pig. I gave it an additional coat and will wait until tomorrow to see how color fast it is. If it can’t stay true then it’s getting another bath, sand paper and acrylic dye. At this point, this jacket is just an experiment in leather craft. LOL.

Riu

Practically Family

View attachment 332448 View attachment 332449 View attachment 332450

Superb jacket and fit right there!

How does the leather feel? Is the thickness even? I thought about going with the horsehide on my latest project but it just seemed too thin and I saw some people complaining about the leather being very thin in some areas so I didn't want to take the chance.

d z

New in Town
Looks like a great fiT! Glad someone finally ordered a horsehide from them. Can you pls post close up photos of the hide? Is it corrected grain?

Not sure if corrected grain, here are closeups:

Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 3.56.41 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 3.55.56 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 3.57.35 PM.png

Superb jacket and fit right there!

How does the leather feel? Is the thickness even? I thought about going with the horsehide on my latest project but it just seemed too thin and I saw some people complaining about the leather being very thin in some areas so I didn't want to take the chance.

It's definitely thin, but the thickness feels even enough. I'd put it on the order of some of the thin lambskin you find on some jackets. It feels more fragile than some of my other jackets, as in I'd be worried about tears and punctures in daily use.

Would I pay the $100 premium that this cost over goat again? Probably not, until either the thickness or color is improved.

Riu

Practically Family
Not sure if corrected grain, here are closeups:

View attachment 332649 View attachment 332650 View attachment 332651

It's definitely thin, but the thickness feels even enough. I'd put it on the order of some of the thin lambskin you find on some jackets. It feels more fragile than some of my other jackets, as in I'd be worried about tears and punctures in daily use.

Would I pay the $100 premium that this cost over goat again? Probably not, until either the thickness or color is improved.

The leather looks nice, shame is that thin though. I don't think I'll get anything in HH either until they don't get a different one.

Final color coat applied, I’m sure I’ve reached the saturation point and I’ve essentially turned the russet to seal. There’s a little copper tone showing which is cool. I have the satin sheen sealer that I’ll apply tomorrow. Then that’s it.
The moral of the story...Order black or seal and nothing else, unless you REALLY like chocolate milk;
Before:
71596755-933E-4003-A568-C8565764AC8B.jpeg

After:
5D6E63F8-371B-403B-A9FB-CE52C696B439.jpeg
96DBE014-BE1A-4E3A-9815-EDB15588978B.jpeg
E9D5384E-01CE-4F1D-BBC7-7DC30BC23501.jpeg

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
True, the lighting could be better or better yet take the photo out in the sun. Hopefully they can produce better leather in house or atleast offer Leathers from tried/tested tanneries

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21